Sign in to follow this  
madrussian

Uniform Armor vs Vest Armor (hopefully quick)

I'd like to tweak some foot soldier equipment Armor values of my favorite mods (for personal use, etc).

Thankfully, I see how to tweak vest armor (and helmet armor) described in a straightforward way here on the wiki.  Good so far.

The simple question is:  Where are uniform armor values defined?

Here's a quick rundown on what I did & where I looked (so far):

Spoiler

First off, based on quick searches, appears uniform armor is tweakable too:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/107410/discussions/0/135507548126049025/

Specifically, someone said: "CSAT never wears anything higher in vest armor than the tac vest unless it is changed by someone. So in turn, their uniforms have higher armor."

Let's use example soldier "CUP_O_RU_Soldier_M_EMR", and try and check his uniform armor.  In CfgVehicles for this soldier type:

uniformClass = "CUP_U_O_RUS_EMR_1";

Good so far.  I know uniforms are defined in CfgWeapons, so I go find his uniform type defined there.  Looking inside, I see that unlike vests (which have "ItemInfo" >> "HitpointsProtectionInfo" where armor values are defined), uniforms have "ItemInfo" >> "uniformClass".  So this soldier's uniform's "uniformClass" is "CUP_O_RUS_Soldier_02". Great, almost there!

So I check in CfgWeapons for "CUP_O_RUS_Soldier_02" and it's not there, so then I check in CfgVehicles for "CUP_O_RUS_Soldier_02" and thankfully, it's in there!

The trouble is, this "uniformClass" (again inside CfgVehicles) seems to be a soldier (like any other) and I don't see any entries indicating Uniform Armor values.  So now I'm quite stuck, please enlighten if you would be so kind, thanks!

class H_LIB_SOV_RA_Helmet: H_LIB_HelmetB
	{
		class ItemInfo: ItemInfo
		{
			class HitpointsProtectionInfo
			{
				class Head
				{
					hitpointName = "HitHead";
					armor = 5;
					passThrough = 0.8;

class V_LIB_SOV_IShBrVestMG: V_LIB_Vest_Camo_Base
		class ItemInfo: VestItem
		{
			class HitpointsProtectionInfo
			{
				class Chest
				{
					HitpointName = "HitChest";
					armor = 10;
					PassThrough = 0.4;
				};
				class Diaphragm
				{
					HitpointName = "HitDiaphragm";
					armor = 10;
					PassThrough = 0.4;
				};
				class Abdomen
				{
					hitpointName = "HitAbdomen";
					armor = 10;
					passThrough = 0.4;
				};
				class Body
				{
					hitpointName = "HitBody";
					passThrough = 0.4;
				};

Thanks for response kju.  Again, I see how look/up modify armor value for vests and helmets, but not for uniforms.

Specifically, vests and helmets have "ItemInfo" >> "HitpointsProtectionInfo", and as you show (in your example) armor can be modified inside there.

In contrast, uniforms do not have "ItemInfo" >> "HitpointsProtectionInfo", and instead have "ItemInfo" >> "uniformClass".  Seems to me the armor value for uniform must somehow be derived from "uniformClass".  That's where I'm stuck though, not sure how to get armor value from "uniformClass".

More broadly, I am under the impression (based on that steam post I mentioned in spoiler above and some limited experiments) that uniforms specifically even have armor values at all.  Can someone confirm (yay or nay) whether this is the case?

Look at the config for the CSAT infantry uniforms. Those have protection in the uniforms and not the vests. You should be able to figure it out from there.

Thanks for response BadHabitz.  Good to hear confirmation that uniforms indeed have armor values (and CSAT specifically).

Ok, so I take soldier type "O_Soldier_F".  In config I see he wears uniform "U_O_CombatUniform_ocamo".  In CfgWeapons, I find this uniform type.  I look for "ItemInfo" >> "HitpointsProtectionInfo", but it's not there.  Instead I see "ItemInfo" >> "uniformClass".  Because I don't see "ItemInfo" >> "HitpointsProtectionInfo" (where you obtain armor info for vests), but instead see "ItemInfo" >> "uniformClass" in it's place, I infer that "uniformClass" is the probably the key to determining uniform armor.

Can anyone confirm (yay or nay) that "uniformClass" has anything to do with obtaining uniform's armor?

(Btw- Sorry if I'm being obtuse.  I have CS degree but in this case I'm mega-stuck and could use bit more help, thanks!)

OK, I think I may have just figured out the rest.  From the top...

Soldier type "O_Soldier_F" wears uniform "U_O_CombatUniform_ocamo".  This uniform has "ItemInfo" >> "uniformClass" equal to "O_Soldier_F".  So "U_O_CombatUniform_ocamo" uniform gets armor values from the HitPoints entry for "O_Soldier_F", which in this case are elevated (mostly 6 with neck being 4, etc).

In contrast, soldier type "B_Soldier_F" wears uniform "U_B_CombatUniform_mcam".  This uniform has "ItemInfo" >> "uniformClass" equal to "B_Soldier_F".  So "U_O_CombatUniform_ocamo" uniform gets armor values from the HitPoints entry for "B_Soldier_F", which in this case are lower (mostly 1 with arms and hand being 3, etc).  This guy gets his armor more from his vest, etc.

Most of that makes sense, except for one bizarre conclusion.  It seems that "O_Soldier_F", in addition to having a more resilient uniform, would also have a more resilient body.  Not quite sure how that squares up!