Sign in to follow this  
Jester983

This is pretty lame

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Mar. 12 2003,21:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Mar. 12 2003,20:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So what happens when someone burns your St. Georges Cross like the one in your sig? wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I've never ever seen one burned, England never pisses anyone off, it's that annoying Britain place that upsets people smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

most people don't know that england has it's own flag. tounge.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Othin @ Mar. 12 2003,21:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It bothers me on a very emotional level to see the American flag burned.  On the other hand, it makes me so proud to see it raised every morning for colors that my heart wants to burst.  I don't think I can express in writing how much is summed up for me when I see the flag.  <span id='postcolor'>

You really mean that?  crazy.gif

I don't know it's possible that saying and thinking such things are normal in America. I'll give you a piece of advice though: don't tell this to Europeans, they'll either laugh their ass off or send you to a mental institution.

Nothing personal, but don't you see how pathetic this is? It's like hearing something from "The sorrows of young Werther". This type of reasoning and thinking went out of style 200 years ago. I suppose your eyes also tear up when you hear "freedom fries", thinking of the brave men and women who have sacrificed their lives protectihng the freedom of this great country. GOD BLESS AMERICA! (*sniff*)

I am proud of my country and would give my life defending it, but as far as I am concerned, you can wipe your behind with our flag for all that I care.

Edit: Correction, I said "don't tell this to Europeans" which is not entirely right. As I understand the Norwegians have a sexual relationship with their flag wink.gif

since i've been living in 3 different countries i don't know which flag i should be proud of. i just don't have an american-like relationship to flags.

chose flag and burn it, i don't care.

kssr53.gif

KAZK001.GIF

image6.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ Mar. 12 2003,22:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">since i've been living in 3 different countries i don't know which flag i should be proud of.<span id='postcolor'>

I'd say the German flag looks better than the two red crosses biggrin.gif. Just my opinion though smile.gif.

As for me:

cu75.gif

ru75.gif

ua75.gif

ca75.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 12 2003,22:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ Mar. 12 2003,22:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">since i've been living in 3 different countries i don't know which flag i should be proud of.<span id='postcolor'>

I'd say the German flag looks better than the two red crosses biggrin.gif. Just my opinion though smile.gif.<span id='postcolor'>

Kazakh flags

the first two ones.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 12 2003,13:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You really mean that? crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I do. I don't even have any qualms about saying that. I don't expect you to understand it, because you have been brought up differently.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't know it's possible that saying and thinking such things are normal in America. I'll give you a piece of advice though: don't tell this to Europeans, they'll either laugh their ass off or send you to a mental institution.<span id='postcolor'>

Many Americans feel the same way, especially those of us that are serving in the military. There is even a flag manual for the proper treatment of flags during ceremonies and such. If Europeans find that funny, so be it. I just ask then when they're in my country on my base they show respect for our ceremonies at 0800 and 1700.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nothing personal, but don't you see how pathetic this is? It's like hearing something from "The sorrows of young Werther". This type of reasoning and thinking went out of style 200 years ago. I suppose your eyes also tear up when you hear "freedom fries", thinking of the brave men and women who have sacrificed their lives protectihng the freedom of this great country. GOD BLESS AMERICA! (*sniff*)<span id='postcolor'>

I don't find it pathetic at all. This was the way that I was brought up. Mark it down as a cultural thing if you must.

I've said before that I don't care one way or another about the freedom fries thing. I also think the word freedom is overused as of late. Your suppositions about my thoughts on freedom fries are both wrong and snide.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ Mar. 12 2003,22:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">*edit* damn url's dont work!

try google for "kazakh flag" wink.gif *edit*<span id='postcolor'>

I can help you with that one, but as for Kssr, the old Soviet republican flags are harder to find these days tounge.gif

kz75.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 12 2003,22:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ Mar. 12 2003,22:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">*edit* damn url's dont work!

try google for "kazakh flag" wink.gif *edit*<span id='postcolor'>

I can help you with that one, but as for Kssr, the old Soviet republican flags are harder to find these days tounge.gif

kz75.gif<span id='postcolor'>

have a look at my edited post.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Othin @ Mar. 12 2003,22:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't find it pathetic at all.  This was the way that I was brought up.  Mark it down as a cultural thing if you must.<span id='postcolor'>

I will. And I do respect it as a cultural thing. I would never wipe my behind with an American flag in front of Americans! wow.giftounge.gif

I still must say that I find it very funny smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 12 2003,21:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As I understand the Norwegians have a sexual relationship with their flag wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That's just mean.

What i meant with the British flag is that in reality it's a bit of cloth.

I would much prefer to have all the flags in Britain burnt than Britain itself burnt to the ground.

The English and Scottish flag make up the Union Jack, both countries are represented, Wales and Northern ireland are too insignifigant to be represented! tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Edit: Correction, I said "don't tell this to Europeans" which is not entirely right. As I understand the Norwegians have a sexual relationship with their flag

<span id='postcolor'>

Hehe....surprise surprise....Denoir couldn't resist! lol

If I did care about my flag I would very likely feel like this:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Me want to club something."<span id='postcolor'>

Othin:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Many Americans feel the same way, especially those of us that are serving in the military. There is even a flag manual for the proper treatment of flags during ceremonies and such. If Europeans find that funny, so be it. I just ask then when they're in my country on my base they show respect for our ceremonies at 0800 and 1700.

