Sign in to follow this  
Major Fubar

Cd-rw problems

Not strictly OFP related, but I'm hoping my forum buddies can help me out.

I just bought a SONY 52x24x52 CD-RW, and I am having big problems.

When I first installed it, I also installed an extra old 10gb HDD at the same time. On IDE channel 0 I had my 60gb HDD as primary and my DVD-ROM as slave. On IDE channel 1 I had my old 10gb HDD as primary and CD-RW as slave.

The apps I installed (Nero burning ROM and Easy CD Creator) wouldn't recognise the CD-RW as a write device. My system could read discs from it, but nothing wants to write to it.

I did an install of Win2000 thinking 98 might be the problem but still no joy. A friend suggested that the old HDD might be screwing things up so I removed it and set the CD-RW to IDE channel 1 primary device.

I did a total system reinstall back to Win 98, but the apps still wont write to the CD-RW, or even recognise it as a write device.

Any ideas? Here's my system specs if it helps: P4 1.8, Asus P4T-E mobo, 256mb PC800 RAM, IBM 60gb HDD, Sony 16x DVD-ROM, Ti4600 VGA card, SB live sound card, Netgear LAN card, and the problem device itself: Sony 52x24x52 CD-RW (CRX220E1).

Does your CD burning software support that particular drive in the version that you have? If you haven't updated it in a while, chances are that it doesn't. Roxio (EZ CD Creator) just put out an update to recognize new CD and DVD burners a few days ago, for instance.

My guess is that u need to get the latest version of NERO. When I got my 40x 12x 48 Aopen, neither my Adaptec Easy Cd Creator or Nero recognised it as a burner. When I installed new version, worked like a charm tounge.gif

This topic does not seem to be related to OFP. Moving - guess where?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ Jan. 28 2003,09:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This topic does not seem to be related to OFP. Moving - guess where?<span id='postcolor'>

Hawaii?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Llauma @ Jan. 28 2003,10:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif2--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ Jan. 28 2003,09wow.gif2)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This topic does not seem to be related to OFP. Moving - guess where?<span id='postcolor'>

Hawaii?<span id='postcolor'>

LOL!

For Mr. Major Fubar's sake, I hope not. He would have to get a transformer and a plug adapter for his UK based PC. tounge.gif

tounge.gif  LMAO. Funny funny funny. Seriously I don't have clue what to do to help Fubar. How about try what the other poster suggested and try newer Nero? Or I'll meet you and personally lend my assistance in that 50th U.S. state. LOL.  tounge.gif

If Fubar pays for my trip I'll come and help him myself. "Now lets see I think the problem is........oops gotta go Fubar the surfs up and those Island babes won't wait for me to feel their ripe cocanuts all day!"

Fubar: Based on your new Avatar of the devil & penguin you would't happen to be running Lynux on that system would you? LOL.

Thanks for your replies.

The Nero was a fairly recent version (5.5), but that may be the problem. I will look into updated software.

Avon, no, I double checked the jumpers. And UK? What the? I come from the land downunder! tounge.gif

australia.gif

Suma, I thought this would be considered troubleshooting by definition, but offtopic is fine. Now get back to work on OFP2 and stop moderating the forums! tounge.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ Jan. 28 2003,14:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And UK? What the? I come from the land downunder!  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well, I was referring to your ancestors, then. tounge.gif

on an entirely unrelated note, is that the Linux penguin that Satan has bent over in your, ahem, avatar? lol

I had the same problem with my DVD-RW, because i putted an old 20gb HD, and it was screwing things up, so i removed it and things were working fine smile.gif

Due to excessive spam from [you know who you are] this topic is [use your imagination]

Fubar: I believe the 52x-recorders are so new that they ain't supported by unpatched recording-software. Look for a patch at roxio.com or at nero or try posting at sony's forum (wherever that might be) or PM me smile.gif