The Grease Mage

Understanding character movement (how do I change movespeed?)

Hey y'all,

I'm freshly dipping my toes in the waters of Arma III modding in general, with the aim of tweaking MP gameplay for my friends & I. I've been doing my own research for a bit, but I'm getting to the point where I ought check my understanding with others.

I ideally want to play around with infantry movement, and eventually, health, damage, and weapon mechanics. First thing I've been looking at is how on-foot movement speed is controlled.

Despite my best hopes that there would be a object definition with movespeed vars I could change via console functions to modify an object's movement speeds - it seems the only option for that, is setAnimSpeedCoef. Which definitely makes you move faster\slower how I like, and looks very funny, but the intense crackhead energy it gives off doesn't strike me as ideal (yet). I would like to adjust move speed independently of animation playback speed.

To test changing config values, I modded configFile >> "CfgMovesMaleSdr" >> "States" >> "(movement animation here)" >> "speed" using someone else's mod (didn't want to play with the core files). I increased the "speed" property for certain animations (like sprinting) but like the wiki suggests, it just changes playback speed and gives the same crackhead energy as setAnimSpeedCoef, albeit for whatever animations you chose. I'm going to look for other properties, possibly under CfgMoves (relSpeedMin\Max) or CfgVehicles(maxSpeed). If that doesn't work, I'm wondering if the movespeed is controlled somewhere along the animation inclusion process or behind a source code wall. That still strikes me as strange, considering the ability to mod in new vehicles with their own movement properties independent of animation.

On the odds anyone knows exactly what I'm looking for, had experience with these areas, just sees an error in my understanding, or knows I'm about to hit some brick wall, just lmk. Thanks.