Sign in to follow this  
Silent N Deadly

Best rally sport game...

So far I tried only keyboard setup but the car seems to do what a real one does at first try

With a keyboard? rock.gif Then I wouldn't call it realistic or a sim. smile_o.gif

Too bad the demo doesn't work on my computer. It just hangs on the splash screen and it seems to be quite common problem (I had a look at the CMR3 forums). I really would've liked to try it out. sad_o.gif

Yeah well I didn't have time to connect my wheel. I will do that today, but I can tell from the keyboard input it's doing the right stuff. Yeah I got lucky, seems to have worked without a hitch.

EDIT: This sucks wallies, the controller setup is farked up, pedals are reversed or their axis are reversed no matter what. So I guess no wheel for me. Or maybe I'll have to do a Zanardi and accelerate/break with on wheel controls. wink_o.gif

We'll see, I posted on CM forums, maybe some one knows a little trick.

Startup crash bug appears to be fixed, see the CM forums. rock.gif

The fix worked. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]It will probably be the most realistic handling Rally game...

As soon as they take away the arcade handling of the car and replace it with realistic driving model. tounge_o.gif It's more like a hovercraft than a car just like it has been in the previous two versions.

It's pure arcade fun with very nice visuals and damage modeling. At least the roads are not as wide as autobahn anymore but they are still very short compared to the real thing.

A game I recommend to be played with a couple of friends and lots of beer. I think I'm going to get it when it comes out. I hope some day there would be an ultra realistic rally sim.

I hope some day there would be an ultra realistic rally sim.

Yeah... me too. But somehow I doubt it.

Sony bought the offcial WRC license which means nobody else can use the actual cars, drivers and tracks, closing the door to 1oo% realistic games for other companies.

And of course a 100% realistic rally for the PlayShite2 will never happen. Never. Ever.

My only hope is the GP Legends route: A realistic rally game set in the 60s, 70s or maybe the 80s.

The fix worked. smile_o.gif
Quote[/b] ]It will probably be the most realistic handling Rally game...

As soon as they take away the arcade handling of the car and replace it with realistic driving model. tounge_o.gif It's more like a hovercraft than a car just like it has been in the previous two versions.

It's pure arcade fun with very nice visuals and damage modeling. At least the roads are not as wide as autobahn anymore but they are still very short compared to the real thing.

A game I recommend to be played with a couple of friends and lots of beer. I think I'm going to get it when it comes out. I hope some day there would be an ultra realistic rally sim.

It will still be the most realsitic. I don't know actually I haven't been able to use my controller with it, so maybe it only seems ok with a keyboard. It's not a simulator I agree with you for sure, you couldn't drive at all with a keyboard if it was a simulator. smile_o.gif

EDIT: A lot better than the other stuff that was suggested here though. Hovercraft, no just all wheel drive and horsepower, not sticker and exhaust tip power. wink_o.gif

I get a feeling you like any rally game which makes it hard to put and keep the car in a power drift. Well, what I'm trying to tell you is it's easy to do with enough power and a balanced car, it's not like you have to fight the car to put it into a power drift. In real life that is. Maybe you are looking for cars with around 170Hp, which are much more difficult to do anything with.

There is no "Rally Simulator" that I know of, but this may still be the most realsitic, it seems like it so far. No question about it for me.

I don't have trouble putting a car in power drift and keeping it there through the corner in Rally Championship 2000 (both fwd and 4wd). rock.gif I over exaggerated a bit in the hovercraft part but what I mean is that in CMR series the cars want to slide sideways even on tarmac when I drive 60 km/h.

If you look carefully at real rally driving you would notice that the cars very seldom go in to a huge power drift mainly because that kind of driving style would cost a lot of seconds on the road. Huge slides are only seen when the cars drive on ice or some other very slippery road where the lateral grip is very small or through a very sharp corner.

Normal fwd cars are surprisingly easy to put in a power drift too (or to put semi-accidentally on a dirt road; been there, done that tounge_o.gif) if you know how to use the gas pedal properly (especially if you use left foot braking at the same time to move the balance of the car towards the front).

If you look carefully at real rally driving you would notice that the cars very seldom go in to a huge power drift mainly because that kind of driving style would cost a lot of seconds on the road. Huge slides are only seen when the cars drive on ice or some other very slippery road where the lateral grip is very small or through a very sharp corner.

That's only the new breed of rally drivers.

Colin still sticks to the old power-slide school. That's the way he drives and that's how you drive in cmr.

Of course you'll never see a 206 doing the same, it'll follow the racing line most of the time, but that's just a driving style/team strategy. What is true is that the 206 way of doing things is becoming the rule...

smile_o.gif Look R.G., you aren't going to educate me on driving, I have been putting cars throgh their paces for years now, not just FWD and with more than 300Hp in some cases (this means power sliding on all sorts of surfaces). The issue here is the realism of CMR-3, ok, I haven't looked at it as a real simulator, especially since my controller doesn't work with it, all I am doing is comparing the experience to other GAMES I have seen. Hopefully they will figure out the terrible controller handling people have been reporting. wink_o.gif

This certainly is no Viper Racing of Rallies. I'm not saying anything like that.

The wheel controller is terrible in CMR3 demo but they are going to fix it and the focre feedback too. I think it's going to be much better then.

The damage modeling in CMR3 is very good (although you still can hit a tree and continue the race) and that's a very big plus. I miss the very long special stages that you see in real rally racing and that's going to be a big minus for me.

PS. bn880: I think Viper racing is great too:) and you really should check out netKar (latest version is 0.9.6; very big imporvements compared to 0.9.5)if you like realistic driving sims (the anti roll bars on the MGZ have a bug though but it's going to be fixed in the 1.0 version).

