Sign in to follow this  
mh53JpavelowIV

Ofp level size vs. halo level size

With the impending release of Halo for the PC , I'm curious if any OFP players out there have Halo on the Xbox and if so how do the levels compare in size to those in Flashpoint. From the original E3 clip from 2000 the level or levels in Halo look huge more than a few miles in diameter...

thanx..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mh53JpavelowIV @ 14 May 2003,16:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">With the impending release of Halo for the PC , I'm curious if any OFP players out there have Halo on the Xbox and if so how do the levels compare in size to those in Flashpoint. From the original E3 clip from 2000 the level or  levels in Halo look huge more than a few miles in diameter...

thanx..<span id='postcolor'>

In 2000?  Heh people hadnt seen flashpoint then and misused the word "huge" smile.gif What they meant was tiny biggrin.gif

Oh and how come you getting Halo? Get planetside or Breed, they look much more interesting and PC dedicated(none of that console bs)

Halo's maps are tiny. As far as I know OFP has the biggest maps of any FPS/TFPS with the exception of games that mirror the terrain to make it infinitely large.  

And what with Wrp double Wrp quad!

Of course this massive scale results in long loading times and the scenery that (arguably) looks like it came from a flight sim.

PS console converts really suck!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LowLevelFunctionary @ 14 May 2003,17:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh and how come you getting Halo?  Get planetside or Breed, they look much more interesting and PC dedicated(none of that console bs)<span id='postcolor'>

Let's wreck the discussion before it gets off the ground, why don't we?

Face it, the PC could never produce anything like HALO.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bulbous @ 14 May 2003,16:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif0--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LowLevelFunctionary @ 14 May 2003,17wow.gif0)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh and how come you getting Halo?  Get planetside or Breed, they look much more interesting and PC dedicated(none of that console bs)<span id='postcolor'>

Face it, the PC could never produce anything like HALO.<span id='postcolor'>

You realize that the XBox is essentially a PC, right? From the processor through the video card to the bus.

The only reason why Halo isn't available on the PC today is because Microsoft essentially killed off the PC version when they bought Bungie. The Mac version was killed out-right, and the PC version shelved so that they wouldn't jeopardize Halo-driven XBox sales. They needed a so-called Killer App, and in order to get it, they bought the company that made it.

rofl comparing halo maps with ofp. K let me c, in blood gultch a pretty "big" level it takes me 50-60 secs to get to other side of the map

ofp? ya that is right lol

All i remember of Halo was when the game was in coding stage

There was awesome screenshots previews and the concept was some kind of permanent "ring world" with lot of huge landscape.

I was very interested by what i heard in those time , but one day they announced that it will be a console exclusive and that they changed the concept totally, and i stoped following this game

From what i read from your answers , they seem to have really drop some interesting features, that is sad when i remember the project Halo was.

They dropped the ever persistant ring world before it was changed to an X-box project mate. However yeah they do seem to have dropped a lot of features.

It was one of the games i was looking forward to before ms bought it for the x-box. What they released for the x-box in the end was nothing but a dumb shooter, all of the cool features that were promised before it was castrated to run on the x-box were gone sad.gif

confused.gif??!

Why do you speak so highly of consoles??

consoles are just cheep, unflexabul, PCs that have had everything usefull taken out of them.

They are fine if you are a bit short of cash or are 14 and under but they dont get neer PCs!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ 15 May 2003,01:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bulbous @ 14 May 2003,16:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LowLevelFunctionary @ 14 May 2003,17<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh and how come you getting Halo?  Get planetside or Breed, they look much more interesting and PC dedicated(none of that console bs)<span id='postcolor'>

Face it, the PC could never produce anything like HALO.<span id='postcolor'>

You realize that the XBox is essentially a PC, right? From the processor through the video card to the bus.<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry, maybe you misuderstood. I meant the type of game. Console shooters tend to be very arcadeish and usually dont translate well to PC. However it is possible and HALO on PC may prove me wrong. Although it will never compare to OFP and I think we can all agree on that smile.gif

IMHO the mistake that many of us make (and I've been guilty of this on occassion) is comparing other FPS shooters to OFP. I think Half Life 2 will rock but its silly to compare it to OFP. They are two totally different shooters attempting to accomplish different goals. Same goes for Halo...

I don't believe there is a FPS out there that has reality based warefare that comes close to what OFP tries to do.. ie; 100KM levels, large amount of drivable vehicles, etc. OFP IMHO is in a class of its on, currently the only competition for OFP is OFP itself..lol

:-)

PS: I eagerly await Halo , HL 2 and next year OFP 2  ;-) There can't be enough quality FPS.....

Incidentally, the concept of a huge artificial world with multiple continents and rotationally induced gravity engineered by an advanced alien race was copied from Larry Niven's book "Ringworld", which is an excellent read.

COnsider a few things here:

Halo's maps are linear for the most part, and I'd consider them long, not large. You can essentially imagine them as a piece of string, you follow the beginning to the end, almost no room to diverge your course.

Operation Flashpoint gives you a square box most of the time, and lets you loose in it to do whatever you want. In most cases, we use our troops for multi pronged attacks on towns and such. Basicly, Opflash maps are focaled around a point in the map, as real life mostly tends to be.

As for Halo not being able to be made on the PC, you do realize the ONLY reason it wasn't out on PC first was because Microsoft bought Bungie, and needed at least one good game for the consol?