Sign in to follow this  
toadlife

Operation Lojack 2

I've released an Updated Version of Operation Lojack. There are two versions:

Download Standard Version 2.02

Download BAS Version 2.02

The original Operation Lojack stopped working when 1.85 came out (due to Helicopter AI), but reather than just fixing the small part the broke the mission, I decided to address some other issues, and make improvements.

The biggest complaint I got was that the mission was too damn easy. Also, many people didn't know that there were three possible locations for the hostage, and therefore didn't know that the mission was replayable. Furthermore, if the person knew that there was more than one possible hostage location, they had no way of knowing if they got a different location the next time they played the mission. Both of these issues and more have been addressed.

Some new Features/Improvements:

MISC INFO:

* Requires OFP version 1.85 or higher

* Two (otherwise identical) versions - one requiring no add ons and one using BAS Ranger add ons

Features/Improvements

* Added: Three new possible hostage camps

* Added: At mission start, a number appears in the bottom corner of the screen, which correlates the camp the hostage is at. When replaying the mission, you can restart until you get a different number to ensure you will get a different camp!

* Added: Added a few more small patrol groups around important areas

* Changed: Enemies call for backup sooner

* Changed: Enemies will now try and kill the hostage when you are detected near the camp (much more challenging)

* Improved: Enemies now scream and shout when they spot you

* Fixed: a few small bugs in the "grouplink" script (script that controls enemy reactions)

* Added: MANY other *little* things that are cool.

You can also rate the mission at the page above.

Enjoy!

Edited by W0lle
Working links added

As a faithful follower of this great mission, i must say this is one hell of an improvement. I could tell you about the experience i had playing the new version, but i don't wanna type that much. If you've never play Op. Lojack, download this NOW! If you've played the first version, you will love the newer version. Its simply amazing, one of the best missions to show off AI that i've ever seen, and one of the best missions all around. So...quit reading this and download it! wink.gif

I was so impressed with the updated state of this mission that I was going to post this thread last night, but the pub was calling me.

It is hard as nails, a good challenge. Great work Toadlife!

RED

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (toadlife @ Mar. 09 2003,10:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've released an Updated Version of Operation Lojack.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, another MOM winner. biggrin.gif

A BUG!

The boys over at http://www.mapfact.net/ found a slight bug with the weapon selection! sad.gif

There is no ammo for the M14 Aimpoint weapon!

They like it and asked to translate it to German, so I've decided to fix the small ammo bug (and any more that may pop up) and release the mission with support for ALL languages.

If anyone who reads this speaks fluent Italian, French, Russian, or Czech (I have a friend who speaks fluent spanish) and wants to help translate, let me know. biggrin.gif

Jesus! this one was cool! I played the bas addon version and I can say this is one of the best missions I ever played. Lots of details like screaming enemies, transmissions with real voices, speeches, intros and the outro was real fun too biggrin.gif. Thanks a buch for this awesome mission. Say, Are you going to make more missions like this one? I would be the first one to test it.

unfortunaltely we could never play the lojack v1 at our server, because the intro would never end. sad.gif

are you going to convert lojack v2 into coop too?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pang @ Mar. 10 2003,19:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">unfortunaltely we could never play the lojack v1 at our server, because the intro would never end.<span id='postcolor'>

Is your version dated January 14 or an earlier one?

aaaah thx smile.gif

i havent seen the updated version on toadlife´s site.

we have had the old version that wasnt compatible with ofp1.85

Guest jacobaby

Its a great mission, we enjoyed the original on my server many times.

However CPU loading is quite high toady, on 1.1Ghz CPU I used to get only 8fps. Wierd things start to happen then.....

I will try the new version on my new server (twin 1.13ghz with a gig of ram) and see how it fares.

Thanks

TJ

Guest jacobaby

erm, Toady, is this version a co-op or just SP??

thx

TJ

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jacobaby @ Mar. 13 2003,19:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">erm, Toady, is this version a co-op or just SP??<span id='postcolor'>

The one that started this thread (the same one reviewed at MOM) is SP. The one I pointed to above is an earlier coop version.

I assume they are somewhat different based on the beta testing and changes that were done in the interim until the Lowjack 2 SP version was released.

Guest jacobaby

In that case lets have an updated BAS Delta co-op version then biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jacobaby @ Mar. 13 2003,19:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In that case lets have an updated BAS Delta co-op version then  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

What I don't understand is why can't the same PBO be designed for either SP or MP. Pardon my mission editing ignorance but it's done often enough. Why not just design it that way always?

Well there are a number of scripting issues which may need to be altered. If you are using cutsom sounds you may want to take them out to reduce the file size.

RED

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 13 2003,10:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jacobaby @ Mar. 13 2003,19:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In that case lets have an updated BAS Delta co-op version then biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

What I don't understand is why can't the same PBO be designed for either SP or MP. Pardon my mission editing ignorance but it's done often enough. Why not just design it that way always?<span id='postcolor'>

I wish they could be the same, but they could not due to the following reasons...

* Because a 4.8 MB Multiplayer mission is much to big for people to download

* Because in multiplayer, if you try and do the sequence where the chopper gets shot down, some soldiers inevitably die during the ejection sequence (lag).

* Because the single player version has around 80 sound effects (birds, ect.) scattered around the map - While it was fine in SP, this caused MASSIVE amounts of lag in MP.

I didn't want to sacrifice features of the single player version, to make it work in both SP and coop, so I had to make to different versions.

When I started making the coop version, I basically took the first operation lojack, removed the intro and outro, and started testing. It took me a full three months to finally get it so that it worked correctly. The readme file of operation lojack coop contains a detailed history (AKA, a version history) of the testing I did. If you look at it, you'll get an idea of the hell I went through.

Time for me to see what all the hype is about.   biggrin.gif

after all the good things said about it i am sure i will have fun with it.  wink.gif  I am just glad i am not the only one who makes large missions  tounge.gif

*edit

that was fun, took me a while to save the guy, he kept getting himself shot.

Glad you liked it. remember that there are 6 different camps, and the little number that pops up at the start of the mission so you can be sure to get a different camp if you want to play it again.

Someone just sent me the Czech translation yesterday biggrin.gif , so I'm just waiting for the french and spanish to be finsihed.

/me gets out his tranlator whooping stick

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (toadlife @ April 11 2003,10:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">/me gets out his tranlator whooping stick<span id='postcolor'>

Do it yourself. biggrin.gif

Hrmm. Considering my limited budget for this project ($0.00), I have doubts to weather or not I can get a hold of one of those. wink.gif

HOwever, in 10 years, I'm sure they will be $89.00 at yout local deparment tore.