Edit: removed some of the stuff I wrote under the influence of alcohol tounge_o.gif and corrected some typos. smile_o.gif

That's only the new breed of rally drivers.

Colin still sticks to the old power-slide school. That's the way he drives and that's how you drive in cmr.

Of course you'll never see a 206 doing the same, it'll follow the racing line most of the time, but that's just a driving style/team strategy. What is true is that the 206 way of doing things is becoming the rule...

That probably explains it. rock.gif But I would like to be able to make a choice if I want to drive with a different style. Huge slides look much cooler but that's not how I want to drive through every corner. tounge_o.gif

The wheel controller is terrible in CMR3 demo but they are going to fix it and the focre feedback too. I think it's going to be much better then.

The damage modeling in CMR3 is very good (although you still can hit a tree and continue the race) and that's a very big plus. I miss the very long special stages that you see in real rally racing and that's going to be a big minus for me.

PS. bn880: I think Viper racing is great too:) and you really should check out netKar (latest version is 0.9.6; very big imporvements compared to 0.9.5)if you like realistic driving sims (the anti roll bars on the MGZ have a bug though but it's going to be fixed in the 1.0 version).

tounge_o.gif

I think so, yeah I have been looking at netKar since CMR-3 doesn't like me. Sorry for being a little bit of a prick up there. wink_o.gif

Anyway, I have something you are going to love if you have F1 2002 or can get it, I'm not messing around this is top notch stuff (not rally) and it's a simulation more than game:

http://www.simbin.com/forums....54&st=0

Not sure if you know about it yet.

Just download the GT® 2002 addon for F1 2002 and try it. It is in some ways better than Viper Racing, damage model is the only thing that sucks (that's from F1), and the dash is a little weird (tachometer?).

The sounds are truly great and you actually feel like you are test driving the different cars. With FF, all realism on, lots of speakers, it is in some ways better than real life driving; no insurance to pay, no fuel, etc. etc. and no injuries. biggrin_o.gif They admit to softening the cockpit sounds a litte, which I'm going to replace with external sounds because they don't give you a headache like they should. smile_o.gif

I feel they screwed up the Viper a little though, it got short changed in the sound department. I enjoy the NGT cars with external sounds a lot as they sound exactly like my car used to sound before the police got a little interested. wink_o.gif (like I said internal sounds are too fluffy, need more noise)

Anyway, I can't believe I only just now found this mod for F1 2002, good that CMR-3 didn't like to let me drive so I spent time looking for racing simulators.

That probably explains it. rock.gif But I would like to be able to make a choice if I want to drive with a different style. Huge slides look much cooler but that's not how I want to drive through every corner. tounge_o.gif

I was thinking about this yesterday, this is what I can say about it now:

Drivers match the style according to the following (sub conciously usually):

[*]lateral grip available on the surface

[*]average speed of corner

[*]power available

basically if a driver can get enough lateral grip on the surface where he can still use most of engine power he won't do a huge power slide. If the driver knows he would have to ease up completely throughout the corner because of lateral grip problems, and yet he has loads of power available to have the wheels pull him through the corner on that surface, he will take the car into a slide.

If you watch lower powered rally cars you can see they take the no-slide approach more often as they would lose much time and risk going off-road with their HP. On the other hand most top WRC cars slide around on most corners other than fast tarmac as they can gain time through power rather than lateral grip. In case of the Peugeot, they must have very good lateral grip to opt for more non-slide corners.

And as for rally games, a test to run on CMR-3 would be to lower the accelerator output to 60% or 50% of game sensitivity, so you never have more than ~170Hp available. Then you should be able to have better times taking normal style of turns. If the car always "hovers" even on fast turns it means the game sucks, because ~170Hp just won't let you do that very well. rock.gif

Ah so much writing...

And here is the must have 1.2 patch for GT Racing 2002 http://downloads.gameplanet.co.nz/dl.dyn/Files/3165.html

Again that's a patch for this:

http://www.simbin.com/forums....54&st=0

Yep, they fixed the Viper performance got new internal sounds for the Ferrari 360, and changed all cockpits! Exactly... smile_o.gif

As we speak people are trying to pressure the development team to get a rally mod going, what's the problem?; making a long realistic track. tounge_o.gif SURPRIZE... not

EDIT: Here are the car addon downloads http://www.simbin.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=51&t=9288

Yes I have GTR2002 and it's great. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]As we speak people are trying to pressure the development team to get a rally mod going, what's the problem?; making a long realistic track. tounge_o.gif SURPRIZE... not

Wooohooo!!! biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Is there any really new Formula 1 game with all the present drivers, teams and tires ?

Oh and one more question... In real life a teams like Mclaren Mercedes are way better then, say toyota. Is there any difference in the game between them??

In F1 2002 there appear to be differences is horsepower and handling between the teams, according to the previous seasons performances. So yea, I didn't pay so much attention to it though, I concentrated on driving the Ferrari or Mercedes. (McLaren) You don't have to take my word for any of it, check the forums where you can D.L. GT 2002. If 2003 season teams come out for F1 2002, you will find it there also.

Quote[/b] ]As we speak people are trying to pressure the development team to get a rally mod going, what's the problem?; making a long realistic track. tounge_o.gif SURPRIZE... not

Wooohooo!!! biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Don't celebrate man, they probably won't do this kind of mod because of the track creation issues. Ahh well, trying to race a 600Hp+ GT car without traction control seems challenging enough for me. (need much tougher spring on that gas pedal ;) )

Great news for racing sim fans: http://www.simbin.com/forums/ check out the news item about Roos Optima Racing partnership.

These guys are working with a real race team based from Sweden to develop a comlpetely new retail product. biggrin_o.gif Oh yeah, this will be great!