Sign in to follow this  

Space shuttle columbia lost

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blake @ Feb. 05 2003,02:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif5--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (foxer @ Feb. 04 2003,16wow.gif5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So we should just dump are trash on other planets ?<span id='postcolor'>

Sun will burn 'em all.<span id='postcolor'>

Sun will burn anything we can dump there, there is enough space in deep space to store anything we can dump there to the end of the universe, Jupiter or Saturn would not care if we dumped all the bad shit we can produce down there (they're Gas Giants you know).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hit_Sqd_Maximus @ Feb. 05 2003,04:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about that power plant in arizona that uses porabila(spelling) mirrors that is made were when the light hits it all the rays go to a certain point, that point is a pipe filled w/ oil and heats the oil up and boils water to spin a turbine. Would that be just as good as a solar plant?<span id='postcolor'>

This plant is also affected by the blocking effect of the atmosphere.

Can't blame them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Japan's space agency says there will won't be any Japanese astronauts on future space shuttle missions until it feels the space trips are safe. Japanese astronaut Soichi Noguchi, shown in this undated NASA (news - web sites) photo, had been scheduled for a March mission, but that misson has been put on hold because of Saturday's Columbia disaster. Seven astronauts were killed when the space shuttle broke apart during re-entry over Texas. (AP Photo/NASA)

capt.1044377341.shuttle_japan_ksc103.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

That or NASA is hiding something from us crazy.giftounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ Feb. 05 2003,15:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">CNN sucks!!<span id='postcolor'>

Yes but CNN does come at you at the speed of light! tounge.gif

OK, maybe not at 18x, still .................................................

Can't the Republicans leave politics out of the shuttle disaster?

Now they're blaming it all on the left wing! tounge.gif

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Feb. 05 2003,21:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can't the Republicans leave politics out of the shuttle disaster?

Now they're blaming it all on the left wing!  tounge.gif

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

Heh... that's a good one! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (5thSFG.CNUTZ @ Feb. 05 2003,13:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Interesting Twist...<span id='postcolor'>

Damn space monkeys. wink.gif

But, lol, has everyone here heard of the amatour video that shows some pieces flying off the shuttle just as it was entering the atmosphere? It was long before the actual disintegration. smile.gif I look for source...

Info1

Info2

Foam was not the Cause NASA says

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ Feb. 06 2003,02:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Space Shuttle Must Be Stopped

I don't agree with it but thought I would throw it out there.<span id='postcolor'>

A counterpoint to that yahoo from two people who have a far better idea than that guy about the risks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Feb. 06 2003,08:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A counterpoint to that yahoo from two people who have a far better idea than that guy about the risks.<span id='postcolor'>

The whole counterpoint boils down to:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Both astronauts say whatever went wrong with Columbia will be found and fixed. Once that's done, both say they'd jump at the opportunity to fly in the shuttle again.<span id='postcolor'>

Space cowboys!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Feb. 06 2003,07:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Feb. 06 2003,08:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A counterpoint to that yahoo from two people who have a far better idea than that guy about the risks.<span id='postcolor'>

The whole counterpoint boils down to:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Both astronauts say whatever went wrong with Columbia will be found and fixed. Once that's done, both say they'd jump at the opportunity to fly in the shuttle again.<span id='postcolor'>

Space cowboys!<span id='postcolor'>

And?

So many people strike me as the sort that likely said to Leif Erickson 'You'll sail off the end of the world, you dopey bastard! Just go pluder the English some more!!' or 'Marco, are you serious?!? You'll never get to China that way!'

It is not cowboy like to be one of the best trained people in your scientific field and be doing a job that puts you on the cutting edge of exploration. If we all just sit back and minimize risks and never do anything dangerous...where will the human race be in 500 years?

wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Feb. 06 2003,09wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And?<span id='postcolor'>

What you really meant to say was: "So?!" smile.gif

So, an alternative vehicle has to be found for the space shuttle. It's proven time and time again to be super risky. The heat tile method has got to go.

Now that NASA's discounting the "foam" damage theory, I don't believe they'll ever find the specific cause for Columbia's crash.

That machine was over 20 years old. I know how I feel getting on board a 20 year old 747 versus a 5 year old one, let alone a fragile ship like the shuttle.

NASA should go back to the drawing board and wipe the slate clean. Safety first!

