Sign in to follow this  
Matthijs

Enhanced bis model

If anyone wants to unpack that secret green beret, I have a green beret patch to go on his shoulder. Plz do. Then maybe u could upload a green beret squad to the web for me. Yeah. Check this out for further insight:

The life of a Green Beret

The best part about that model is that you could have the helmet on and off feature. So when is 2.0 coming out? The one where the soldiers actually have a little bit of a backpack on at least and the green berets are included as special forces which is what they go under in real life only in this. I just wish that green beret model were distributed on a larger scale to make it easier to find. I got alot of unconventional war plans for these guys and not hardly anyone will have them. For instance I got this mission planned where....nope...

Realy good idear Matthijs eventho I havent tryed them yet I don't think I am gona replase them whit the BIS soldiers but I am differntly gona youse som parts of the model. Is it just me or are those M16 a bit green( havent tryed it yet only have looked at the pictures).

And a question why dident eny one was interested when I posted the Idear about free eqwipment mad_o.gif na just kidding biggrin_o.gif.

STGN

One big thing that is missing is a PASGT kevlar vest. This was the Level-IIIA body armor worn (and still worn by some units) by most of the military in combat zones during the 80's and which replaced the older ballistic nylon flack vest used during the Vietnam war. This has since been replaced by "Interceptor" body armor that is lighter in weight and can carry a rifle-proof ceramic plate on the front and back of the vest. Anyhoo... this is one HUGE thing missing from the BIS soldiers. These vests were almost always worn by combat units in combat zones during the mid to late 80's.

Here is a pic of a soldier who died in 1982 in Beiruit (the earliest pic I could find of a soldier wearing a PASGT vest). He's still wearing the old steel pot helmet but he has on a PASGT flack vest. Anyhoo... I personally won't get too excited until a soldier with full combat gear from the mid 80's is released. That's one reason why I was so excited about the BAS soldiers. They actually have all the modern gear and uniforms on them just as real U.S. Army soldiers use (including interceptor body armor).

So hopefully this addon will at least see a version with a PASGT flack vest.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I also felt that backpacks were missing. Not huge ones, but military ones that carry most of the food and grenades n stuff. I know that some soldiers carry that stuff from watching dramatization videos off of the history channel. If you do a KMM 2.0, please include that beret model all finished. Thanks. Oh and the thing where when the helmet is off you see a cap is good stuff. Thanks again.

I also felt that backpacks were missing.  Not huge ones, but military ones that carry most of the food and grenades n stuff.  I know that some soldiers carry that stuff from watching dramatization videos off of the history channel.  If you do a KMM 2.0, please include that beret model all finished.  Thanks.  Oh and the thing where when the helmet is off you see a cap is good stuff.  Thanks again.

The things on their backs are called rucksacks... there is also the larger Ranger ruck. Your standard ruck can carry a fair amount of equipment but for assault missions normally they are not carried except perhaps to an assault staging area.

I wouldn't mind seeing a rucksack on soldiers but I wouldn't freak out if these soldiers don't have them as they aren't usually carried during combat. Also berets during the 80's were only worn by select branches of the U.S. Army such as the Airborne, Ranger, and Special Forces branches. The black beret currently worn by all U.S. Army forces is something implemented in just the past couple of years.

But it would be cool if someone figured out how to allow a player to change between a helmet and a field cap.

That would be a very cool feature.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I also felt that backpacks were missing.  Not huge ones, but military ones that carry most of the food and grenades n stuff.  I know that some soldiers carry that stuff from watching dramatization videos off of the history channel.  If you do a KMM 2.0, please include that beret model all finished.  Thanks.  Oh and the thing where when the helmet is off you see a cap is good stuff.  Thanks again.

The things on their backs are called rucksacks... there is also the larger Ranger ruck.  Your standard ruck can carry a fair amount of equipment but for assault missions normally they are not carried except perhaps to an assault staging area.

I wouldn't mind seeing a rucksack on soldiers but I wouldn't freak out if these soldiers don't have them as they aren't usually carried during combat.   Also berets during the 80's were only worn by select branches of the U.S. Army such as the Airborne, Ranger, and Special Forces branches.  The black beret currently worn by all U.S. Army forces is something implemented in just the past couple of years.  

But it would be cool if someone figured out how to allow a player to change between a helmet and a field cap.  

That would be a very cool feature.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

the black beret used to be worn by cav units in the 80s also

the idea about changing headgear is good, a lot of light units only wear their kevlar helmets when actualy attacking their obj their patrol cap wouldbe worn the rest of the time

smile_o.gif

I'm sure he could have a special group called "special forces" that switched between a helmet and a beret. Of course they'd look just like the other unit but had berets on underneath. Don't forget the vest next time around though. Heck, maybe they'll replace the black ops those special forces. I'm sure you could do a put on mask take off mask but if you do get the mask as close to the face as you can and keep the attire to the standard soldier, just with a mask on. That'd look dope and be pretty real based on what I've seen of the Navy Seals n stuff on History Channel. I can't make sense of the black suit anyhow. By mask I mean balaclava. So in conclusion, the soldiers should have the vests included next go round, and maybe you could do a "special forces" version of the soldier that has the option to wear a balaclava on or off. His squad would be a mix of HK, XM with and without scope, gear consisting of grenades and satchels, maybe a guy with the uzi silenced from res. I'd use the different black ops to date and replace them all with the special forces dude but just change the kit for every different type of black op there was. That'd be perfect.

