ak_niaazi

NOOB HELP REQUIRED REGARDING ARMA III MISSIONS

Hi, 

Hello everyone

I am completely new to this forum but have been playing games since my childhood (20, now). Love gaming. 

ARMA III is one of my favorite games to this date and I have played the single player campaign several times. The reason, why I joined this forum finally today is, I have been watching a lot of videos regarding ARMA III missions on YouTube from time to time and finally took this step to ask it out here because I didn't know where to begin/start actually. 

I have seen a lot of videos on YouTube where different gamers have uploaded missions apart from the actual gameplay of ARMA III like missions that I have not played in the single player campaign. I am listing some of them below here: 

I have finished ARMA III several times since it launched and I have never ever seen such missions. My question is, where do these missions come from? Are these mods or what? Through some of my search, I have got some information that there are mods for ARMA III and then there are also custom made missions and campaigns designed by several teams or individuals. So, I want to ask how can I play these missions? & How can I design these two? And like, are these missions playable too or just designed for YouTube? 

Please, somebody walk me through this complexion with an easy elaborative detail, separating all the topics like the difference between mods, custom made missions and campaigns so it gets cleared in my head. 

I WILL BE REALLY THANKFUL TO YOU ALL!! 

• Like 1

Welcome aboard to the forums, ak_niaazi,

And the answer is, missions are made from the Editor by some mission creator, which you can find on right button of the main menu, and you can download/upload custom missions.

By the way, I don't know about those multiplayer servers though, those're mostly made only for its server.

19 minutes ago, ak_niaazi said:

the difference between mods, custom made missions and campaigns

• MODs add assets (such as vehicles, units and/or weapons) and functions (such as custom system and/or action) to the game
  • Missions are made from assets and functions either from vanilla data and MODs
  • Campaigns are bundles of missions

You can dive into the sea of user-made contents here!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ak_niaazi said:

I have finished ARMA III several times since it launched

Welcome to Bis forums!

This should be an arma meme:

"One doesn't simply finish Arma" 😁

Well if you "finished" Arma3 then that means you played all the SP scenarios, trials, tutorials, campaigns, and maybe

the included MP missions which you can only play by hosting your own server.

The true game from what im reading is in the editor where you can create your own scenarios, campaigns among other things.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, POLPOX said:

Welcome aboard to the forums, ak_niaazi,

And the answer is, missions are made from the Editor by some mission creator, which you can find on right button of the main menu, and you can download/upload custom missions.

By the way, I don't know about those multiplayer servers though, those're mostly made only for its server.

• MODs add assets (such as vehicles, units and/or weapons) and functions (such as custom system and/or action) to the game
  • Missions are made from assets and functions either from vanilla data and MODs
  • Campaigns are bundles of missions

You can dive into the sea of user-made contents here!

Thanks for replying brother, you have almost cleared it for me. The next thing I want to ask is, can we download and play these campaigns and single missions in the same ARMA III?

1 hour ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Welcome to Bis forums!

This should be an arma meme:

"One doesn't simply finish Arma" 😁

Well if you "finished" Arma3 then that means you played all the SP scenarios, trials, tutorials, campaigns, and maybe

the included MP missions which you can only play by hosting your own server.

The true game from what im reading is in the editor where you can create your own scenarios, campaigns among other things.

Hahaha right, this meme fits right in because there is so much to do with this game now. What I meant by finishing was that I have played only the company designed missions, which we can also refer to as 'stock' campaign missions.

5 hours ago, ak_niaazi said:

What I meant by finishing was that I have played only the company designed missions, which we can also refer to as 'stock' campaign missions.

What i thought, nice job dude, you've done more then i in that respects, only things i've done in terms of stock missions, was all the tutorials, editor included,

about half of the sp scenarios, some MP missions, some trials, vr trials almost complete, but been mostly in the editor since Alpha, among other things.

As for your previous question to POLPOX:

5 hours ago, ak_niaazi said:

can we download and play these campaigns and single missions in the same ARMA III?

Yes! Unless specified otherwise on the workshop page what game mode the mission is for as in sp, coop, or mp only.

So you have to review the page for each mission, also keep in mind if they require mods then you will need those mods too.

For missions basically all you do is click on the subscribe button on the mission your interested in, the mission will download, once its downloaded then you go to the specified area for the mission

so if its a SP mission you subbed too, then you go to scenarios tab on the menu and choose it there, the mission will finish its installation as soon as you start the mission.

