gc8

Best RTS camera

Hi

I'm working on some RTS stuff and I have a question.

what is the best RTS camera script for arma3? It doesn't have to have lot of features, just basic camera movement would be ok. (But of course some extra features are ok)

thx!

No RTS lovers here? 😄

@Melody_Mike thx. isn't that full RTS rather than camera alone though?

It's a scripted mission. Tried it a while ago. Works surprisingly well, except that your units will no longer respond to "commands" (waypoints) once they enter combat mode. So it needs an AI mod, at very least.

I am not sure if the camera is simply default Zeus, but it certainly could use some adjustment.

As you know, games such as Warcraft 3 and later include a tilting (backward "pitch") effect when zooming in that keeps units height-wise within the players field of view. And other tricks. You certainly have your work cut out for you! 

• Like 1

Camera alone is what I'm looking for now 🙂

Edit: it's ok to have extra features too but not full RTS

Edited by gc8
  • Like 1

Still looking for the camera script. I found some old arma2 scripts but they didn't work in arma3 when I run them. I just need camera for the high command but I don't know if this is even possible, anyone knows?

Hey bub. I am a little bit confused on your question.

Doesn't the high command module only use the regular first and third person (and map) view? Are you looking for a reference to a BI script or are you making your own?

1 hour ago, Melody_Mike said:

Doesn't the high command module only use the regular first and third person (and map) view? Are you looking for a reference to a BI script or are you making your own?

yes with default HC you only have player camera and the map. I would like to have a camera that allows you to fly around , like in typical RTS and then issue orders to your groups

OK, thanks.

It's happened 2x already that I said "this will be complicated" and I was proven wrong. But I am pretty certain there's a lot of work in making a proper 3D camera (for RTS gameplay). A good camera system gives a good view/perspective no matter how it's moved. It has to restrict the player to prevent performance problems, getting stuck on geometry, motion sickness, and other things. Everyone who played games in the 2000's knows how it can go wrong. I understand that you don't want to reinvent the wheel. However, since we haven't found an in-game camera function, I think it will have to be coded. 

You could use this script for inspiration: https://forum.unity.com/threads/rts-camera-script.72045/

For the camera itself you can just use the Zeus camera. You'll still have to make the UI yourself but in terms of movement it does everything you need.

12 minutes ago, target_practice said:

For the camera itself you can just use the Zeus camera. You'll still have to make the UI yourself but in terms of movement it does everything you need.

But does work with High command ?

i tried zeus earlier but didn't get HC to work immediately. maybe it needs special setup?

No, don't use zeus itself, just the camera.

If you do that, I see no reason why it wouldn't work with HC, as all it does it changes the player's viewpoint in the same way that getting into a vehicle or using a turret does.

Just now, target_practice said:

No, don't use zeus itself, just the camera.

If you do that, I see no reason why it wouldn't work with HC, as all it does it changes the player's viewpoint in the same way that getting into a vehicle or using a turret does.

interesting. how do I get started using the camera alone?

'camCreate' command with the 'camcurator' camera type.

Here's an example of where I've implemented it myself (ignore the undefined variables, this is a snippet from a larger function):

_commandCamera = "camcurator" camCreate (_target modelToWorld [0,0,5]);
_commandCamera cameraEffect ["internal","back"];

//Define parameters for the curator camera
_commandCamera camCommand "maxPitch 40"; //Maximum pitch of the camera, in degrees, relative to the horizontal plane
_commandCamera camCommand "minPitch -89"; //Minimum pitch
/*_commandCamera camCommand "speedDefault 0.1";
_commandCamera camCommand "speedMax 2";*/
_commandCamera camCommand "ceilingHeight 500"; //Maximum height of camera above terrain or sea level
_commandCamera camCommand "atl on"; //Determines whether camera height (and ceiling) is adjusted relative to terrain (on) or sea level (off)
_commandCamera camCommand "surfaceSpeed on"; //Whether camera speed is decreased (on) or increased (off) by proximity to terrain

ok thx. I tried that using player as _target but the HC doesn't show up when the curator camera is created. 

Sorry, I forgot to mention you need to execute the command "cameraEffectEnableHUD true" to get many UI elements to display when using a camera.

I wrote this code ages ago and the project its part of is on a bit of a hiatus, so I don't quite remember how the whole thing works. 😉

hmm still no HC bar with cameraEffectEnableHUD 

I'm afraid I'm not sure then 😕.

All I know is that I was able to implement a lot of stuff while using the camera, so It's certainly possible.

For the reason above, I can't really help directly right now, so you'll just have to try some stuff until you get it working (i'd suggest using the BIKI page for the above command as a starting point).

If you still haven't worked out how to do it when I get back to working on my project (and therefore remind myself on how to do everything) I'll update this thread.

• Thanks 1

Just now, target_practice said:

I'm afraid I'm not sure then 😕.

All I know is that I was able to implement a lot of stuff while using the camera, so It's certainly possible.

For the reason above, I can't really help directly right now, so you'll just have to try some stuff until you get it working (i'd suggest using the BIKI page for the above command as a starting point).

If you still haven't worked out how to do it when I get back to working on the project (and therefore remind myself on how to do everything) I'll update this thread.

thx for your help! The only thing I get displaying is some gui using cutRsc. That stays, HC doesn't

Have to say, I can get a lot of GUIs working with cameras but not the HC GUI

Now that I think about it, I believe you may have to manually activate the associated UI and their scripts to get it working in a camera.

11 hours ago, target_practice said:

Now that I think about it, I believe you may have to manually activate the associated UI and their scripts to get it working in a camera.

i tried the hcShowBar command (from console) to bring up the HC bar but nothing happens

I learned that if I create a camera using "camera" as the argument then the HC GUI shows up with the camera, but if I use "camcurator" then the HC just wont show up for some reason...