If you've looked around the news sites, you've bound to have seen the numerous I told you sos by NASA technicians and managers, made years ago, about the whole concept of the shuttle's tile protection design.

They're far more convincing to me than 2 space cadets who would "leap" at the opportunity to go up again.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for exploration. I'm all for explorers willing to possibly (not definitely) risk their lives to make tomorrows discoveries.

What I'm against is someone else making those decisions for them, based on budgets or job related pressures.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Feb. 06 2003,08:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So many people strike me as the sort that likely said to Leif Erickson 'You'll sail off the end of the world, you dopey bastard!  Just go pluder the English some more!!'  or 'Marco, are you serious?!?  You'll never get to China that way!'

It is not cowboy like to be one of the best trained people in your scientific field and be doing a job that puts you on the cutting edge of exploration.  If we all just sit back and minimize risks and never do anything dangerous...where will the human race be in 500 years?<span id='postcolor'>

You're so right. Why is the the personal willingness of some people to take personal risks generally viewed as something bad? Nobody forced those astronauts up there. They knew the risks and still wanted to go, brave people!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Feb. 06 2003,08:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't get me wrong. I'm all for exploration. I'm all for explorers willing to possibly (not definitely) risk their lives to make tomorrows discoveries.<span id='postcolor'>

Right, this is one of those arguments that appears to be supportive on the surface but in reality will kill manned space flight. The "safety" concern will stop any flights by the existing shuttles and non-existent R&D funding will make sure that nothing gets developed for the future, either.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blaegis @ Feb. 06 2003,13:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Right, this is one of those arguments that appears to be supportive on the surface but in reality will kill manned space flight. The "safety" concern will stop any flights by the existing shuttles and non-existent R&D funding will make sure that nothing gets developed for the future, either.<span id='postcolor'>

I don't share your pessimism.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Feb. 06 2003,06:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">cnnsucks.jpg

Definately fake. Just take a hard look at the 'L'.<span id='postcolor'>

18 times the speed of light? haha.

i reckon someone shot it on takeoff.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Feb. 06 2003,00:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">cnnsucks.jpg

Definately fake. Just take a hard look at the 'L'.<span id='postcolor'>

I'm looking hard and I can't see anything wrong with the word light... crazy.gif

EDIT: Take a look at the end of "NEARLY"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Feb. 06 2003,12:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif8--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blaegis @ Feb. 06 2003,13wow.gif8)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Right, this is one of those arguments that appears to be supportive on the surface but in reality will kill manned space flight. The "safety" concern will stop any flights by the existing shuttles and non-existent R&D funding will make sure that nothing gets developed for the future, either.<span id='postcolor'>

I don't share your pessimism.<span id='postcolor'>

Then where is the X-33? The X-38 CRV?

That's right... cancelled due to mismanagement and budget cuts.

I will agree with you that the tiles on the shuttle may not be the most elegant of solutions, but it has worked 111 of 113 times. And in one of the accidents, the heat shield had nothing to do with the loss of the vehicle. And at this point, we still dont know the exact cause of the Columbia accident. The Shuttles were designed for 100 flights into space. They are basically rebuilt every time they fly, and I doubt there is a single piece of machinery in the world that is given as much care, attention, and preparation before it's used as the Shuttle. All the talk of the shuttle being a 'death trap' and 'unsuitable' is, IMNSHO, knee jerk reaction to the accident.

BTW, calling two Astronauts who have actually flown the shuttle 'space cadets' is rather insulting. These are people who have been there and done it, they deserve a little respect, not derision.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Feb. 06 2003,13:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I doubt there is a single piece of machinery in the world that is given as much care, attention, and preparation before it's used as the Shuttle<span id='postcolor'>

Formula 1 cars maybe?

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Feb. 06 2003,20:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All the talk of the shuttle being a 'death trap' and 'unsuitable'  is, IMNSHO, knee jerk reaction to the accident.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, these guys are entitled to their opinion, too.

I based my reaction on other articles, including one similar to the above but from 1994 findings, that made the news a few days ago.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW, calling two Astronauts who have actually flown the shuttle 'space cadets' is rather insulting.  These are people who have been there and done it, they deserve a little respect, not derision.<span id='postcolor'>

I did not deride what they've done. I commented on:

1) Their gung-ho remarks to jump onto a Shuttle (practically tomorrow morning).

2) The use of that article to show professional opinions you considered a counterpoint.