If you chose a mission that can be played in MP you can still play it in SP but for that you will need to go to MP, then host your own server, give it a name, and password put 1 player

start the server, then choose the map on the left, and then the mission for that map is on the right, the ones for workshop missions should be orange if im not mistaken,

sorry havent played an mp workshop mission in many months so i forget the exact color atm.

So you can play any mission in sp unless it says pvp then you obviously need another player, coop you can play in sp (host mp as described above) and

if the mission has teamswitch setup or respawn then you just  switch to the next playable unit.

Now on another note lets say you played a mission and want to maybe adjust some things in it, or add some things, or even remove stuff you dont like

you could follow my tutorial and learn how to take a workshop mission and open it in the editor and go from there:

Just to note, whatever you change/edit,fix, or remove otherwise in someone else's mission, just do not rerelease it and call it yours unless the author of that mission

says on his workshop page that you can edit his mission, make variations, and or rerelease it, or unless you just outright ask them for permission.

Its a big no no in the Arma community to edit other people's work and then call it your own be it a variation and then rerelease it, you will get a shit storm for that. So keep that in mind.

You can also just open missions to see how they were built to learn from them. 

New to the editor, and played a mission you download and always wonder how something was done, or are trying to learn yourself, well what better way to learn then by example.

Anyways hope that helps, anymore questions dont hesitate to ask the community here is very friendly and helpful especially to new guys. Cheers!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ak_niaazi said:

I have finished ARMA III several times since it launched and I have never ever seen such missions. My question is, where do these missions come from? Are these mods or what? Through some of my search, I have got some information that there are mods for ARMA III and then there are also custom made missions and campaigns designed by several teams or individuals. So, I want to ask how can I play these missions? & How can I design these two? And like, are these missions playable too or just designed for YouTube? 

Truly, one of the bigest pleasure is to create your mission yourself. You can use Vanilla Arma or choose your favorite mods like CUP, RHS, UNSUNG, IFA3,... and start with small but immersive scenarios. You can find useful tools and tutos on this forum.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, ak_niaazi said:

How can I design these two?

You need to start from somewhere :

• Like 3

On 4/7/2019 at 10:32 PM, Gunter Severloh said:

What i thought, nice job dude, you've done more then i in that respects, only things i've done in terms of stock missions, was all the tutorials, editor included,

about half of the sp scenarios, some MP missions, some trials, vr trials almost complete, but been mostly in the editor since Alpha, among other things.

As for your previous question to POLPOX:

Yes! Unless specified otherwise on the workshop page what game mode the mission is for as in sp, coop, or mp only.

So you have to review the page for each mission, also keep in mind if they require mods then you will need those mods too.

For missions basically all you do is click on the subscribe button on the mission your interested in, the mission will download, once its downloaded then you go to the specified area for the mission

so if its a SP mission you subbed too, then you go to scenarios tab on the menu and choose it there, the mission will finish its installation as soon as you start the mission.

If you chose a mission that can be played in MP you can still play it in SP but for that you will need to go to MP, then host your own server, give it a name, and password put 1 player

start the server, then choose the map on the left, and then the mission for that map is on the right, the ones for workshop missions should be orange if im not mistaken,

sorry havent played an mp workshop mission in many months so i forget the exact color atm.

So you can play any mission in sp unless it says pvp then you obviously need another player, coop you can play in sp (host mp as described above) and

if the mission has teamswitch setup or respawn then you just  switch to the next playable unit.

Now on another note lets say you played a mission and want to maybe adjust some things in it, or add some things, or even remove stuff you dont like

you could follow my tutorial and learn how to take a workshop mission and open it in the editor and go from there:

Just to note, whatever you change/edit,fix, or remove otherwise in someone else's mission, just do not rerelease it and call it yours unless the author of that mission

says on his workshop page that you can edit his mission, make variations, and or rerelease it, or unless you just outright ask them for permission.

Its a big no no in the Arma community to edit other people's work and then call it your own be it a variation and then rerelease it, you will get a shit storm for that. So keep that in mind.

You can also just open missions to see how they were built to learn from them. 

New to the editor, and played a mission you download and always wonder how something was done, or are trying to learn yourself, well what better way to learn then by example.

Anyways hope that helps, anymore questions dont hesitate to ask the community here is very friendly and helpful especially to new guys. Cheers!

THANK YOU so much for such a detailed elaboration of my questions dude. I only have one question left, like I have seen various MP missions on YouTube where some guys are like teaming up and playing like really professionally, they follow all the procedures, use air support, do missions like veterans with everything properly followed, even the radio comms ... are they all human beings? and just being professional or what? and how can I play with them? 

