zylberome

How to reduce Ai engagement distance ?

Hello guys.
Long time player here and i need your inputs.

I decided to play without the artificial zoom we have by holding right mouse button.
Reason is i find out i was almost zooming permanently to be able to spot anything. And it was totally ruining my immersion.

Now ai is killing me really easy as i dont spot them as good as before. But i immensely prefer that as the use of the 'bionic eye zoom feature'.

And soooo i tried to reduce the ai engagement range. As mod, i use only LAMBS.

I put skill and precision in option screen at 0%.
No real change.

I tried to modify CF_BAI (ai mod) to reduce spotting skills and engagement range. But 0 success.

Can you help me guys ?

I absolutely hate the zoom feature and it makes it hell to fight ai without it. I dont really care for military realistic engagement range from my 22 inch computer screen.

12 hours ago, zylberome said:

the 'bionic eye zoom feature'

What your actually doing is just bringing the gun closer to your face to look down the sights, the zoom in general

imo shouldn't happen until you raise your gun to aim down the sights.

In my AI Compilation list seen here:

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/165560-ai-compilation-list-of-addonsmodsscripts-threads-for-arma-3/

There is a category for this subject:  AI Accuracy, Skill, & Spotting/distance

in the future if you have questions take a look at that list as there are many questions and subjects that have been already asked about.

Welcome to BI forums btw!

• Thanks 1

Yes,i've search this topic but didnt find an answer.

Someone told me to make a mod from a small script.

The script would be something like

''Player setunit trait camouflagecoeff 0,5''  but problem IS it would only apply to me the player.

Im searching for a SetAllUnitTrait function to change the camo value of every existing soldier so they all spot each other from closer, and thus engage from closer.

But i cant find this function..

Plz help..

ZYL_camo = [] spawn {

while {true} do 
{
	sleep 5;
	{
		_x setUnitTrait ["camouflageCoef", 0.5];
	} forEach allUnits;
}};

Just run it from the debug console, no need for a mod. 

terminate ZYL_camo;

if you want to stop the loop.

Set the sleep value to whatever works for your scenario - how often AI spawns, for example.

Not tested, and there is likely a better solution.

• Like 1

IT WORKS!

Man i love you, i was able to come close to 250 meters before AI engage me.

I think i'll make it a small mod so i can play single player campaigns with this change.

camouflagecoeff at 0.22 was perfect

(i'm just worried this apply to vehicules and planes too. Is it the case ? do i have to precise it only concerns "man" units ? )

I downloaded arma tools and addonBuilder, but my pbo won't work.... 😞

Here's what i did :

In the folder -MyAddon :

there are      -CfgFunctions.hpp

-config.cpp

-MyScript.sqf

In the .sqf file is the script above from @Harzach.

In config.cpp is written : #include "CfgFunctions.hpp"

In CfgFunctions.hpp is written :

class CfgFunctions
{
    class MyAddon
    {
        class MyFunction
        {
            class MyScript
            {
                file = "\MyAddon\MyScript.sqf";
                postInit = 1;
            };
        };
    };
};

I use addonbuilder to get a pbo, which i then put in @MyMod/addons/Myaddon.pbo and load it from ArmaManager.

The name @MyMod appears at bottom of the screen in Arma 3 menu.

Can someone tell me what i did wrong ? And correct me ?

I'm so close.......

54 minutes ago, zylberome said:

(i'm just worried this apply to vehicules and planes too. Is it the case ? do i have to precise it only concerns "man" units ? )

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/allUnits

Description:

Returns a list of all units, except agents, dead units or units waiting for respawn, outside and inside vehicles that were created on the following sides east, west, independent and civilian.

So yes, just "living men."

thank you Harzach, you're the best.

And about the pbo ? Is it possible ? 😟

20 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

What your actually doing is just bringing the gun closer to your face to look down the sights, the zoom in general

Not exactly, it's a function to mitigate the fact that we're using rectangular screens. So it's either realistic distances or wide field of view. Our eyes can do both, our screens cannot. If you'd want to have realistic perceived distances, you'd have to play with FoV around 45-50°, which obviously makes an FPS game unplayable. Such FoV values can work well in some racing games though, even on flat 24" Full HD screen.

20 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

imo shouldn't happen until you raise your gun to aim down the sights.

Maybe, I'm a bit conflicted about this. On one hand, it's a nice tool, on the other, you're forced to constantly spam it. Zoom Out action is also generally completely useless apart from weapon systems with more then two magnification levels, i.e. tanks, or things like binoculars where you have to hold keys to zoom in and back out. There is a bit of OPF legacy mess interlaced in all this, perhaps things could be streamlined and uniformed a bit in future titles to only use two staged magnification for everything and free up one button on the already limited mouse and make iron sights (that includes general 1x red dot sights) have maximum FoV by default, as if one already held down Zoom In key. Default iron sights FoV, which is the same as regular afair, is only maybe useful for extreme CQB, like doorways type of situation at which point you're probably better of firing from hip, weapon likely blocking less screen too.

• Like 2

Guys, it's an absolute joy to play Apex without the constant bionic zoom. You should try it. It makes the binocular finally useful, or any 2x optics.

With this script, when i see an AI, i know they can see me. When i see small dots, i know they won't see me. If you shoot them from far, audio make them react and they engage. Te me its perfect.

I just need help to make it a pbo....

Plz ?