Sign in to follow this  
Ludovico Technique

Did anybody ever find out

Hi folks, hate to dig up an old topic but I was wondering if anybody found out why the Nampack 2 caused freeze ups. I've tried using it since upgrading my PCs RAM and it still locks up.

It freeze in the single player mission included or in others missions?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ludovico Technique @ Mar. 03 2003,15:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi folks, hate to dig up an old topic but I was wondering if anybody found out why the Nampack 2 caused freeze ups. I've tried using it since upgrading my PCs RAM and it still locks up.<span id='postcolor'>

Are you using the Nam Pack 2 from an isolated mod\addons folder? If not, try and see if that helps.

It is however true that many people have had freezes with the sample mission that came with the pack no matter what.

Most people have freezes whenever they play anything that involves the SEB Nam Pack. Go and read the post in the OFPEC forums. That post has a lot of people who have said they have frequently crashed when using the SEB Nam Pack. I downloaded it last week and I thought I was in for something really cool, but my computer kept on freezing when just messing around in the editor. Sometimes it would freeze after just a few minutes and other times after maybe 30 mins or so. My specs:

Intel P4 2.53 Ghz

768 PC800 RDRAM

Asylum GeForce 4 128MB Ti4200

SbLive! Value Sound Card

80 GB Hard Drive

Windows XP SP1

And yes, everything is up to date. I never have freezes like this when playing with other unofficial addons...

Moving to Addons & Mods: Discussion smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 03 2003,15:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ludovico Technique @ Mar. 03 2003,15:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi folks, hate to dig up an old topic but I was wondering if anybody found out why the Nampack 2 caused freeze ups. I've tried using it since upgrading my PCs RAM and it still locks up.<span id='postcolor'>

Are you using the Nam Pack 2 from an isolated mod\addons folder? If not, try and see if that helps.

It is however true that many people have had freezes with the sample mission that came with the pack no matter what.<span id='postcolor'>

How does that work then? Just create a Nampack folder for it within Res/Addons?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ludovico Technique @ Mar. 03 2003,19:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How does that work then? Just create a Nampack folder for it within Res/Addons?<span id='postcolor'>

No! No!

Search The FAQ for "mod folders".

Could it have anything to do with the weapon models having no LODs? this would mean the AK47 in the hands of 40-50 enemy soldiers 300m away has exactly the same poly count as the model you are holding in 1st person mode. Have a look for yourself or test a level with BIS weapons and then with the SEB weapons, you certainly will get a higher frame rate using the BIS ones

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cheeky monkey @ Mar. 03 2003,20:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Could it have anything to do with the weapon models having no LODs? this would mean the AK47 in the hands of 40-50 enemy soldiers 300m away has exactly the same poly count as the model you are holding in 1st person mode. Have a look for yourself or test a level with BIS weapons and then with the SEB weapons, you certainly will get a higher frame rate using the BIS ones<span id='postcolor'>

our weapons have LODs...as do all of our models, and GhettoP most people dont have crashes, it is only a few that do, although they go onto forums and talk about it, ive seen many many people that havent had a problem with the pack, one thing i have noticed is that ive never froze when playing MP, and ive played maybe 100+ hours of MP with the pack, however Selectthis is/will be working on a bug fix soon.

I "MAY" have found one culprit. When testing the Deltas and Rangers I had added a couple or mortars and a dshk to go up against on a desert island. No lag, no stutter. The mission locked up 5 or 6 times out of about 20.

I had just the BAS units, some BIS Russians and a east seb mortar and dshk.

Other than this, I have not had a crash since testing the Nam pack, or afterwards when creating a Nam era Seal campaign which does not have any mortars in it.

Not one crash. I do get lots of stutter and lag on ia Drang at very hi res with object shadows on, and I have a very very fast machine.

So I think that the mortars may be the problem, but more serious testing is needed. But I have to say, I have never had a crash with missions that do not have a mortar in it from what I can remember.

If you know for a fact that your having crashes with a certain Nam pack mission over and over, send it with your specs to one of the authors. I've yet to hear of anyone doing that.

I've been playing with the 'Nam pack 2 extensively, and no crashes so far. I've messed with mortars, heavy machine guns and all units without problems. So go figure, can't sleep enough hours a day now tounge.gif

In my case, I'm running 'Nam pack 2 (plus the CoC mines of course) as a mod and as the only one unofficial addon being loaded toghether with Keggetys' editor thingy. And by the way, I also removed BIS official addons from the ADDONS directory since they're only needed if you need to play v1.46, whatever you reasons are. All addons formerly released by BIS on previous upgrades, are loaded from the /RES/ADDONS folder when launching Resistance.

My Specs:

-AMD Duron 1 GHz

-The infamous VIA motherboard

-256 MB RAM

-GeForce 2 MX

Lowest detail terrain and no object shadows provide good frame rates with view distnace set at 1200. This is ok for me.

Regards

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Holy Smoke @ Mar. 04 2003,02:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And by the way, I also removed BIS official addons from the ADDONS directory since they're only needed if you need to play v1.46, whatever you reasons are.<span id='postcolor'>

That was absolutely unnecessary, other than giving you a smattering of free disk space. smile.gif

Since the files names are the same, the ones in \RES\Addons overrides those in \Addons.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> All addons formerly released by BIS on previous upgrades, are loaded from the /RES/ADDONS folder when launching Resistance.<span id='postcolor'>

Hopefully, you didn't change or overwrite any of the files in \Res\Addons, did you? confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 04 2003,06:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hopefully, you didn't change or overwrite any of the files in \Res\Addons, did you? confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Nope, never messed with the \Res folder. Eventually I searched on The FAQ (you can quote me on that wink.gif ): Enough warnings already about dropping files there, and I don't really want to know what happens if I change the ones placed there. And as a rule of thumb, I never overwrite files... specially when I think I know what I'm doing tounge.gif

Regards

from my experience:

a) it does exist

b) you do not need MG or Mortar pits in the mission to trigger it

c) it is not entirely random: I have on more than one occasion saved a game shortly before such a crash (5 seconds, a minute), and been able to duplicate it repeatedly.

d) it does seem to be linked to location on the map, but it's not linked to any particular map (i've replicated it on both Ia Drang and Malden).

--

Now, how you minimize the effects (win XP here, change as necessary):

1) Before starting OFP, hit Ctrl-ALT-Delete

2) Make sure the "Applications" tab is selected

3) Hit "Cancel"

4) Start OFP

5) When the game locks up, hit Ctrl-ALT-Delete and wait 2 seconds

6) Hit Alt-E

7) In about 5-30 seconds, you should get a message saying the program won't respond. I believe you're supposed to hit enter at that point to shut it down (or Alt-E. You'll see when you get there).

8) Wait for the program to shut down.

9) Sometimes XP will generate an error log and want to send it to M$. You can get the information out of the log if you so desire, but I don't think anybody wants it.