Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

Dual processor machines

Is it possible to have, on a dual processor machine, one instance of an Operation Flashpoint dedicated server use one processor, and another Operation Flashpoint dedicated server use the other processor?

BIS?

If not, maybe you could release a new multiprocessor dedicated server version that could do this.

Yes, this is indeed possible. One public server I know of that does this is Zeus.

I would venture to guess there are other OFP server(s) running on MP processor machines.

However, if they (or others) specifically assigns one OFP instance to one processor and the other to the second

by way of processor affinity settings, I don't know. Nor do I know if that is neccessary or beneficial.

Is it possible to have 2 3.2 Ghz processor P4 using Xeon Dual stuff rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]Is it possible to have 2 3.2 Ghz processor P4 using Xeon Dual stuff

Nope, the P4 is SP only. For two or more physical processors, you need Xeon processors (available at up to 3.06 GHz at this time, IIRC)

And Hyper Threaded processors? What of those? rock.gif

Yes, we are using a 2 CPU system and run 2 or 3 OFP servers simultaneously (2 x 2.2 GHz XeonDP)

At the start of the project we assigned each OFP session to one of the CPUs but we later decided to discard it because performance was higher by letting the OS do the job of task distribution alone (Linux, Suse Enterprise server 8.1).

Later we enabled hyperthreading as well, which gave us another performance boost of roughly 10 percent. Now the servers are running on 4 virtual CPUs which looks like this:

top.jpg

Performance is ok although I think it still could be optimized. But me being a Linux n00b doesn't help so if anyone here is a server performance tweaking expert I am gladly awaiting your tips tounge_o.gif

Watching process repartition on our dual PIII linux box, I saw the processes sharing evenly access to both processors. I would say it is better not to force process on one processor, because the ofp linux server lanuches multiple instance of itself (threads?), and when 1 server goes high on CPU, is when 2 of it's processes are running at the same time, one on each processor, while the second server instance uses the less crowded processor.

Linux does share fairly enough, no need to force it.

Whis'