Sign in to follow this  
silent_64

Is there a tut on lods?

Well topic name says it all.... And yes i HAVE searched to forum! Didn't find anything sad.gif If there isn't a tut on them can't someone explaine it? confused.gif

you dont need to do anything in the config smile.gif its an model part... just make some nice lods and they will work ingame without changing anything in the cpp

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FW200 @ April 25 2003,08:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you dont need to do anything in the config smile.gif its an model part... just make some nice lods and they will work ingame without changing anything in the cpp<span id='postcolor'>

Then what is a nice LOD? And what do they do? I know now to make them in O2, but do I need them? I'm just one big question sign confused.gif

OK you need to go the www.ofp.info/brsseb

These tutorials will walk you slowing through creating cars, weapons, boats and planes.

In doing so they lead you slowly by the hand teaching you you to use Oxygen, how to apply textures and what LODs are for.

They even provide a bit of grounding in writing config.cpp files.

But, if you want a quick grounding...

numbered LODs

0.000 and up These are models that the game shows to the external player. Ie you are looking at a tank. The lower the number the higher the detail.

9.5 when you are here the models re basically just shaes - suggesting detail rather than showing it

Now, the 5+ resolution LOs are just the start.

Geometry LOD

This is a special LOD made up of simple shapes. I make mine with boxes. Each box is called 'Component0x' as a selection. The Geometry LOD creates an actual shape that the player bumps into when walking. ALso, the models weight is set in the Geometry LOD and distributed around the model.

Fire Geometry - This is what you bullets will hit. It is made the same way as the geometry LOD but in more detail. Its closer to the actual shape of your model. If you model was a house thre would be gaps in the fire geometry for the windows.

View Geometry - This is creates a siluoette in the game. Behind this shape the AI does not see anything (and the game does not render)

Hit Points - Things like Tanks have this LOD, it enables specific areas to be created that can be damaged seperately.

Memory - A LOD made of only vertexes, it is the crucial LOD. It contains the points around which things like wheels spin, guns fire from and exhaust smoke starts.

View Pilot - This model is what the driver sees when you are inside a tank / plane / jeep

View Gunner

ViewCommander

There are a few more minor LODs but brsseb's tutorials are your next step.

Good Luck modelling, it looks hard but its doable, it just takes patience.