Sign in to follow this  
foxer

New bomb,bigger then daisy cutter.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Mar. 12 2003,07:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Mar. 11 2003,22:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">anybody know how far that video was taken from? confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No, hard to tell. The impact is 43 seconds into the clip, and at the end of the clip at 1wow.gif8, the sound hasn't arrived yet.

At sea level (the film is from Eglin AFB in Florida), the speed of sound is about 340 meters / 1110 feet per second, so the distance had to have been at least 8.5 kilometers / 5.25 miles. My guess is that the military required observers to be much farther away than that.<span id='postcolor'>

good point. Tex[uSMC] also came with similar number(got PM from him). thanx to you two smile.gif

The MOAB doesn't use GSX (aluminium powder and ammonium nitrate), it uses trinitrol. It's much more powerful than the old Daisy Cutter.

MOAB is also known as th FUEL air bomb (no, not fuel as in gassoline or jetfuel)

It works in the way that it sucks up all oxygen in a 2 km radius and then incinerates it.. Kinda like an impotion.

bomben.jpg

MONSTERBOMB: The bomb is on a scaffold when hoisted into the C-130

ombesak.jpg

NOT THAT SMALL: MOABs physical size is huge.

US defenceauthroities hope the iraqis think its a nuke that's being dropped

fly.jpg

HIGH ALTITUDE: The C-130s drop the bomb from high altitudes.

On the picture, a Hercules over Arizona

drop.jpg

WITH PARACHUTE: The bomb is dropped with parachute,

but after the drop, the bombs own navigational systems takes over.

Courtesy of

cnn.gif

If the USA will use Big Blue the other name of the bomb over Iraq they are taking into account that all people within 1.5 km´s blast area will be killed. The psychological effect of a nuke will be secondary but it will kill a lot of people at once.

This bomb is a weapon of mass destruction for me.

Wow, that was a rather nasty explosion in the video.

Somehow I've been having this image that most of the FAE weapons are dropped with parachute? If this is true, does anybody know why?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Mar. 12 2003,10:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If the USA will use Big Blue the other name of the bomb over Iraq they are taking into account that all people within 1.5 km´s blast area will be killed. The psychological effect of a nuke will be secondary but it will kill a lot of people at once.

This bomb is a weapon of mass destruction for me.<span id='postcolor'>

After throwing the bomb they`ll say the killed ones were showings no signs of surrender and everything will be fine. Just as usual. Dead people can`t tell the truth.

technical data and history:

February 27, 2003: The U.S. Air Force is developing a new, 2nd generation, ten ton large, low air burst bomb. It will replace the older "Daisy Cutter" 7.5 ton bomb developed during the 1960s. This was a 7.5 ton bomb using a semi-liquid explosive for clearing landing zones in the Vietnam jungle. The terms "Daisy Cutter" actually comes from the four foot probe at the bottom of the bomb which triggered the explosion without creating a crater (helicopters don't like to land in craters.) The probe was later replaced with a radar altimeter fuze, but the nickname "Daisy Cutter" stuck. The official designation was BLU-82 (or "Big Blue"). Until the BLU-82 came along, the biggest non-nuclear explosion obtainable was with a FAE (Fuel Air Explosives). FAE works by dropping a bomb that is actually a large aerosol dispenser. When the FAE "explodes" it first dispenses a large cloud of flammable material (anything like gasoline or propane will work). The cloud is then ignited and huge explosion results. There's one drawback, the size and density of the aerosol cloud depends a lot on the wind, air temperature and humidity. So the power of the explosion will vary a lot. But it's difficult to get a FAE to work in a bomb larger than 2000 pounds. So the replacement for the BLU-82 bomb, called MOAB (Massive Ordnance Air Burst) simply uses more of the slurry of ammonium nitrate and powdered aluminum. In dry, dusty conditions, the Daisy Cutter produces a mushroom cloud similar to that created by a nuclear explosion (and for the same reason, the sheer size of the explosion creates an upward pull that sends up a "mushroom" of smoke and dust on a column of smoke). In addition to a more powerful explosion, MOAB doesn’t need a parachute, like the Daisy Cutter, but uses a GPS (like JDAM) and an aerodynamic body to detonate the bomb at a precise area. Thus the MOAB can be dropped from a higher altitude (like outside the range of machine-guns and rifles). Like the Daisy Cutter, MOAB is shoved out the back of a cargo aircraft (usually a C-130, but since the MOAB uses GPS and higher altitude drops, the C-17 can probably be used as well.) MOAB is a highly destructive and terrifying weapon. If used in Iraq, it would demoralize any Iraqi troops in the vicinity who survived the explosion. The force of a MOAB explosion is sufficient to knock over tanks and kill any people within several hundred meters of the detonation. After the 1991 Gulf War, the United States started to get rid of it's various FAE weapons. But some were left in the inventory when the Afghanistan came along and the success of Daisy Cutters there, plus the new Russian research in FAE weapons, led to the new American research effort. There may be larger, or simply more powerful, FAE weapons in the works. But for the moment, MOAB, using pretty old fashioned technology, is the biggest non-nuclear bomb around.