I actually kinda like the BIS Black Ops soldiers. However in real life I've only seen SEALs and Delta units dressed up like that (with the black balaclava).  Generally Special Forces (Green Berets) wear the same field uniforms as regular soldiers aside from their green beret and SF tab on their shoulder.  The only difference is that they generally had specialized weaponry and equipment.  However I'm not sure what weapons SF were using in the mid-80's. I am assuming that they probably were using CAR-15's/XM-177/M-4, M60's,  M16A2's, M24's, AK-47's, and HK MP-5's.  No idea what pistol they would have used aside from the old Colt .45 automatic.  

Personally I'd like to see a good Special Forces HALO jumper with a removable oxygen mask.      I have a HALO (High Altitude, Low Opening) SF mission on my website (in my sig) that could seriously use a good HALO SF soldier.  Right now I'm just using a pilot to simulate a halo jumper...

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

- Weapons are not included in the add-on. All weapons are the standard BIS models. So if you don't like them, don't come blaming me.

tounge_o.gif

- The "hidden" beret P3D model that comes with the PBO fits exactly underneath the helmet, replacing the hat. Hope it makes add-on makers happy?

smile_o.gif

- A nationality-specific unit is under Construction by Dezzerex: Belgian para commando's.

- I have the model of a kevlar vest. Does anyone care to skin it with the US Woodland pattern?

For anyone that thinks "I can't do this", just give it a try. Download Oxygen, load up the model, do some cutting and pasting, repackage it and try your modified model in-game. This add-on provides an easy (if not the easiest) way to get into O2 modelling.

Thanks for the update and thanks for listening Mathijs. I've been wanting that beret model to use for a green beret. It's going to look really good. The vest, the five pouches in front, the beret, altogether will look very nice.

Great work Matthijs, they look great.

RED

A brilliant initiative! Will replace the original models asap...

Tweaked one of your p3d´s and removed the hat underneath revealing the soldiers beautiful haircut. Good for cutscenes etc... biggrin_o.gif

Hello all, I am new to addon making and such, I am really just experimenting, and my first experiment was to play with these soldiers. I did not like the standard BIS weapons so I changed them out with Inquisitors Hi-Res Models, and added KMM's AT-4 for the LAW Soldier, also, I got rid of the Mortar Soldier and replaced him with a soldier that carries Inqusitors XM1014 Shotgun. I am also going to change the Infantry Squad to reflect a Marine Rifle Squad, except it will have to be 12men rather then 13. Any assistance, any suggestions is greatly appreciated, you can email me at bravo149@cox.net if you would like, thank you.

George

PS. It is currently for personal use, I will be requesting permission from Inquisitor to use his High-Res addon. I figured using the KMM AT-4 would cause no problems. I am going to try and play around and change the BIS models with these soldier models, or the BAS soldier model(requested permission from them)

[...] any suggestions is greatly appreciated, [...]

Please get rid of jpeg textures. It slows down many computers too much. Try to make good pac/paa textures.

I know many people will not agree with me on this.

I don't like addons that exclude people.

You know, I do not notice much of a slow down, I created a mission and ran it, it included two FULL companies of men using Inquisitors weapons(+/- 300 men), no lag what so ever, this was on a GeForce2MX Graphics card, Athlon XP 1700+, and only 512MB of RAM. But I will see what I can do, like I said I am new to this, and I spent yesterday looking over CPP files and other stuff, I hope to get the full grasp of it, and how to change everything by this weekend.

George

You know, I don't believe you.

Well maybe your graphic card is always at it's limit and that's the reason why you don't notice a difference ;)

Because it's pretty clear that with 300 men you have a slowdown. no matter if you use jpec or pac. 300 men alone are very much.

I still have the mission Donnervogel, I was playing it the other day, it was on the Checnya map. Basically the US Army Company was heloed in on 12 UH-60's to take down the airbase. The field was protected by several platoons of ruskies, and I had several mechanized squads and foot infantry squads come in after you secured the base to try and re-take it.

It is ok if you do not believe me, I have no reason to lie, but oh well that's life right.

George

lol then I really wonder why I seem to have the crapiest graphic card on the planet. It's a geforce 3.

I can show you screens that show clearly that I have less FPS with 4 groups of standart BIS soldiers than with one group. - Not really a surprise, is it?

I just say I don't believe that you don't have a slowdown when you have hundrets of soldiers moving in sight.

But no offence. I just think it is possible tio make beautiful textures without jpeg and therefore without unjustified perfomance loss.

I know I had a 2000 View Distance, and I don't remember what my other settings were, but it was still up there. I had no lag, no choppyness, ok yeah FPS may have been lower then with lower # of soldiers, but it was not choppy what so ever. Thank fully about two weeks ago I upgraded to a GeForce FX biggrin_o.gif . I will also try with my limited skills(though I hope to improve them vastly, once I get a better understanding of things) to do what I discussed with you thru PM. No offence taken, everyone is entitled to their opinion right ;). Well have a good day.

George

something alot of you guys havent seemed to notice mathijs isnt going to do anymore work on these if you want something done YOU do it its an open model you do your work give the guy three heads for all I care just stop asking people to do it for you