And yeah, thanks once again for going in such detail man, it really cleared up my mind and yes no worries for the edited missions, I have been gaming for a long time and also am a Computer Sciences student so I know and respect the copy rights of someone's work so you people won't be seeing any such thing from my side. :) 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 12:04 PM, pierremgi said:

Truly, one of the bigest pleasure is to create your mission yourself. You can use Vanilla Arma or choose your favorite mods like CUP, RHS, UNSUNG, IFA3,... and start with small but immersive scenarios. You can find useful tools and tutos on this forum.

Yep, now my goal is at least creating one mission to see how it runs and how it actually feels. Is Vanilla Arma an already created mod? and I can just edit or what?

On 4/8/2019 at 12:45 PM, GEORGE FLOROS GR said:

You need to start from somewhere :

Thanks bro, just gonna watch these tonight. Thank you all for so much help! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ak_niaazi said:

Yep, now my goal is at least creating one mission to see how it runs and how it actually feels. Is Vanilla Arma an already created mod? and I can just edit or what?

Vanilla Arma means : official Arma (latest version). So no mod. Just open editor!
After that, you have mods:

- reworking Arma totally like Ravage ...

- mods like CUP, RHS, IFA3, UNSUNG... for new terrains or modded units....

- mods for best immersion and improvements:   JSRS sound mod, enhanced movement...

- mods for mission makers: MGI advanced modules ...

And more on Steam workshop.

And once you have some ideas for your scenario, have a look at Gunther or George links above, for the "how to do" things. There are a bunch of already done scripts. Enjoy in scripting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ak_niaazi said:

are they all human beings? and just being professional or what? and how can I play with them? 

Most likely, what you probably have watched are either whats called MilSim units, Units, Squads, or just well organized groups that like to play with order and or seriousness, most i would think are PVE basically

human players against AI, on flipside to that im sure theres units out there that have matches, tournaments, and events that are pvp or basically TvT (Team vs team) type play.

Now if your interested in that then i would recommend to search around, start with this section of the forum:

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/forum/160-arma-3-squads-and-fanpages/

There are a number of units,groups, squads that have been around along time, that go back to the Arma1 days which is back to like 2006,

maybe even OFP days, but what i suggest is look at the following things:

• When does the unit play? their time zone?
  • Are they USA, European, Australian, Spanish, or Asian based?
  • Do they accept people from other countries?
  • Do they speak your language, will they accept you if you dont speak their language?
  • Will they accept new players to the game or experienced only?
  • What is their age group?
  • What is their age requirements?
  • What are they looking for in a member?
  • Do you have the time for a unit?, as its a commitment depending on the unit, some more lenient then others.
  • Remember with units, squads, or groups they most likely will have some sort of training you may have to go through to maybe qualify for something, depends.
  • What do they play in terms of mod requirements, do they have a mod pack, a steam workshop collection you need?
  • Do they play other games or just Arma3?
  • Do they have an application you need to fill (most likely on their website, or forum)?
  • How many members do they have?
  • How long have they been a unit, group, squad?
  • Do they have their own website, and or steam group?
  • Can you contact someone to talk with either on their site, forums, steam workshop, here on Bis forums, or do you have to join their Teamspeak, Ventrilo, Discord, Mumble or other type of voice group program?
  • Do they rent or own (dedicated), their own server?
  • Do they build their own missions or are you playing missions they downloaded for the group/unit?
  • Do they have any videos you can watch to get an idea of what their about, how they play, and cooperate to achieve objectives?
  • Is the unit, group, or squad have a specific name based on a real live unit, or a past unit?
  • Are they portraying a modern unit, older unit from the 80's, 90s, or today, or from WW2, or WW1? (yes theres a mod for that).
  • Do they have a rank system, Awards, medals you can earn?
  • Do they have an organized military structure setup with ranks?
  • Do they have squads, or subgroups, or Zug setup? Like a machine gun team, Tank squad, fireteam, ect,.

Alot to weigh but if you know what you are looking for and some certain videos you have watched attract you to that, and those videos in particular

appease that interest, then see if you can ask those who the video is from.

Hope that helps. 🙂

• Like 3

This is a wonderful thread!

I'm also up to start making my own missions, trying to bring to the field the same experience I've got with my friends, after months of fun but as immersive as we could get.

So I'm also researching in my free time the initial steps for a decent mission design at least.

I also thank you all who contributed in this topic.