Sign in to follow this  
Time

We surrender!

This is in connection with AI morale. In Close Combat the less experienced and demoralised troop are more likely to surrender if they estimate it doesn't make sense to fight on.

In OFP2 should be AI that surrenders and you could surrender too (if you appreciate your virtual life smile_o.gif ).

The captured soldiers could be interogated then and we could pull out some prescious information about the enemy units around you.

If the player got captured then before the next mission would begin the player would be asked to choose to escape or wait for his troops to free him (if the idea from topic "war thetre would be used). If he would choose to wait then the war thatre would run on and if the troops would really take over the prison camps and free the player, he could fight on then. If the player's army would be defeated on the "strategic campaign" the game would end in the prisoners camp. If he tried to escape the mission would start right away.

As far as I remember Marek Spanel said once that if realism in the games isn't fun, then nothing is. He also said that they will be trying to make as far as realistic interaction with the enviroment and realistic behaviour models of AI. This includes also surrendering, doesn't it?

One thing I don't like is scripted events. Let the AI do the whole thing because it's much more realistic.

At present in OFP the AI is more likely to fight to the end or flee, so the possibility for an AI unit to surrender when he 'knows' he is in a no win situation would add some realism.

Maybe have it so that a unit(s) wishing to surrender would through down his weapon,hold his hands in the air and show his unwillingness to continue in the fight.

It would bring up all sorts of new 'ethical' and 'practical' problems a soldier encounters. Do you accept the surrender, or shoot because it may be a trick? If you come across a wounded enemy do you ignore him and let him bleed? or do you do your best for him and give or seek medical aid? If you were to shoot an enemy wishing to surrender on purpose or by mistake, you would be penalised some how, maybe you achieved your mission objectives, but killing an innocent or surrendering enemy would make you a failure on that part.

You misunderstand scripting, I wasn't talking about scripted events like in HL, I was talking about using scripting to expand the ai. You can write missions where the enemy will surrender if badly injured, or outnumbered, or they are the last one alive.

You misunderstand scripting, I wasn't talking about scripted events like in HL, I was talking about using scripting to expand the ai.  You can write missions where the enemy will surrender if badly injured, or outnumbered, or they are the last one alive.

Yes, of course, obviously I forgot to say that this AI I suggested would be very practical in the Total Air War like (non-linear) campaign, whereas in linear mission system would be probably the scripting better. But still why write scripts for every mission if it could be implemented in the AI?

I am an advocate of TAW-like non-linear campaign (check out the topic "War theatre" for more details, or go play TAW) because it gives longer lifetime (Civilisation is a great example of non-linear game, and I never get tired of it). Linear missions are almost always the same and predictable (even OFP isn't an exception).

At present in OFP the AI is more likely to fight to the end or flee, so the possibility for an AI unit to surrender when he 'knows' he is in a no win situation would add some realism.

Maybe have it so that a unit(s) wishing to surrender would through down his weapon,hold his hands in the air and show his unwillingness to continue in the fight.

It would bring up all sorts of new 'ethical' and 'practical' problems a  soldier encounters. Do you accept the surrender, or shoot because it may be a trick? If you come across a wounded enemy do you ignore him and let him bleed? or do you do your best for him and give or seek medical aid? If you were to shoot an enemy wishing to surrender on purpose or by mistake, you would be penalised some how, maybe you achieved your mission objectives, but killing an innocent or surrendering enemy would make you a failure on that part.

Oh yes the "flee,deserted or routed" options should be included, like in Close Combat.

And of course, once you take over the surrendered you have to take care of him, take him to the gathering point for the prisoners, a lot of things to do isn't it? It's easier to execute him, isn't it? But if he's scared an begs you not to kill him, would you do it? This is war, and things like this happen all the time. Games we're playing are misleading and give a false feeling of war. BI has an oportunity to show the people what war really is.

In my opinion this is another good suggestion. (not that it's a new one biggrin_o.gif ) It would add just that little bit more fun and realism. Give you something to talk and laugh about when you talk about your mission in the debriefing.

However it's not so easy, and must be configurable at mission design. (on/off at least)

Imagine this:

your squad eliminates an enemy squad, the oficer from enemy squad tries to escape into the woods, if you try to capture him by yourself he will fight back, if you and your men get close enough to him he will throw his gun to the floor, raise is arms and surrender smile_o.gif , sounds good so far eh? now what would appen to this prisioner when you and your squad move towards the next objective rock.gif , thats why i think this kinda action would work better with mission script.

In my opinion this is another good suggestion. (not that it's a new one biggrin_o.gif )  It would add just that little bit more fun and realism.  Give you something to talk and laugh about when you talk about your mission in the debriefing.  

However it's not so easy, and must be configurable at mission design. (on/off at least)

smile_o.gif I belive there is no new or good suggestions. There are only ideas which happen in real life all the time, but not in games yet and we would like to see them. And yes, it is much bigger question how to apply these "ideas" into the game.

Yeah I meant this was already suggested on these forums. smile_o.gif

Yeah I meant this was already suggested on these forums. smile_o.gif

But the question is how much of this suggestions is actually being seriously taken by the BI. I think there are too many things that BI could include in time (but there's still hope) smile_o.gif

AI is already retreating if it is very unskilled and it's squad has lost soldiers enough. But I would also like if they will surrender when they can't escape. smile_o.gif