Sign in to follow this  
joltan

Non-standard sized islands

Has anyone experimented with Islands bigger than 256x256 grid size? I tried 512x512 and it seems to work fine (including textures ingame) apart from a few little problems:

<ul>[*]when placing objects like roads, they don't apear in the correct position ingame - although they look just fine in Buldozer. Looks like the objects positions are relative to the map extend, with Buldozer using the full map size for reference and the game only the lower left 256x256 block.

[*]When trying to show the textures in the mission editor the game crashes. Ingame they work fine though, and as long as I don't use the "show textures" option in the mission editor I can place units etc without troubles.

Not sure wether these problems are really related to the map size, but it's the most likely explanation I could come up with. Any ideas how to get around these problems?

I don't think there is a way to get around these probs. Both problems are related to the fact that the coordinates and grid system OFP uses is not scalable - ie. when you make a 512x512 sized map there aren't four times as many map grids as before. It still just goes from A - J and from 0 - 9, so in the editor everything has to be stuffed into the smaller map. Same goes for showing the textures in the mission editor - the game probably crashes because it doesn't know how to stuff four times as many textures into a small map.

Your first problem can be solved by changing the settings for bulldozer to 512x512.

You can do this in:

Tools->System Preferences -> Real Time Viewer -> Standard dimensions of world in viewer.

(Don't forget to change this again before you load a different sized map)

Your second problem seems related to missing textures. Sometimes you place a combination of basic textures on your map where not all secondary textures (automatically placed by Visitor) exist. In bulldozer such missing textures are shown as white.

When you load your map in the game and press "show textures" in the editor the missing secondary texture isn't found and the game crashes.

If you don't let the textures display in the editor then the game doesn't crash but the missing transition texture is also shown as white ingame then.

You can regenerate all the secondary textures with an option in the Texture Manager:

Tools -> Texture Manager -> Regenerate secondary textures.

One problem I came across when trying to edit bigger sized maps is that the maximum zoom level on bigger maps is less than on 256x256 maps so you have quite some problems with placing and editing objects on a 1024x1024 map.

@MadDogX:

You can change the grid settings in the map config. I don't think that those grid settings have anything to do but with the AI using the grid names for navigation.

When you don't change the grid settings in your map config then the grid names repeat themself and give the AI problems.

But you shouldn't get problems because of this in Visitor or when loading the map in the game.

Doh, I got it working all by myself: I had set the grid size for Buldozer to 25m at some earlier point - just changing the "Real size of one displayed square" back to the default (50m) fixed both problems.

Great, now I can really start working on that island!

Within the cpp you can create a complete new one custom grid with presetable extend and zoom properties, where the AI even speaks new grid letter and/or numbers (It must not be necessarily from A-L or 0-9)

Within the cpp you can create a complete new one custom grid with presetable extend and zoom properties, where the AI even speaks new grid letter and/or numbers (It must not be necessarily from A-L or 0-9)

You mind sharing that knowledge with us?

Here's grid setting for a 512x512 map-

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> class Grid

{

offsetX=0;

offsetY=0;

class Zoom1

{

zoomMax=0.200000;

format="XY";

formatX="Aa";

formatY="00";

stepX=256;

stepY=256;

};

class Zoom2

{

zoomMax=1e30;

format="XY";

formatX="A";

formatY="0";

stepX=2560;

stepY=2560;

};

};

Heres the original grid settings (from config.bin)-

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> class Grid

{

offsetX=0;

offsetY=0;

class Zoom1

{

zoomMax=0.200000;

format="XY";

formatX="Aa";

formatY="00";

stepX=128;

stepY=128;

};

class Zoom2

{

zoomMax=1000000015047466219900000000000.000000;

format="XY";

formatX="A";

formatY="0";

stepX=1280;

stepY=1280;

};

};

I'm pretty sure grids DO have to be from A-J & 0-9. The radio speech doesnt go above J (Juliet).

AI has the order to talk on what's standing in formatX and formatY ! Have posted long time ago a tut on how to setup the grid parameters, for instance for UTM grids and for encoded grid speach tables, as used in combat reality sometimes. I will look to refurbish the tut a little bit and to see where to post it.

I just had a look in Voice.pbo and alphabet goes all the way up to Z biggrin_o.gif Never actually heard them say zulu, oscar, sierra etc ingame. Would be good to have AI calling out different co-ordinates on a new island. "Need repairs, postion, Romeo, 34421" or something biggrin_o.gif

Well, just tried ingame and it seems ai will only call out co-ordinates up to J anyway sad_o.gif

Had more those things in mind,

class Grid

{

offsetX=0;

offsetY=2800;

class Zoom0

{

zoomMax=0.002;

format="XY";

formatX="000";

formatY="000";

stepX=1;