thirith

Where is the !Workshop folder?

Due to my old Arma server going belly-up, I’ve had to get a new server PC. I’m in the process of setting that one up, but I am running into the following problem: I was convinced that Arma would create a folder called !workshop in which there’d be symbolic links to the various mods. However, after installing the game plus workshop mods and running it, the hidden workshop mod folder with the symbolic links doesn’t seem to be there.

is this something that only earlier versions did? Did I manually create that folder as well as the symbolic links and I just forgot about it? Am I getting senile? Any help would be much appreciated!

Are you sure your new PC is set to show hidden folders?

It is. That’s also what I suspected, but nope, it should show hidden folders.

Open the launcher go to any mod and click on browse local files and you'll be in the folder you're looking for

@stanhope: Thanks, that's definitely true - but especially when it comes to setting up a dedicated server, I like having one place where it's clear what mods there are. The !workshop folder is great in that respect, because it gives a symbolic link with the name of the mod. With the server tools I've used, that's been much easier to work with - though perhaps I'm using the wrong tools, or I'm using them the wrong way.

if the !workshop folder can't be found in the arma root directory it doesn't exist.  You can always write up a little script to make something like that yourself, I've done it before to take a launcher html export, parse that, subscribe to the mods, create symlinks and generate a mod line.  If I had written it to a somewhat decent quality of code I'd have published it but it's absolute garbage at the moment, it did work though

Okay, quick update: I bought an SSD that I put in the new server PC, and I then proceeded to move my main Steam partition from an external SSD drive (hooked up via USB port) to that internal SSD. In doing so, I noticed that the external SSD was formatted in exFAT format. No idea whether it's because of this, but once I'd moved the Steam partition (including Arma 3 + Arma 3 Server) and ran the launcher, voilà!, the !workshop folder appeared. I'm now thinking that it was somehow a problem with the external SSD and possibly it being formatted in the wrong format. Who knows - at least it works how! 🙂