Sign in to follow this  
OxPecker

Best 7.62mm battle rifle

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (110 @ April 08 2003,23:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Another .308 battle rifle (not assault rifle like AKM) that we forgot is the Sig 240. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Damn, you're right on.

How could we forget it ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> what about the hk 51?? Is it just a cut down g3 or is its internals different ?? <span id='postcolor'>

Not a HK product.

Cut down HK91 ( G3 for civilian market ) by north armerican armorers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 07 2003,17:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Try diving with the bastard and you'll see what I mean smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Oooh, me thinks diving with it is easy. The hard part will be staying over the waterline tounge.gif

I dont find diving that hard with the G3...but try swimming with a MG3 biggrin.gif

G3 is a accurate weapon and its even against its reputation quite reliable.

In bargain its not hard to clean imho,its just the drill instructor who finds dirt every time he looks for it so you got the feeling its hard to clean wink.gif

The sight is imho the best iron sight avaivable altho I would prefer a scope.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([76]Chavez @ April 10 2003,00:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont find diving that hard with the G3<span id='postcolor'>

Then you must have some mighty weird anatomy mate wink.gif

The weight and the length of the G3 makes it impossible to adjust the counter-weights in a stable manner when going below 2-3m. So it makes it impossible to hold it in the arms and hold a constant depth; your torso and head sink while your feet float upwards. The standard solution is that you attach it between the belt and your leg (by a clip attachment), pointing about 30 degrees up. You can then hold a constant depth but you have an assymetric weight displacement which makes it difficult to swim and the attachment makes it difficult for you to make full use of the leg. Real nightmare sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 10 2003,02:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([76]Chavez @ April 10 2003,00:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont find diving that hard with the G3<span id='postcolor'>

Then you must have some mighty weird anatomy mate wink.gif

The weight and the length of the G3 makes it impossible to adjust the counter-weights in a stable manner when going below 2-3m. So it makes it impossible to hold it in the arms and hold a constant depth; your torso and head sink while your feet float upwards. The standard solution is that you attach it between the belt and your leg (by a clip attachment), pointing about 30 degrees up. You can then hold a constant depth but you have an assymetric weight displacement which makes it difficult to swim and the attachment makes it difficult for you to make full use of the leg. Real nightmare  sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

edit: forget it - me being silly!

I haven't used any of those weapons ( sad.gif ), so I will vote based on world-wide usage, ie: FN-FAL. If it was such a bad weapon, then 90 some countries wouldn't have used it. Don't you think?

I'm a distance shooter so my bias is towards the M-14. A lovely rifle for targets out to 500-700 yards. Nice and solid (its all wood and steel, no plastic) so it doesn't break, not as heavy as its older cousin the garand, simple easily adjusted iron sights, and it CAN take a scope OK. Twenty round mag, snaps in nice and easy. Easy to disassemble and clean. Forget full auto, for a pure shooter, this is the rifle to have. Its why some of the SEALs still use it. The Navy still has them, I've seen pictures of sailors on security detail in the current war carrying them. The Navy loves that rifle! I'd love to get my hands on an M1A1 super national match rifle (civvy version of the M-21).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ April 10 2003,07:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm a distance shooter so my bias is towards the M-14.  A lovely rifle for targets out to 500-700 yards.  Nice and solid (its all wood and steel, no plastic) so it doesn't break, not as heavy as its older cousin the garand, simple easily adjusted iron sights, and it CAN take a scope OK.  Twenty round mag, snaps in nice and easy.  Easy to disassemble and clean.  Forget full auto, for a pure shooter, this is the rifle to have.  Its why some of the SEALs still use it.  The Navy still has them, I've seen pictures of sailors on security detail in the current war carrying them.  The Navy loves that rifle!  I'd love to get my hands on an M1A1 super national match rifle (civvy version of the M-21).<span id='postcolor'>

the M14 is a fine sporting rifle, no doubt. if there would be a pneumatic version of it, i'd be the first one to by it! smile.gif

but it wouldn't have been taken out of regular service in the 60ies, if the design hadn't been outdated. the other rifles were kept much longer in service. the G3 was still used in the 90ties.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ April 10 2003,12:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the G3 was still used in the 90ties.<span id='postcolor'>

The G3 is still in use today smile.gif

And by the looks of it, it will still be used for quite some time to come.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow @ April 10 2003,14:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ April 10 2003,12:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the G3 was still used in the 90ties.<span id='postcolor'>

The G3 is still in use today smile.gif

And by the looks of it, it will still be used for quite some time to come.<span id='postcolor'>

i was thinking of Germany. it may be still in use here. but the G36 is our main rifle now. but other countries like Turkey (maybe greece too) still use it, you're right.

The M-14 is still in service in the U.S. Navy. Its also in service in its derivative version, the M-21. But, you are right. As an every day service rifle, its not all that good. Its too heavy, as is the ammo. It doesn't do all that well in full-auto fire. Its more of a specialty rifle for good shooters. For your average infantryman, it would be a waste of time.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ April 10 2003,07:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm a distance shooter so my bias is towards the M-14.  A lovely rifle for targets out to 500-700 yards.  Nice and solid (its all wood and steel, no plastic) so it doesn't break, not as heavy as its older cousin the garand, simple easily adjusted iron sights, and it CAN take a scope OK.  Twenty round mag, snaps in nice and easy.  Easy to disassemble and clean.  Forget full auto, for a pure shooter, this is the rifle to have.  Its why some of the SEALs still use it.  The Navy still has them, I've seen pictures of sailors on security detail in the current war carrying them.  The Navy loves that rifle!  I'd love to get my hands on an M1A1 super national match rifle (civvy version of the M-21).<span id='postcolor'>

Have you ever seen a picture of a Polymer stocked M-14/M1a broken? In person?

Todays Polymer stocks are just as durable, if not more so then wood. I have however seen plenty of split and cracked wooden stocks.

Scope mounts on the M-14 are too high. This is why the M-21 has an adjustable cheek piece so that you can get a comfortable cheek weld.

The M-14 is a very nice rifle. I do like the iron sights smile.gif

Keep in mind that the reason the Navy uses the rifle is because its what they have in store. Not to say they would choose something else, just keep that in mind.