Sign in to follow this  
David Shipley

Most realistic difficulty setting?

I usually place the difficulty levels in OFP at maximum; yeah, I died a lot, at first, but it made me learn important things to keep alive longer now.

"Hit the dirt! Grab some real estate!"

To stay on the topic at hand -- I was wondering what difficulty level in OFP is the most 'realistic.' I know difficulty levels effect accuracy levels, but what else? Does anyone know what else it changes?

When you realize that most soldiers are not crack Ranger units, and that they might miss and make mistakes more than the game shows, what difficulty setting do you think most realisticly potrays them - lowest, middle or highest?

Are you referring to a unit's SKILL setting in a mission's SQM file as well? Or just to enabling SUPER AI?

the only things i hold is Clock and tracers, all the rest is disabled. Imho, in this way, i have the most realistic diff. settings...

About Supr IA, i've read somewhere that this option boost AI soldier to the max at everything (camo, accuracy, etc...) not realistic (or maybe for who want play Rambo movie... in the VC side! wink.gif )

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (David Shipley @ Jan. 17 2003,19:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So, leave on Veteran, but turn off Super AI to achieve more realism?<span id='postcolor'>

It's a personnal choice, but, imho, turn Super AI On only if u want Top Notch Crack opposition (the AI will be boosted at maximum capacities, like a "Universal Soldier")

For me Reticule and Anti tank Auto Guidage must be disabled if u want as real as possible sensation with OFP, but, i repeat, it's a personnal choice, so try different config and adjust to fit to ur playing style...

For me, the best settings are these u like to play with

For me, disabling all on screen items, such as clock, subtitles, crosshair made the game seem the most realistic. The less on screen the more you feel like your there, so is there anyway to turn off the soldiers icons on the bottom when you have command or the weapon/ammo count when you shoot your gun?

After playing so long I noticed that even super AI doesnt help them cause by now we all now about the AI flaws.But turning off crosshair is great, I must admit that. But what would make it even more realistic is breathing movements after running! Cause I am kind of anoyed about the fact that I rarely use vehicules (law victims) and do everything on foot (timezoom *4). And even after running more than Speedz Gonzalez I shoot like a sharpshooter.

Hi all

For me the reality begins when you are in command and as you go up command ladder the realism increases. That is why I am so interested in playing with Command Engine.

I learned while playing the first version of Sainte Marie Hill how important it is to not get involved in a fire fight when you are an officer. Your a high value target if your draw attention to your self in battle by shooting your top of the AI target list. They must have included rank as a target selection factor in the AI target priority.

Your also more use to your squad choosing targets for them than doing a Rambo and getting your self killed. Add to that your job as Artilery and Mortar Fire Control Officer and you see why officers have hand guns for self protection and not Sniper rifles.

And yet when attacking Sainte Marie Hill many times as my company is failing at the top of the hill when the sweet scent of victory is in their nostrels and they start to turn and run; strange as it may seem if I lead my squad in a last assault the rest of the platoons will follow us up the hill. Bear in mind that we at CoC did not script this into the AI it is inherent in the OFP AI.

I think it is amazing that by sheer chance the AI will take the ralying of a section to attack as signal for the other fleeing troops to about turn and charge up the hill again.

Which is great untill some DICKHEAD Bradley Gunner / Machine Gunner /apache gunner shoots up that nearby enemy MG nest, squad, Shilka and Blue on Blue's Me.

But that is real too!

Kind regards Walker

Ever send your soldier on a suicide mission. I did often do so to distract the enemy, and strangely your soldier follows your order like a good educated Naziyouth.

