Sign in to follow this  
Koolkid101

New verison of afghanistan island v3

There are services on the internet where you send them links and they d/l the stuff for you, burn it on cd and send it to you by mail. Or you get a friend with broadband to d/l the stuff for you and burn it on cd. All ppl i know have broadband, but even we sometimes burn cds with addons and send them to each other because that's less hassle then SEARCHING for 700mb of old and obscure addons with the right version and d/l them piece for piece. I just happen to have one such cd lying on my desk.... have to go to the post office ;)

So what happend...almost 3 months have passed since the last update post from cat and the island appeared to shape up well..

Is my favourite island never gonna get an update?

CAT is in college, and I imagine very busy (though there have been rumoured sightings on the occasional OFP server wink_o.gif ).

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't made any new missions because the last time I did he updated the map and it ruined all my old missions that were based on that big city that simulated Kabul...which he erased on the last update while changing all the terrain as well.

He apologized about doing that which was good of him, but still personally I'm not going to make any missions on the Afghanistan map until the map is finalized.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

i just didnt overrite his second version so i still have his second since i prefer his second 1

if ur still there cat

theres some points of the big city in version 2 where ai cant travel

im telling u this coz u said u were gonna bring back the large city on the next version tounge_o.gif

Guys where are the missions? tounge_o.gif

I was dying to play some but it seems noones maing them except for maybe DVC .... (or so i am hoping he is) rock.gifbiggrin_o.gif

The Islands Update has been delayed due to a problem CAT has encountered in the islands textures they suddenly went berzerk and wont work properly in visitor IF you can help him please reply in THE VISITOR forum.Thank you smile_o.gif

Guys where are the missions?  tounge_o.gif

Based on past experiences with this island being so drastically changed between beta versions, I think a lot of mission makers have been scared off until a final version is released with some sort of assurance that towns and other objects will no longer disappear or be moved.

I think we had fixed that issue in the 3rd version we replaced all the towns you had asked for the ones on which Nagual made his missions. rock.gif

I played the map yesterday (3rd version) with Naguals missions works fine smile_o.gif

I think if you guys make missions in that old city where Nagual made his mission and the surrounding where abouts your missions will be safe , cause be are not changing those places.

cause we are not changing those places.

But other places, yes? See! That's why I would wait before doing any more missions on this island.

Yes but simple infantry contact missions arent hard to make are they? smile_o.gif Not too time consuming and easily shiftable.

I was still experimenting yesterday with sounds and got the mosque to play the 'Azan' tounge_o.gif ...

I was still experimenting yesterday with sounds and got the mosque to play the 'Azan'  tounge_o.gif  ...

Scripted for 5 times a day?

I was still experimenting yesterday with sounds and got the mosque to play the 'Azan'  tounge_o.gif  ...

Scripted for 5 times a day?

LOL now thats the hard part  biggrin_o.gif

Me and robbo will be slaving over a couple of missions and we will throwing them your way soon....so you'll see...we might also haveone modern version of the conflict in afghanistan ...i.e US vs taliban [ thats for the mission only not OUR original MODS campaign] and a Russian vs Mujahideen too.

The American mission is embedded with a totally new never before done concept lets hope we pull it through. smile_o.gif

Do it in chronological order, first the British go there and achieve nothing, then the Russians the same and then the of course the Americans. wink_o.gif

Do it in chronological order, first the British go there and achieve nothing, then the Russians the same and then the of course the Americans.  wink_o.gif

Haha nice one Jinef tounge_o.gif

Failure after failure , i will just need to change the foreign forces then since the afghans havent changed much through all these conflicts wink_o.gif

Here is the link to a post I made a few weeks ago on the Nomad forums at Opflash.org

This Forum Thread this basically explains what is going on with the island.

The texture problem is identified as this

Visitor problem thread

This is all that is holding it back from internal testing and an quick release after this. So if anyone knows how to fix this or a work around, Please email either me or acecombat or IM us these forums, so we can get into quick contact with Cat_Sh*T_one.

Hopefully that clears some stuff up smile_o.gif

And as usual any questions, post them and we'l answer them as soon as we can.

What would really be nice is if the Catshit objects (and associated textures) were placed into a seperate .pbo. That way they could be used on other maps by mission makers or by mapmakers who are doing other desert maps (like for Iraq).

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Umm, where could I download this? The ofp.info link seems broken. sad_o.gif

I'm afraid ofp.info is the only link I can think off that has it. Keep refreshing and it sometimes works.

Quote[/b] ]What would really be nice is if the Catshit objects (and associated textures) were placed into a seperate .pbo. That way they could be used on other maps by mission makers or by mapmakers who are doing other desert maps (like for Iraq).

Just so I understand this correctly, do you mean a seperate PBO for Island makers? Currently all the objects can be found in the editor, but I guess you referring to island making.

I'll see what I can do, It may even come with the next release, I'll discuss it with the team in the coming days.

Thanks for your suggestion smile_o.gif

Nah, the server is not busy, the file permissions are wrong or its missing, either way reloading will not help. sad_o.gif

It's a very nice island, i'm suprised noone has made any missions for it before.

Just so I understand this correctly, do you mean a seperate PBO for Island makers? Currently all the objects can be found in the editor, but I guess you referring to island making.

I'll see what I can do, It may even come with the next release, I'll discuss it with the team in the coming days.

Thanks for your suggestion smile_o.gif

Exactly. Basically a pbo containing the beautiful Catshit buildings and objects (like the mosques, caves, ect...).

They are currently the best Middle Eastern buildings I've seen so far and would save Island makers a TON of work making customized buildings for their maps. That way also you could have one desert objects pbo file that could be shared by many desert maps. This would help reduce the "can not memory map ___.pbo" error that happens when a computer's RAM gets filled up because of all the addons.

In other words you could have multiple maps in an addons (or MOD) directory that all share the same objects and therefore would take up less RAM when you play OFP using those maps.

Anyways, I'm sure many map (island) makers would be very appreciative if they were allowed to use Catshit's objects with their desert maps (with proper credits of coarse).

Your mod team's Afghanistan maps are still I think the best around. I'm looking forward to the next version.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

It's a very nice island, i'm suprised noone has made any missions for it before.

Others have said the same thing. Read the thread to see why few people have used this map for missions. But I think that the Nomad mod team has learned lessons from this so hopefully future map versions will be more consistent so that mission makers will not have to completely redo their missions every time a new version of their Afghanistan map comes out.

Catshit has been very patient with those criticisms so hopefully after version 4 is out, mission makers will begin to make more missions for that map if the Nomad team promises not to move around towns anymore once they settle on a map layout that they are happy with.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

if ur looking for missions, check out Avon's FAQ - Mission of the Moment section.

theres a few nice missions for it that use BAS addons, but i think it uses an earlier version of the Island, im not too sure.

Excuse me Miles but Missions makers already have the ability to use our buildings once they d/ld the map , they can be found under Nomadobjects in the editor, i see no point in releasing them again rock.gif

As for wrp editors well they can always de-pbo the island and take them and i am sure people would have done this already , since we allowed one such person to do so...but we also would want to keep some originality for our MOD too .... smile_o.gif ...hope you understand.

if ur looking for missions, check out Avon's FAQ - Mission of the Moment section.

theres a few nice missions for it that use BAS addons, but i think it uses an earlier version of the Island, im not too sure.

Dude they work fine with v3 as well smile_o.gif