Sign in to follow this  
waffendennis

Aircraft carrier

That's because in the addon there are parts where you can land a helicopter on that are about 10 or 12 ft above the deck. That's why it looks wierd when you walk around. It's kind of an optical illusion that took me a while to figure out what was going on. Try looking under the pilots feet... notice he's standing on thin air.

Hopefully Waffendennis or Spad can fix this problem.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wardog @ 02 May 2003,14:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I actually scaled the Tarawa after my last post and believe it or not, from outside the model is actually TOO BIG.

But get on deck, and figure this out:

2423423.jpg

I'm confused.<span id='postcolor'>

my guess (i have no experience with them though) is that you need to move the roadway lod down to the height of the ship smile.gif

no no no... you're all wrong..... The ship is under the command of Captain Willey A. Wonka. He has tuned the ship to be much like that hallway in his factory (hey, he got a little homesick) where when you walk in, it all looks normal, but by the end, you barely have enough room to crawl.

Now if I may make a request.... a minit version (say the size of a "bathtub boat", to operate that little miniature Huey off of. Maybee it will even lead to an entire pigmy armed forces mod! biggrin.gif

well the size is right i dubbel checked it on some prints but any way if you think that the size is not right i got a tip for you: Edit it by your self! But any way the carrier that i am working on will not be in 1 piece it is in 3 pieces :

1: The front

2: the midel with the tower and that stuff

3: the back of the ship

i did it because the OFP engine does not support so many roadway lod and ingame you just fall down treu the deck so if its in 3 pieces it works fine but i need some help on it and i am trying to add some scripts to it such as: Catapult and arrestor script.

But any way if some 1 can help me with some things i thank you then biggrin.gif

Picture 1

well as you see on this picture the one that we have now looks almost the same as the real one biggrin.gif

Like people have pointed out before, The Tarawa class is actually a helecopter carrier, though it can take Harriers as well. there are no catapults or arrestors. If you want to make an accurate model, I suggest scripts to hold your sections together while the ship moves and something to hold items on deck in place. On the size issue, I started knocking up a model myself (just a one piece to see what the problems were) and came up with this:

2431123.jpg

Thats with a length of 250metres (From the source I found), just over the 844 feet that Baron Von Beer stated. As you can see, it's a lot smaller than the alpha.

Well for the cargo scrip i dont know but the version that i am makeing is static because i cant see the fun of driving a ship that is going 10mph or something smile.gif

most cargo vessels go 30 knots per hour or faster...

it is a good idea to split it in three parts. i have no idea to check the size in O2, if you find that it is too big so resize it.

don't make arrestor and catapult lha and lhd don't have.

the harrier take of verticaly(no ramp)

but if you want make some script why not the side and the rear lift, the phalanx turret (that i haven't done), some light for the night mission, add some rescue boat, the rear door and the big cargo bay for the marines landing ship,the air bay with the lift a lot of idea.

i have a question is it possible to put unit and car on the deck if yes i'll make the typical navy tractor.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (waffendennis @ 03 May 2003,11:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well for the cargo scrip i dont know but the version that i am makeing is static because i cant see the fun of driving a ship that is going 10mph or something smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

i am agree with you i think that we must make a static ship

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (spad @ 02 May 2003,14:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">it is a good idea to split it in three parts. i have no idea to check the size in O2, if you find that it is too big so resize it.

don't make arrestor and catapult lha and lhd don't have.

the harrier take of verticaly(no ramp)

but if you want make some script why not the side and the rear lift, the phalanx turret (that i haven't done), some light for the night mission, add some rescue boat, the rear door and the big cargo bay for the marines landing ship,the air bay with the lift a lot of idea.

i have a question is it possible to put unit and car on the deck if yes i'll make the typical navy tractor.<span id='postcolor'>

One square in the grid = 1 metre. To scale your model, make the size fit exactly into one square, then multiply by the number of metres in the dimension you are scaling by.

this is in no way a complete addon so i do not know why it is in the complete section.

You cant evan use it as a prop because it is not textured.Alpha's should never be released

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (punishment @ 02 May 2003,15:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">this is in no way a complete addon so i do not know why it is in the complete section.

You cant evan use it as a prop because it is not textured.Alpha's should never be released<span id='postcolor'>

It is textured.

Are we talking about the same model?

Waffendennis, like spad said, please don't put catapault scripts on it as this carrier is an amphibioius assault carrier made for helicopters and Harrier jets rather then normal Navy aircraft like the ones used on bigger aircraft carriers.

Also here's the reason why linking the 3 sections is important.  If a helicopter lands a little too hard or bumps it, the carrier might move.  I hope that you make it REALLY REALLY heavy so that it does not move otherwise the ship will come apart.   smile.gif  However the important thing is that you get the roadway sections working.  Once that works and the collision models are fixed, then I think it would be usable.

At any rate, if you got the roadway part fixed I hope you can release it soon.  Please don't hold on to it for weeks or months while your working on all the other little scripts. Some type of beta would be nice for the rest of us to make missions with while you're working on the other scripts.

Thanks,

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

well ok i dont gonna put catapult or arrestor hook scripts on it but the problem then is you only can land with the harrier from the falklands and i dont think the others like that becasue if you try a A10/F15/F16/Tornado you cant land on the deck so mabey a setveloctiy to slow them down so no arrestorhook but only a setvelocity script to slow them down? but yea il release a beta version of it when i made some model changes because i gonna try to make it like the real one and adding some lights to it but its only STATIC. but if there can be some way a non static version where you can land on then il contact the leader of BAS to aske if i can use there caro script for it so you can store your harriers and choppers smile.gif but about the lift a is there a lift in it? i dont think so tell me if i am wrong.... biggrin.gif

A10, F15, F16 and Tornado are all land based aircraft and can't use a carrier anyway. If you wanted to go the whole hog and do a genuine aircraft carrier, the planes to use would be the FA18, F14,  A6 and E2, all of which are floating around in various forms and degrees of quality. If you take a look at a piccy of the Tarawa, you'll see there's actually two elevators there; One dead astern of the flight deck, for vehicles and cargo, and one portside towards the rear for aircraft to use; that square jobby sticking out there.

smile.gif

2433185.jpg

Tarawa carriers are only used by the Marines to my knowledge, and they don't fly A10s/ F15s/ Tornados, only the Harrier and a bunch of helicopters.

The Navy uses its bigger supercarriers for launching EA6Bs, FA18s, S3s, and that sort of thing.

and tarawa has two lift one rear and one on the left side (the small square)

it has a rear door for launching amphibious assault, it has two great bay one for plane and one for the landing ship,

it has a great radar (maybe a script for make it turn)

It might be worth it to try and make a simulated supercarrier with this addon, in addition to the assault ship. With this simulated carrier, we could experiment with scripts for landings and takeoffs, as well as practice landing aircraft on the decks for when a real supercarrier is added (if ever).

Also, don't forget that someone a long time ago made a set of US Navy deck crewman.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ 02 May 2003,22:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also, don't forget that someone a long time ago made a set of US Navy deck crewman.<span id='postcolor'>

So they did. Where can they be got?

You might be able to get them at OFPEC since they've not changed any of their addon stuff for quite a while.

edit:oops didn't see the 4th page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wardog @ 03 May 2003,19:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ 02 May 2003,22<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also, don't forget that someone a long time ago made a set of US Navy deck crewman.<span id='postcolor'>

So they did. Where can they be got?<span id='postcolor'>

my mistake it`s OFPEC DWR carriercrew page 1 unit section

Wait..so the carrier is only static right? I can't land any planes..right?! MeH, trying to download but it aint working sad.gif

thumbs-up.gif

-iCe-