Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Casablanca rocked by explosions

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3035803.stm

First Riyad, now Casablanca. Seems like Al-Qaida is on the offensive again. Maybe we should invade Lybia next, I bet the CIA watched Gaddhafi have lunch with Bin Ladin at some point crazy.gif

Any ideas on how to stop the terror WITHOUT invading another 3rd world country and thus creating more terrorists??

WTF!!!,When the heck was this?!!??!?!!? mad.gif

It happened literally minutes ago.

I have a feeling Nigeria may be next.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ 17 May 2003,05:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It happened literally minutes ago.

I have a feeling Nigeria may be next.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes! Quick, someone make up a sig saying "I support war on spammers and e-mail scam artists" biggrin.gif

As I mentioned in the Saudi Arabia attack thread regarding this attack in Casblanca, car-bombings really seem to be the flavour of the month for Al Queda. There's been an attack in Chechnya, Saudi Arabia and now Morocco. And yes, there is the looming threat of more attacks. Intelligence seems to point towards something going down in Kenya and in South-East Asia.

Bush looks a little silly after his speech in which he announced how damaged Al-Queda were.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ 17 May 2003,05:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif4--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ 17 May 2003,05wow.gif4)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It happened literally minutes ago.

Yes! Quick, someone make up a sig saying "I support war on spammers and e-mail scam artists" biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Are you happy now Tovarish? tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LaPoi @ 17 May 2003,05:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are you happy now Tovarish? tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

uh....ehmm... I mean quick! You better give my Nigerian associate the bank information before "Operation Nigerian Freedom" commences!! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ 16 May 2003,22:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif4--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ 17 May 2003,05wow.gif4)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It happened literally minutes ago.

Yes! Quick, someone make up a sig saying "I support war on spammers and e-mail scam artists" biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL... I mentioned it just for you. biggrin.gif

wow.gif1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ 17 May 2003,06wow.gif1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">LOL... I mentioned it just for you.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I thought so biggrin.gif. I noticed we were both refreshing pretty often wfter I posted that...axious to see what the reaction would be wink.gif

I was inspired after reading about *snip*What this guy did I almost died laughing biggrin.gif

*edit* better not link it on account of one picture, but look up somethingawful vs. Nigeria smile.gif

Wow, thats a record time for going from serious talk about innocent civilians dying to joking. Amazing.

Anyway, this is wierd. They didn't attack any American targets I heard. Maybe they've changed targets?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The targets in Morocco's commerical capital are reported to include the Belgian consulate, the Safir Hotel, a Jewish community centre, a Jewish cemetery and a Spanish restaurant, Casa de Espana<span id='postcolor'>

Whilst these were not American targets, they still make sense I guess.

On a slightly more serious note... it may be that AQ is just hitting targets of opportunity now - especially civillians in hitherto unhit countries. Not a whole lot of planning is required to do so - the hardest part would probably be sneaking in/making the explosives. Most every other country in the MidEast, if not the world, has taken very tough security measures. I wonder if Morrocco didn't, and that is why they were hit.

However, the fact that they hit a Belgian consulate is pretty interesting. Why the Belgians? Everything else seems to be a pretty... um... standard target for terrorists - Morrocco and Spain nearly fought a war last summer, Jews are always a favorite target of terrorists and the hotel was probably popular with westerners. But why the Belgian consulate? Simply because they were a western target? Maybe because they were the least secure western target available?

It'll be interesting to see what comes of all of this. My sympathies are with the families of the dead and wounded.

Edit: Oh, and Ex-Ronin, Faithless is one of my favorite groups. Nice taste in music you have. smile.gif

Well this was quicker than i expected, but it's been kin of obvious this was going to happen.

If we dramatise things a bit and make it like the movies you shoud be wanting them to attack Americans.

America instigated the war on Iraq and Afghanistan so why should other country's citizens die? George Bush should be saying that however much American blood is spilled it will not weaken the American nation's resolve, not "look how weak AQ is", oh look they bombed some innocents in another country, thank god it wasn't us!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ 17 May 2003,02:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Any ideas on how to stop the terror WITHOUT invading another 3rd world country and thus creating more terrorists??<span id='postcolor'>

Do what France did in the 90s.

Hunt down the leaders.  Secretly pay them and their families large sums of money to find a new line of work.  Kill those who refuse your offer, and their families.

It's hard to argue with success.

