Sign in to follow this  
Deus Ex

If you could pick, what would you change to make OFP better?

SDK, Join In Progress, better net code for multiplay, fix for my FF2 joystick (has no autocenter) wink.gif

I think it's almost fine as it is. I don't want Join In Progress, but anyway there will never be such an option for OFP. There is a few very minor things I'd like to change:

- An option for setting time scale without your men running equally fast

- Option for setting soldiers as respawnable but NOT playable in MP.

- A command for setting something to indestructable (ammo boxes, Field hospitals etc.)

- Get rid of people on GS who just want 30mins fast action games when I explicitly explain to them that games on our server is made for teamwork and 2 hours of play.

The netcode has been improved alot... they might be able to improve it further, but I think they did well.

Besides I want them to start working on OFP2 when they feel they can't add anymore to this game... and I want them to have OFP2 focus on online gaming. They could use the same graphics, sounds, islands etc... all that is perfect.

better netcode so that ju can join games in progress just like CS

More world.

OFP is the best example I have ever seen of this, though I still hope for more :-)

I'd like more ambient life, rivers, bridges, trains, traffic system in populated areas, etc.

I know it's a combat game, but without the world combat is meaningless.

For example, sneaking in forrests should be like real life hunting. Looking for tracks, listening for sounds .. mistaking a deer for a ruski ...!

Oh yeah, and a shopping mall ...

... I've always wanted to run an Abrams through a mall biggrin.gif

1. Join in progress and respawn for multiplayer.

2. Make enemy stand out a bit more and perhaps less accurate (the AI is so freakin evil in this game. They just lie down and camp while you walk past them and get shot.

3.  No more falling through walls inside houses (no more clipping.)

4.  Make your AI use cover better.

5. ABILITY TO LEAN AROUND CORNERS!! For goodness sake, how many soldiers jump around a corner to see what is going on?  How many humans would walk around a corner knowing that someone that doesn't want you alive is point a loaded gun in that direction??  

6.  A way to bypas the intro screen for flashpoint (like with spacebar).  I love what BIS did with this game.  But I don't want to be forced to wait for the beginning credits to roll by in the game every time I start it up. smile.gif

(Edited by angrysquirrel at 11:42 am on Jan. 4, 2002)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from angrysquirrel on 11:41 am on Jan. 4, 2002

6.  A way to bypas the intro screen for flashpoint (like with spacebar).  I love what BIS did with this game.  But I don't want to be forced to wait for the beginning credits to roll by in the game every time I start it up. smile.gif

<span id='postcolor'>

Try running OFP with the "-nosplash" command.

more realistic damage to vehicles

more gun positions on the chinook

wildlife for sinlge player (such as flocks of birds that can be disturbed)

bunkers and other cover that can actually help and is the correct hight (unlike sandbags as they are)

windows that are the correct height so you can shoot out of them

the ability to carry more ammo (not a rediculous ammount, just something a bit more realistic, especially with weapons like the kozlice and m203 grenade laucher)

long grass and landscape movement such as trees swaying in the wind to make it more difficult to spot enemies (I know this won't be implemented in flashpoint but would be good in ofp2)

more objects for the editor like bushes, hedgerows for fields, bushels of hay, etc

weaken the hum vee

make the planes fly better

smoke dispensors for tanks

a truck with a missle launcher on the back (one of those ones with like 50/100 rockets - you just point the truck in the general direction and fire off all the rockets like artilery)

anti-aircraft guns - either stationary or towable by a truck or jeep.

make hide and find cover commands work better so you could actually set up a good ambush.

directional ap mines like a claymore (with a remote detonator with limited range like the satchel charges)

make an option that allows guns to jam. Obvoiously some guns would jam more than others (the m16 would more often than the ak for example)

I could go on for ages, but I still love the game as it is.

Well I personally like the realistic battlefields like WW2 Online, so I would recommend them making a bunch of singleplayer missions that might take a few hours to beat, with long walks and waits.

This might be if they make like an OFP2 but I think many of the Vehicals are just too easy to play as. I know many of you think it would ruin gameplay or something but, going back to WW2OL it is very realistic yet still easy.. I.E. The tanks, you have to shift, It would just make it feel like your more in the game.

some more additions

white phosphorous bombs/rockets for aircraft - should be easy to implement, probably already been done by someone but it's nice to get official addons

make it so you can control the tank like you are the driver if you have an ai driver and you are the gunner or commander. The current order system sucks as the driver tends to pretend to do as you say then drive off in any direction he see's fit

the ability to dig fox holes

a minigun for the blackhawk

Better targeting with guided missles on chopper, higher view distance in SP (1300m) and some other thiny things. Not important.

Let's see..

1. ability to swin

2. join in progress

3. MOD tools (some will be released)

4. bridges

5. more houses

6. more interactive enviornment(as far as buildings and stuff... trees and bushes are good already)

7. better netcode

8. out of game map editor

9. terrain editor(kind of falls into #3....)

