So I've been toying around with say3D today and I cannot seem to get it to work.  There's a couple of things I want say3D to do.  One thing I would like to have is voiced characters and another thing I wanted was to have a helicopter pass above the protagonists while playing music.  The issue I'm having is when I follow other people's scripts and tutorials they say that you can control the volume, pitch and max hearing distance, but I can't seem to get the volume audibly loud enough nor can I get the distance to change either.  The volume from 1 to about 5 changes dramatically although still too quiet and it doesn't seem to go above that and I only seem to be able to get a max distance of 50 meters.  I'm probably doing something wrong, but I don't know what.  

I have this in my description.ext file

class CfgSounds
{
 sounds[] = {};
 class break
 {
  name = "break";
  sound[] = {"\sounds\break.ogg", 30, 1, 350};
  titles[] = {0,""};
 };
};

So apparently that's supposed to set the volume +30 decibels and max hearing distance of 350 meters, but that is not the case.  In the the helicopter's init I have 

helicopter1 say3D "break"

I want to add that for a few hours I thought that no music was playing, but when I turned off the helicopter engine I faintly heard it playing.  Any advice?  

Thanks in advance.  

Okay this is a little embarrassing because about 20 minutes after posting this I found the solution to my problem by adding

helicopter1 say3D ["break", 3000, 1];

to the init of the helicopter, but now I am struck with another problem and I think this is either due to either the arma 3 engine or the mod of the helicopter I'm using.  The song speed is increased when the heli is behind you and it slows down when you're behind it.  Anyway to fix this or am I screwed here? 

Why use sound and not music? In the description.txt :

class CfgMusic
{
	tracks[] = {};
	class MyIntro
	{
		// display name
		name	= "My intro music";

// filename, volume, pitch
		sound[]	= { "\music\filename.ogg", db + 10, 1.0 };
	};
	class Ludwig9
	{
		name	= "Ludwig Van Beethoven's Ninth Symphony";
		sound[]	= { "\music\ludwig9.ogg", db + 10, 1.0 };
	};
};

and then on a trigger go to the far end of the menu and in one of the tabs you will find a Music section. There you will be able to find the music. With sounds I recall having a similar issue back in the day so I had switched to music.

• Like 1

@JohnKalo Could use music, but this is just supposed to be kind of like those atmospheric helicopters passing by blasting music like they did in 'nam.  I guess I could lower the distance heard a bit so the helicopter doesn't sound like it's travelling through time.  say3D's been giving me lot's of trouble in general, I will try to use it sparingly. 

• Like 1

Audacity can be used to play with the sound. Lower at first and then higher. So as to simulate a say3d. And the sound can activate with:

NameOfChopper distance NameOfPlayer < NumberOfMeters

as a condition. In Arma editing simple things many times do not work so you have to use anything effective that you can think of. While having optimization and quality gameplay in mind.