Sign in to follow this  
Sertica

Huron Not Really VTOL?

Using the AFM I find it near impossible land or drop containers in tight spots because any descent rate greater than about 2m/s will induce VRS.  The odds of pulling off a spot landing without going over that for an instant are very slim, especially with the horrid keyboard throttle control.  All other helis allow ~5m/s.  I have yet to find an example of anyone else being able to do it.  So dropping containers only works if I drag-slam them horizontally. 

Few of helicopter types can take off with heavy load AND their fuel tanks filled up. In fact, there are many environmental conditions that negatively affect a helicopter performance.  Happy to see, BI have reworked their helos, (well at least one 😉) to portray some of the limitations in-game. But seriously, I don't think AFM is THAT flying mode you should use if lacking of some flying sim controllers. If you still insist, I would suggest to burn out some fuel and order your copilot to bailout in order to gain some power margin before trying the maneouver  😉
AFM takes into account dynamically the weight of passangers, weapon and fuel as well as altitude you are flying at. Allowable descent rate of 2m/s isn't that bad. IRL Mi-17-1V has smth like 3.5 m/s limitation, if I recall what I read in its manual correctly.

• Like 1

Interesting find, although disappointing for the OP. Yes, maybe the combination of slingloading + AFM + keyboard is just a little too much. I fly with the HOTAS and then it's fine. And don't forget Arma is always 'quirky'; being lenient in some mechanics and harsh in others. You can do some pretty crazy stuff with slingloads which would tear the helo and/or the load apart in real life xD

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 3:34 PM, NightIntruder said:

Allowable descent rate of 2m/s isn't that bad. IRL Mi-17-1V has smth like 3.5 m/s limitation, if I recall what I read in its manual correctly.

Main problem is when I nudge-tilt to line up vertically with helipad it drops suddenly from like 0-3 and it is difficult to have eyes glued to the gauge while watching where I am going.

On 10/19/2020 at 10:06 AM, joostsidy said:

You can do some pretty crazy stuff with slingloads which would tear the helo and/or the load apart in real life xD

I've had more the opposite experience with physics glitches.  I can be flying along smoothly and suddenly the rope breaks or the heli suddenly flips upside down for no apparent reason or the cargo bounces up and destroys it.  Not sure whether this is a bug or net desync.  The Stomper is particularly prone to breaking off.

1 hour ago, Sertica said:

Main problem is when I nudge-tilt to line up vertically with helipad it drops suddenly from like 0-3 and it is difficult to have eyes glued to the gauge while watching where I am going.

I've had more the opposite experience with physics glitches.  I can be flying along smoothly and suddenly the rope breaks or the heli suddenly flips upside down for no apparent reason or the cargo bounces up and destroys it.  Not sure whether this is a bug or net desync.  The Stomper is particularly prone to breaking off.

Well, IRL helicopter works hard the most when one's hovering. While slingloading cargo you might find yourself in even worst situation, as most likely you are hover high in conditions known as HOGE (hover out of ground effect). With heavy cargo one can easily loose all the power margin they had at takeoff, for instance due to higher altitude (mountains) the cargo drop was commenced or increase in ambient temperature that affects engines performance. I am not sure default BI helicopters' AFMs take into account a high ambient temperature, but things like HIGE/HOGE, Effective Translation Lift phenomenon or pressure altitude are implemented in AFM. 
As for rope breaking, I found it likely to happen when flying faster than 150kph while slingloading a cargo. But, that's something I haven't revised for a long time so it could have changed. Obviously, if the cargo hit ground, a structure or tree, you may loose it as well, and it's not really something noticeable in-game (btw, it should have been changed long time ago!).
Heli flipping upside down while slingloading a cargo is known issue connected with walkable deck present in a helo addon. On top of that, there're addon bugs and net desynch, as you mentioned. Yea, flying helo in AFM isn't something easy, especially for those who were flying in standard FM for a long time (fixed bad habits are hardest to root out).

AFM pretty much requires analog controls, and on all four axes at that. Stick, collective and pedals are operated in a very smooth, fine manner in real helicopters, something you cannot replicate on the keyboard. A HOTAS is best, but even a gamepad would help, people fly RC helicopters using radios with similar arrangements (albeit with collective axis non-centering). Analog control is a must in this case.