10. in-game multiplayer setup... like Half life's and bnet

11. less errors and less reinstalling of OFP

12. elephants and flamingos-pink ones

13. easier to use editor

14. more civilian models

15. less people who complain

ofp is bad ass already, but those things would be cool to have!

Before OFP came out, I always imagined it to be a 'real time battlefield' type game. But, It turned out to be just one single mission that took part on one large island.

I think OFP was always suited to one-giant-conflict which took place 24/7, much like WWIIOL and EECH. In EECH, you literally..just pick your mission, role, helicopter and carry it out over a vast realtime battlefield. All sorts of things take place like; enemy artillery strikes, enemy counter-attacks, airstrikes, logistical support etc. For instance, a recce mission is called for..so I select my RAH-66, fly out with my full-stealth-config to my target, transmit recon data to base and 30 mins later, along comes a sqaudron of A-10's and blows the #### out of it!

This is how I imagined OFP, but I know for shure that in OFP's current state..it would be impossible. Imagine how multiplayer could be? Maybe OFP2?

Commands like "FIRE" or "TOW" overiding other voice information, that is not critical, when you are in a combat zone..

You can fly over a tank, click fire.. and the command isnt executed until the previous voice information has finished.. which then fires your TOW into trees instead..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WTFonslaught @ Jan. 07 2002,10:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Commands like "FIRE" or "TOW" overiding other voice information, that is not critical, when you are in a combat zone..<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, you should be able to speak in Vehicle Channel while someone else speaks in Group Channel. (Don't know if it's possible by now.)

<ul>

[*] Wider array of animations.

- Lean left/right

- weapon stance prone/crouched/stand variations.The G36 is only about a bit less than 4kg, but holding it steady freehand aimed for several minutes tires your arms, and gets you easy off target because your muscles start shaking slightly after some time, at 200m moving the barrel only a couple of millimetres caused by shaking will let you miss your target most certainly.

So from time to time soldiers should lower their weapons. They only should aim their weapon at the target immediately before firing (prerequisite is that they have spot an enemy that is within range and can most possibly be hit effectively), just to lower it again after the shot breaks, pointing the barrel about 45° down or so again and observe.

[*] Changing the appearance of the terrain

Making it more wavy/bumby, with more natural cover other than huge hills, stones, trees etc. Where are the ditches i got so dirty and this stinking flavour from during basic training. Where are those fortified positions dugged in partially, trenches, posts, arty craters, Tread ditches.

Terraforming needed here.

[*] ADDING SUPPORT FOR HIGHER TEXTURE RESOLUTIONS

256x256 is enough at 200m+ distance, but in the immidiate area it´s just blurry and stretched to much.

OFP should support textures at least the size of 512x512px, although 1024x1024 would be even better.

I assume that 90% of todays systems would do even more than that.

[*] Multiplayer

- Join in progress (Host needs to give clearance)

- Weapon/equipment selection 8for infantry) independant of what was placed on the map by the mission designer. i as many others like to choose what they´re taking into combat, and not what someone thinks is right for me, or for that map.

- Easier GUI arranged Ded. Server setup

- more statistics like hit percentage, shots fired etc.

[*] Replace arcade radars on top of the screen with more realistic ones placed into the cockpit, you should rely more on your visuals than on radar on such small operation theatres, this   makes battle last longer

Realistically this may be correct for nowadays conflicts that you will get a positive OPFOR (Sattelite/Electro-optical/Radar/other sensor) recon on your position pretty quick, this is why todays conflicts are fought at an insane pace and stationary defences don´t last long, but this is a game right, meant to be fun and challenging and not just some fire and forget.

- example, i really got the drift for hiding APC´s or MBT´s in woods, now visually it´s almost perfect, you don´t see much more than a barrel sticking out of the fir, to all sides good consealment.

But there comes this pesky MI-24 driver and just fires away on my position, all efforts hiding myself worth nothing.  

[*]Bouncing off tracers

Probably the only thing i liked about Gunship! were the bouncing off tracers when they hit something hardened.

At night this looks especially amazing.

[*]More commands at my disposal

Bounding Overwatch the most important, prerequisite it is executed properly by AI.

[*]BETTER SOUNDS

What bugs me personally maybe the most, are the sounds that are as dry as a 200y old biscuit.

There are more things, but i have no time right now.

....and another thing I forgot was 'tank riding', yeah. I mean, lets face it who actually would wanna sit inside a BMP?, uh?...not me. I would wanna sit on top! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theguyonthecouch @ Jan. 06 2002,06:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Join in progress for MP

and fix the landing auto pilot for the cessna, it moves up and down like a mofo<span id='postcolor'>

I have a fix for that.

I will release a planes pack soon with the fix!

Includes light bomber planes, etc. Works like a charm.

But anyway, who uses auto-landing? Spastic children? smile.gif

i would wanna call in artilery strikes and maybe some more death animations, like being blown to pieces, or getting limps blown off wow.gif