Sign in to follow this  
Dr Lothrian Remar

Expanding beyound a tactical fps

I have seen a few comments like 'this isn't a life sim', 'why not have a breath in breath, out button?' etc and I am concerned about these remarks.

Whilst OFP is a very good game, after the SP missions and a few attempts at creating havoc in the Mission Editor, the fun can quickly fade. What I think game developers often miss is the fact many of us Gamers do have an imagination, and do play different roles, an example.

In OFP, I often tried to take control of a civilian and Roleplay being at the local Pub when an battle hit the town, or playing a solider from the ground up, having to protect my home using what i can find!

Why is it we have to play the standard game, in a different layout with the mission editor? Probally the most individual mission i came u with was a Safari, but without small details such as Animals, or other people it became very hard and monotonous. How can this game become more? How can you make people play longer and not go an buy a rival's product a month later.

Attention to the small details is very important. The idea of noticable gear chnage, and option Manual was a good idea, out side of the SP mission's it adds depth, so do animals, intiors and things such as a normal civilian population.

Ok this is war, but im talking about after the SP war missions. I always found the very last bonus mission on OFP a joy to play every single time, seeing cars drive around, the tractor on the fields.

Please also note, every year, processors approxaitly double capacity so next year they should be around 6.2 GHZ. It i by far enough to have all these oiption without too much hassle, and hopefully 6.2 is a misquote and they have found revolutionary processing powers!

I appologise for any spelling mistakes, or if it is hard to understand.

Some good points here - a great deal of the OFP community is thinking along the same lines.

I hope BIS will create a realistic atmosphere (involving a civilian element, animals etc.) for the campaign/s and single missions, but I think the key is for BIS to give the community the capability to implement these features later on. As seen with OFP, the community can be a huge factor in the longentivity of the game.

Things like a civilian-oriented or safari campaign should be left to individual Mods within the community - so long as we get the capability to create them.

As for processing power, Moore's Law does indeed state that commercially available processing power doubles approximately every 18 months, but it doesn't mean every (or indeed any) gamer will have the latest hardware. OFP2 should be able to take advantage of better gear, but it shouldn't require it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">'why not have a breath in breath, out button?' etc and I am concerned about these remarks<span id='postcolor'> Dont be, it was a joke...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As for processing power, Moore's Law does indeed state that commercially available processing power doubles approximately every 18 months, but it doesn't mean every (or indeed any) gamer will have the latest hardware. OFP2 should be able to take advantage of better gear, but it shouldn't require it. <span id='postcolor'>

This is the reason CS is still so popular, you dont need a top of the range PC to play it with all its knobs on.

I think he was trying to say:

"By the time 6.2 Ghz processors start showing up, most of us should have at nearly a 2.0 Ghz processor or better.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

This is the reason CS is still so popular, you dont need a top of the range PC to play it with all its knobs on.

<span id='postcolor'>

no, CS is popular because it panders to the lowest common denominator.

CS is popular because people want a replacement for TV action only, not to have to think and have reality thrown in their face even when they want to relax.

OFP2 simply can not aim purely for these people, with Difficulty settings expanded in OFP2, hopefully many of those players will give it a try... but it would have to be very customizable and set by default when you install the game.

Us realism people will open the diffucitly page very early on if we see infinite ammo etc. lol

Also, being able to add custom vehicle animations beyond simple rotations...

I mean, it would help a great deal of the modders, especially the scifi ones, but it would also help those trying to make realistic addons too.