<span id='postcolor'>

Same procedure in every country that has a flag. However, on some occasions (in Norway) burning the flag is absolutely required. In the military - if the flag touches the ground it is not allowed to be raised again - thus it must be burned and replaced. I've actually seen this happen once!

heh. Should have seen the Brit flag over goose green, quite a bit of sheep shit smears and bullet holes through that one

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 13 2003,01:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Same procedure in every country that has a flag. However, on some occasions (in Norway) burning the flag is absolutely required. In the military - if the flag touches the ground it is not allowed to be raised again - thus it must be burned and replaced. I've actually seen this happen once!<span id='postcolor'>

Same in America. If a flag becomes too old or touches the ground it is burned. And there is a certain procedure to follow for the burning if I am not mistaken.

I don't see the big deal about some one caring for their countries flag. So what? Who are any of us to say whether they are wrong or "childish"? So the Europeans feel differently. So what? Does that make them any more right? No. Nor does it make the Americans right for loving their flag. It's a matter of opinion and I don't think anyone has the right to scoff at it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ Mar. 13 2003,01:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't see the big deal about some one caring for their countries flag. So what? Who are any of us to say whether they are wrong or "childish"? So the Europeans feel differently. So what? Does that make them any more right? No. Nor does it make the Americans right for loving their flag. It's a matter of opinion and I don't think anyone has the right to scoff at it.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree with you on that. First and foremost - one has to accept and respect other peoples symbols of identity wether it is a flag or something else!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Mar. 12 2003,23:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 12 2003,21wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As I understand the Norwegians have a sexual relationship with their flag <!--emo&wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That's just mean.

What i meant with the British flag is that in reality it's a bit of cloth.

I would much prefer to have all the flags in Britain burnt than Britain itself burnt to the ground.

The English and Scottish flag make up the Union Jack, both countries are represented, Wales and Northern ireland are too insignifigant to be represented!  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Northern Ireland (and Ireland as a whole but no-ones cottoned on to that since the 20's smile.gif ) is represented in the red X on the flag biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 13 2003,00:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I agree with you on that. First and foremost - one has to accept and respect other peoples symbols of identity wether it is a flag or something else!<span id='postcolor'>

Sheep!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Northern Ireland (and Ireland as a whole but no-ones cottoned on to that since the 20's ) is represented in the red X on the flag <span id='postcolor'>

I had no idea, i thought it was just the two that were conqurered when it was formed, you learn something new everyday! (and probably forget 100 or so)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Mar. 13 2003,01:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 13 2003,00:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I agree with you on that. First and foremost - one has to accept and respect other peoples symbols of identity wether it is a flag or something else!<span id='postcolor'>

Sheep!<span id='postcolor'>

And how is that?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Mar. 13 2003,01:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sheep!

<span id='postcolor'>

Hehe looks like I'm caught in a crossfire between Denoir and Jinef!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I had no idea, i thought it was just the two that were conqurered when it was formed, you learn something new everyday! (and probably forget 100 or so)<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm....I have a suggestion on this one! Northern Ireland already have strong (catholic) symbols. Why not raise the "blanket" in memory of the "blanket gang". I suppose it wouldn't look very nice though!

By the way Jinef - you certainly are active today. Too much coffee perhaps? hehe

I know! Caffeine is great aint it, plus i didn't have anything to do today so i'm making the most of it by just expressing my views, playing games, watching TV etc.

But i do have to do stuff tomorrow so i'm off.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 13 2003,01:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ Mar. 13 2003,01:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't see the big deal about some one caring for their countries flag. So what? Who are any of us to say whether they are wrong or "childish"? So the Europeans feel differently. So what? Does that make them any more right? No. Nor does it make the Americans right for loving their flag. It's a matter of opinion and I don't think anyone has the right to scoff at it.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree with you on that. First and foremost - one has to accept and respect other peoples symbols of identity wether it is a flag or something else!<span id='postcolor'>

Don't worry, I'm not trying to prevent you from masturbating at the sight of "Det rene norske flagg" wink.gif

No, but seriously, I do think that one should respect other countires' customs. I also think that one can find them being strange without necessarily being insultive.

Why does just about everything in offtopic end up as a USA vs. Europe deabte? tounge.gif

Anyway, my 2 cents on the subject -

There is nothing wrong with being proud of your country. To a limit. Being a fanatical patriot is a very dangerous and destructive thing. The sooner everyone realises we are all citizens of planet Earth and stop slicing each other throats over a small rectangle of cloth bearing national colours, the better.

Am I proud to be Australian? Yes.

Do I tear up and get a lump in my throat when I see the flag flying or hear the national anthem? Not hardly.

Would I fight and die, if it was asked of me, to protect the lives and freedom of my countrymen? Probably.

I don't think any country in the world takes national pride to the same extremes that America do. In many ways, it's a good thing, building a sense of unity and loyalty to your country. But in many other ways it is what isloates America from the rest of the world.

How can anyone honestly claim their country is "the greatest nation on Earth" with a straight face?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 13 2003,02:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't worry, I'm not trying to prevent you from masturbating at the sight of "Det rene norske flagg" wink.gif

<span id='postcolor'>

I wouldn't waste my premature ejaculation on my flag - I'll save it for your sister! hehe (gee are we getting personal now)