Sign in to follow this  
Akira

Are you subconciously biased?

Bias

I took the Arab-Muslim bias test. This is my result.

"Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Other peoples."

Meaning I am subconciously baised against Arab Muslims sad.gif. I wonder if it corrected for my sleepiness and not paying attention and my boss interrupting me in the middle.

I got

"Applet loaded"

and nothing happened for 5 minutes so I closed it tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Other peoples<span id='postcolor'>

Interesting... smile.gif

Well look at me, hm... Me got a slight auto preference for arab's. biggrin.gif Euh... Is that good? biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Other peoples<span id='postcolor'>

Is it because I met almost no arab people or I just watch TV news too much ?  confused.gif

That test is BS- it tests your fingers, not your brain. That being said, I got impatient and only made it halfway through the test.

For those of you who haven't hit the link yet, the test is a split-second word association test. First, they have you go through a list of names that are either Arab or "Other-Ethnicity". Then you go through a list of words that either have good or bad connotations (glorious, agony, etc.). Then they alternate sides and combinations of "Arab and Good", or "Arab and Bad", where you have a list of names ad words, with one key being used for both a name and a word category. I guess it supposedly registers subconscious feelings, but I was too busy trying to get the right answer quickly to notice. I give this testing system absolutely no credence whatsoever

I would agree with Tex that it does not look too reliable; rather alertness and 'arab-sounding words' test. On the other hand I dont think I have ever agreed on any test system to actually test what is intended to 100%, rather to a maximum of maybe 70% in the best cases I recon.. But I'm not to well into this kind of test - it might be more accurate than it seems too.

I got:

"Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Arab Muslims"

btw, I stopped to check out the word 'agony' in a english-swedish dictionary.

EDIT: Here

Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Other peoples

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Interpretation Percent of Total

Respondents

Strong automatic preference for Arab Muslims 7%

Moderate automatic preference for Arab Muslims 6%

Slight automatic preference for Arab Muslims 9%

Little to no automatic preference 25%

Slight automatic preference for Other peoples 21%

Moderate automatic preference for Other peoples 12%

Strong automatic preference for Other peoples 20%<span id='postcolor'>

The test works by timing how fast and good your responses are when Arabs and Good, then Arabs and Bad are on the same side. And Vice versa for Other peoples. It is a bad test because by the end of the testing they group Arabs with Bad, once you are very comfortable with the testing method and all names used. That my friends is a badly designed test. wink.gif

Ifcourse I was fastest to distinguish when Arabs were grouped with Bad, that was the last set of tests and I got faster at recognizing the given names. Isn't that how it always goes...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Jan. 09 2003,00:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I give this testing system absolutely no credence whatsoever<span id='postcolor'>

I am also very sceptical. Association of words is not given too much credibility in modern psychology. The brain consists of many separate neural networks. Their basic function is pattern matching. Due to the events in recent years you will find very often in media the word "arab" and "terrorist" together. Your brain will after you given it that input make that pattern association. That doesn't however mean that you connect a person of Arab origin to a terrorist. Those concepts are far more complex then just words.

Associating pictures is equally pointless. To make a proper test you must try associations that use different neural paths in the brain. The more of them you use the better.

For instance associating words and pictures is far better then associating just words or just pictures.

Also, this hidden bias, does nto mean you will have a logical bias. Even if you by instinct now associate Arab with bad, in real life you make a logical decision about the situation, and simply make a choice on more than instinct.

All this testing does reveal a hidden bias in my opinion, but that is all. A hidden bias has little to do with your decisions in life. May slow you down.

EDIT: I think this is a "fair" test, as I just noticed the order of the tests is random... good. They might under adjust for people like me who speed up a lot continuasly through one test.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Other peoples<span id='postcolor'>

I'm pretty sceptical as well.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Your data suggest a slight automatic association between White and weapons<span id='postcolor'>

I have too much time on my hands. sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Gay people<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, this test is screwed up.

It doesn't tell you what you're biased for/against, it trains your fingers to say "good" or "bad" then tries to fool them.

:rolleyes:

That whole test was stupid, I could have just told them I was biased and made it a lot simpler.  Who likes fat people anyway

Tolerance.org are such homos, do they really expect people to be completely free of bias and not make judgements on the sorts of things they're testing?