Sign in to follow this  
OmniMax

Fire damn ai, fire!

Well, after fixing my game thanks to AvonLady (ding... Avon Calling!wink.gif I started messing with the BMPs and Light Combat Vehicles (Infantry transport and light combat stuffies) well, I hopped in my M2A2 as commander, right? I put a BMP 2 with no ammo about 50 meters away...

2, Gunner, target BMP.

2, Gunner fire...

2, gunner engage at will...

2, gunner FIRE!!!!!!

I jump out of the M2A2 and the gunner then fires the TOW, as if I was behind in sync. Does this have something to do with refresh rates or perhaps it was just a little error and I should restart? I am going to try and see\replecate\fix the error in hopes that I can eliminate some unsuspecting T-80s and M1A1s when they're not looking.

feedback helps. lots.

I tried searching Avon's wonderful FAQ for 'AI doesn't' and really didn't come up with anything. So I am going to go see if this happens with other vehicles.

Got it working. It appears that commanding them to target using the command menu doesn't work too well, you have to right click em. then left click. perhaps if I was an infantry, I wonder how would it would work?

Okay, if you're an infantry, they'll automaticly engage enemies. If you're anything other than commander it seems they will attack without your command, yet if you're commander you have to tell them to actually target something by right clicking it then telling them to fire by left clicking? (like when you do exclusively for a helicopter)

Interesting.

Also, what is the difference between the AH-1 Cobra and AH-64 Apache? While conducting my test, I missed all the TOW shots execpt 1 using a AH-64. Interesting.

About the tank gunner not firing without your command, well thats the way he is, you are his commander, and he will wait for your order, although if you want him to start killing lots of infantry(using machine gun) tell him to engage at will and then tell him to target a soldier. He will kill that one soldier and then he will start eliminating any other soldier he sees. It works really well because the AI can usually see enemies better than you can. Too bad that little trick dosnt work on tanks.

About the Apache and cobra accuracy thing, make sure your not moving faster than 100mph and that your nose is pointing at the target. This increases your accuracy ten-fold.

Well, some more interesting things about A.I.

I told him to target an Hind-D and with his main gun he kept bursting at it (full skill level, major) and he couldn't shoot it down. I went in as gunner and leaded the target with full auto. No more heilcopter. Interesting how a M2A2 can take out a helicopter. Perhaps if he was using tank hunting tactics (hiding behind trees, leveling right above the tree line, firing a AT6 missile, targeting the next tank, firing, next, fire, hide behind the trees and fly to a different place to attack)

Also, have you ever tried firing a rocket at a helo? I tried using manual fire TOWs and they sometimes deflect from the energy the rotorblades are producing, and it's being pushed 99% of the time out of the way. Impressive physics, I had never noticed this before. Makes realistic and heli-hunting with a RPG-7 a little difficult now, don't it? smile.gif

I find that aiming from the side (and not having the heli under you) for the cockpit will not cause a rotor deflection and make impressive fireworks, if you have a AT launcher (sometimes takes a couple RPG shots, and AA shots)

You can't use the TOW in OFP to target a helicopter, it will not lock on. And it also doesn't get deflected by the rotor wash, it changes direction because you can guide it using the mouse in the absence of a target lock (just like the Carl Gustav).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OmniMax @ Jan. 29 2003,00:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I told him to target an Hind-D and with his main gun he kept bursting at it (full skill level, major) and he couldn't shoot it down. I went in as gunner and leaded the target with full auto. No more heilcopter.<span id='postcolor'>

If you put the AI skill to NooB setting he will shoot (Full Auto) Until :

1. he runs out of ammo

2. the target is out of range

3. the target is destroyed

Full Skill tend to save there ammo

Noob Skill Waste it (like Bullets grow on trees tounge.gif )