That was very successful, and quite secret, it didn't really involve huge military occupations of sovereign states.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ 17 May 2003,13:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The targets in Morocco's commerical capital are reported to include the Belgian consulate, the Safir Hotel, a Jewish community centre, a Jewish cemetery and a Spanish restaurant, Casa de Espana<span id='postcolor'>

Whilst these were not American targets, they still make sense I guess.<span id='postcolor'>

They bombed a Jewish cemetary!?

They're already dead! Is that a joke?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ 17 May 2003,08:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">However, the fact that they hit a Belgian consulate is pretty interesting. Why the Belgians? Everything else seems to be a pretty... um... standard target for terrorists - Morrocco and Spain nearly fought a war last summer, Jews are always a favorite target of terrorists and the hotel was probably popular with westerners. But why the Belgian consulate? Simply because they were a western target? Maybe because they were the least secure western target available?<span id='postcolor'>

Al-Queda is out of good US targets, so now it's getting around to any western country they decide will make a tasty target.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ 17 May 2003,18:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ 17 May 2003,13:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The targets in Morocco's commerical capital are reported to include the Belgian consulate, the Safir Hotel, a Jewish community centre, a Jewish cemetery and a Spanish restaurant, Casa de Espana<span id='postcolor'>

Whilst these were not American targets, they still make sense I guess.<span id='postcolor'>

They bombed a Jewish cemetary!?

They're already dead!  Is that a joke?<span id='postcolor'>

Anyone that desecrates any cemetery or graves in any kind of way is an uncivilised barbarian.

Let the dead rest in peace ffs.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IsthatyouJohnWayne @ 17 May 2003,17:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ah- Trust the French to come up with the civilised option!  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I think that is more civilised than invading and occupying other countries.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ 16 May 2003,20:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3035803.stm

First Riyad, now Casablanca. Seems like Al-Qaida is on the offensive again. Maybe we should invade Lybia next, I bet the CIA watched Gaddhafi have lunch with Bin Ladin at some point crazy.gif

Any ideas on how to stop the terror WITHOUT invading another 3rd world country and thus creating more terrorists??<span id='postcolor'>

I've got it.

Lock down international travel and immigration..

heh

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ 18 May 2003,04:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyone that desecrates any cemetery or graves in any kind of way is an uncivilised barbarian.

Let the dead rest in peace ffs.<span id='postcolor'>

My point exactly. This attack wouldn't accomplish a thing if it destroyed every body in that cemetery. These attacks are only a slap in the face and an attempt to say "we're not dead yet!" while killing as many civilians as they can.

mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ 18 May 2003,00:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Let the dead rest in peace<span id='postcolor'>

Let the living live. sad.gif

How come everyone is so certain it is Al-Qauida? I mean there are far more "experienced" terrorist cells then Al-Qauida. I express my condolances to the ones who lost family members.

What about the torture ,assasinations and summary executions employed by the French security services during its conflict with Algerian extremists? Was it perhaps special civilised (or civilising) torture?

Post colonial French support for the brutal anti-islamist Algerian regime (believed to include military supplies)?

Oh that would be Frances -civilised- support. Totally different from the -simplisitic- support America is massively criticised for giving to anti-communist and anti-islamist authoritarians.

The supplies that France gets from a dependant Algerian government of natural gas (tenth largest reserves of natural gas in the world) and oil are TOTALLY different from the oil that America gets from dictatorships kept sweet with $$$ and weapons (and in relation to is so criticised for).

Yes i can see how mistaken i am here.

Fighting terror with terror (and large wads of cash)?

mmm perhaps its the only way. I still think torture and summary executions should be avoided ...so sue me.

As for payoffs for terrorists and hostage takers, there are plenty of examples of that kind of tactic backfiring in a big way. Having said that , before Sept.11 many western governments did engage in discussion with various terrorist groups (and may still) in an attempt to keep them 'good' and sometimes tried to appease them in some of their more minor demands or pay off ransoms.

One might even argue that sept. 11 itself was partly a result of America being seen to be 'weak' on terrorists in the miltant islamic world (at least it may have encouraged groups to commit to Al-quaidas goals and methods), after all America has indeed tried paying off terrorists and hostage takers in the past.

Perhaps invading whole countries and trying to 'reform' them and their policies from within is the civilised method. I dont think so but i dont think the French are a shining example either.

Perhaps being 'civilised' is a luxury that can no longer be afforded but i certainly hope not (and i dont think so).