This is no criticism but sometimes your soldiers obey orders that are just silly. Maybe in a few years we will have games where the AI is emotional

I take command of a squad rarely. I am just a grunt. smile.gif On one such ocaision I was in the Ia Trang vally at night with a Navy Seal team sent in to take a river crossing heavily guarded by a machine gun, mortors,and a squad of troops soon backed up by manny more troops. Its going to be tough considering we go no night equipment and the VC/NVA are heavily dug in. I make the "brilliant" Patten/Robert E. Lee type move [i'm being sarcastic] and tell my team to advance even though machine gun and mortor fire are so think you could eat it. I thought that I could have my team lunge enough to take out that heavy machine gun, advance enough to be out of mortor range, and dig in enough to pick off the enemy who hopefully would quicky retreat. My results: My men were just cut to pieces by all that shrapnal and machinegun fire. sad.gif I releqiush command and take full responsabilty for the event that unfoled at my direction sir. tounge.gif

When playing co-op's I like to disable crosshairs and 3rd person view but keep the friendly tag and map location icons. However, when I played on public server's they were either normal cadet or they would shut everything off which just led to friendly fire and confusion, which leads to suckiness, which leads to me never playing on public servers again sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RMATICH @ Jan. 19 2003,09:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I make the "brilliant" Patten/Robert E. Lee type move<span id='postcolor'>

For a moment, I thought there was a SURRENDER action command. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Jan. 18 2003,00:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ever send your soldier on a suicide mission. I did often do so to distract the enemy, and strangely your soldier follows your order like a good educated Naziyouth.

This is no criticism but sometimes your soldiers obey orders that are just silly. Maybe in a few years we will have games where the AI is emotional<span id='postcolor'>

A SOLDIER MUST NOT DOUBT HIS LEADERS, JUST DO WHAT THE FUCK WE TELL YOU TO DO, YOUNG MAN!

Aaaaah, the army... gotta love it...

The problem is the conflict between realism and playability. In SP i normally play on veteran with everything disabled. In MP i'd like to have it the same way, but without working ingame voicecom it's really hard for a commander to give orders. Without the yellow boxes no one knows where to go. But i rather live with the difficulties and try to communicate better than to turn that annoying "DESTROY ENEMY BASE (688m)" "banner" back on.

For now i have crosshair, auto-guide at, HUD, enemy tag, autospot, tracers and clock indicator disabled in cadet mode. My players start to bitch when i turn off extra-armor, but they did so when i disabled the other features one after the other too, so i guess in a short time everything will be turned off. ATM only armor, map and 3rd person are turned on. I don't mind map that much, i guess it simulates the communication the soldiers would have and the players don't have, but i'd like to turn off armor and 3rd person and turn on super-ai.

I use the super-ai mode and veteran difficulty. I haven´t yet have the guts to turn off the crosshair, I have explained this to myself by the fact that with a modern assault rifle you can hit a target by firing from the hip. And in real life you have pretty good idea of the direction your gun is pointing which is not the case (yet) in pc games because of the not so 3d screens. I was pretty complicated there, hope you know what I mean. I play airsoft and that learns you to fire accurately from difficult positions, though aeg and real gun are not necessarily so comparable.

And hey Albert Schweizer, do you remember when you posted a link to voice command program for OFP few months ago?

I tried to search that one, but I didn´t find it. If any of you recalls, I would appreciate the link (for those runtime libraries too)

It is posible to hit targets at close range without crosshair with a little practice!

You do not really need it....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (expendable @ Feb. 17 2003,19:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And hey Albert Schweizer, do you remember when you posted a link to voice command program for OFP few months ago?

I tried to search that one, but I didn´t find it. If any of you recalls, I would appreciate the link (for those runtime libraries too)<span id='postcolor'>

You mean Shoot?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spy17 @ Feb. 18 2003,12:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It is posible to hit targets at close range without crosshair with a little practice!

You do not really need it....<span id='postcolor'>

yea but its stil just guessing where the center of the screen is, i use crosshairs at teh rangers crosshairs are useful you could shoot from the hip.

I personally prefer everything off...crosshairs, tags, 3rd person, etc...all except compas. It makes the game much more of a challenge. Our dedicated server also runs under these settings so if anyone is looking for a slightly different gameplay style, pick up the small addon pack at digitalgrenade.com and stop in. We usually start playing at around 8pm central.