You know why the bomb was tested in Florida? It wasn't to send a message to Saddam. No, Bush wanted to teach the voters of Florida to vote more carefully next time around!

-=Die Alive=-

This is crazy.

I expect he's going to drop them on the 'radical' kurds to the north!

Can someone create this as an addon munition to be used with Adammo's C-130?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Mar. 12 2003,16:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is crazy.

I expect he's going to drop them on the 'radical' kurds to the north!<span id='postcolor'>

Who? Bush? Don't be silly, the Kurds in the North can't wait for the war to start -- they want payback for getting gassed by Saddam.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Mar. 13 2003,03:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Mar. 12 2003,16:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is crazy.

I expect he's going to drop them on the 'radical' kurds to the north!<span id='postcolor'>

Who? Bush? Don't be silly, the Kurds in the North can't wait for the war to start -- they want payback for getting gassed by Saddam.<span id='postcolor'>

Well all kurds hate Saddam big time - no doubt about that!

However, the kurds are divided in fractions constantly fighting eachother. It is also expected that US want's to fight the radical muslim kurdish factions such as Ansar Al-islam. Some of the kurdish groups have received arms and support from US and it is expected that those groups (PUK I think) will benefit from support of US bombers.

The fact that there is fighting between different Kurdish factions won't stop them from banding together against Saddam. They know that if Saddam is disposed of, the resulting power vaccuum will leave plenty of opportunity for political (and thus financial) gain.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Mar. 13 2003,03:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The fact that there is fighting between different Kurdish factions won't stop them from banding together against Saddam. They know that if Saddam is disposed of, the resulting power vaccuum will leave plenty of opportunity for political (and thus financial) gain.<span id='postcolor'>

This could be - but the fighting between the kurdish groups has lasted a while - and has been quite nasty as well.

My thoughts on this is that if US engages on behalf of some of the factions (and it will have to when Iraq is divided into 3 administrative regions) there will be trouble. Let's hope that won't happen. Also, I'm having trouble seeing US giving up an inch to the more radical islamic kurdish groups - because they fight US allies (kurdish groups) and they are related not to Al Qaida but to Iran.

Future will tell!

I don't expect the Kurds to stop their factional fighting, but I'm sure they'll briefly set their differences aside to fight a common enemy.

If the US does get UN backing, I'm sure we'll see a multinational peacekeeping force in Iraq, with a heavily Arabic contingent. That might help build trust again.

Can FAE take out huge mine fields ? Because they would probably do that before they send in all the tanks and soldiers.

HI All, ive just picked this topic - saw the picture from CNN - are they dropping it in the ocean?? i mean are they droppping it in the ocean, where all the whales and fishes and dolphins live?? just for testing?? forkin morons, for such a powerful nation they are fuckin dumb. mebbe i can test one of my own home made bombs on their fuckin face- hope they dont mind.

Pro Army! - Anti War!

HI All, ive just glanced at this topic - saw the picture from CNN - are they dropping it in the ocean?? i mean are they droppping it in the ocean, where all the whales and fishes and dolphins live?? just for testing?? forkin morons, for such a powerful nation they are forkin dumb. mebbe i can test one of my own home made bombs on their forkin face- hope they dont mind.

Pro Army - Anti War

n.b if the picture isnt a bomb being dropped in the ocean then let this post go - I'm drunk

I think they dropped it on land. Airforce Bases are usually on land.

-=Die Alive=-