Sign in to follow this  
Pierrot

Installer which adds and deletes files in .pbo

I want to make auto installer which adds and deletes files in pbo files. Yes, there are several tools which extract pbo files, ie "PBO Tool", "PBO Descryptor" etc. But I want to make one executable file, that is to say "installer" like official patches.

I have released some add-ons and I want to release patches which edit files in pbo. If I could get information about structure of pbo, I would be able to make the installer using VC++. Do you know the structure of pbo file? wink.gif

Why not just replace the PBO files with the edited ones? To keep size low?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Leone @ Feb. 21 2003,17:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lol......I can't see how downloading a whole new pbo would be smaller than a patch!<span id='postcolor'>

That was what I was saying, I asked if he did it for that reason. I don't think it matters too much, because unofficial addons are usually not that big.

I believe the official patches use a "normal" patch function, comparing the old and new file and keeping a record of whats different in the new version. Thats why they need the files to be 100% unmodified for the patch to work.

I ask other server to upload my add-on. This is not my server and I cannot upload files freely. This is why I want to release small file size patch. Because this patch is very small, I can put it on free servers.

Thanks Leone. I read

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....11;st=0

But I could not understand details. Is it difficult to make one exe file like official patch?

Yes kegetys, I guess official pathces check original pbo file, meybe check sum. I would be glad to put this function to my patch, but it must not be easy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pierrot @ Feb. 22 2003,19:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes kegetys, I guess official pathces check original pbo file, meybe check sum. I would be glad to put this function to my patch, but it must not be easy.<span id='postcolor'>

There are programs out there which can make this kind of patchers for you, but I dont know any by name...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Feb. 22 2003,18:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There are programs out there which can make this kind of patchers for you, but I dont know any by name...<span id='postcolor'>

Cool! That's it. If you get information about it, please tell me.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Feb. 23 2003,21:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here is a tiny free patcher:<span id='postcolor'>

Nice! There is another approach!

Thanks! smile.gif