Sign in to follow this  
Shortbus

Server fps steady, never rises?

Hi all,

I've thrown up a p4 2.4Ghz dedicated server w/ 1GB RDRAM. I know the max fps is 50 but the fps on my server never goes higher than 32, even when nothing is going on and I alone am sitting in the lobby.

Even when playing, it rarely drops below 32.

Is there a setting I'm missing that is limiting this server to 32 FPS?

Shortbus

wow.gif

I believe you should have 50fps in the lobby... something is a mess there.

I have had this too, sometimes it seems to stop at 32FPS instead of 50.

Basic's

15+ = Playable

25+ = Really Good

As long as its running above 25 in game mode dont worry, i didnt change any settings and it tops out at 50 most days, but will sometimes still limit itself to 32.

In CTF or other games with no AI the FPS should not be too much of an issue, its only Coop where the server has to think about 50 AI units as well and control them.

I know the max fps is 50 but the fps on my server never goes higher than 32, even when nothing is going on and I alone am sitting in the lobby.

Shortbus

Any update on this issue?..

After upgrading our hardware, I have the exact same problem!..

[WKK]-EazyOne

www.wkk.dk

You could check for the "Frame_Rate_Pref" setting in flashpoint.cfg or "frameRate" in your users/player/userinfo.cfg...

My server in an Athlon XP 1.7Ghz, and seems to have the same 32FPS ceiling too. Strange. rock.gif

You could check for the "Frame_Rate_Pref" setting in flashpoint.cfg or "frameRate" in your users/player/userinfo.cfg...

It says:

Frame_Rate_Pref="500";(flashpoint.cfg)

and

frameRate=15.000000;(userinfo.cfg)

Could admin with a server running 50fps, plz check their .CFGs!?.

Other ideas are welcome! smile_o.gif

(Admins with some of the "super-servers" outthere: It would be grat if someone could zip all their .CFGs, that would give other admins some kind of reference)

Regards

[WKK]-EazyOne

Same here, Frame_Rate_Pref 500 and frameRate 15 , FPS at 50 in lobby, Linux server.

I fail to see where could your problem come from.

Whis'

Frame_Rate_Pref="500"; (flashpoint.cfg)

frameRate=50.000000; (userinfo.cfg)

Try that

I am not aware of any such setting.

What you see may be cased by some particular way OS decides to schedule processes or your system, as OFP uses Sleep(time) in case server fps is "too high". On the other hand, 32 fps seems to be completely acceptable for server and it is very unlikely you will notice any difference between server running 32 or 50 fps.

Our server runs the same way. 32 FPS ceiling. My question is if a server with a 32 FPS ceiling is running at 15 FPS, is that equivalent to a 50 FPS server running at 33 FPS? Get my drift? Unless we know the answer to that question, it may be difficult to guage server performance with the monitor utility.

Suma, the person who wrote the "monitor" code doesn't know how the FPS is determined or why it may appear different on some servers? I'm not understanding your response.

Do you have a windows server too? Maybe windows is limiting the fps somehow? Have you tried disabling VSync? May seem farfetched but it's no big deal to test it...

Suma, the person who wrote the "monitor" code doesn't know how the FPS is determined or why it may appear different on some servers?  I'm not understanding your response.

No, you got me wrong. I think I know how fps is measured with the #monitor command and I am convinced the number shown there is real. What I do not know is why the upper limit in 32 fps on some systems - and that is because there is some OS specific stuff influencing the limit (not the measurement of fps). Therefore if two servers show 20 fps, they run with the same performance, no matter what their top performance is.

Following information may be relevant to the problem:

http://www.wideman-one.com/gw/tech/dataacq/skedgran/skedgran.htm

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/info/nt5.shtml

Thanks Suma. If this is indeed related to the FPS issue a fix may not be possible as the server quanta in Win2k is not controllable in the release version. I'm still not sure I agree though....since Win2k quanta is fixed, then why the disparity between several servers running the same version of the OS? I have a theory it may be related to processor speed/architecture and perhaps quanta in combination.

For example I have 2 servers, both running Win2k SP3. The server with a 3GHz processor runs at 32 FPS, while the server with a 1GHz processor runs at 50 FPS. What are the processor speeds of others having this same "issue"? If we could come up with some sort of pattern, perhaps we could derive an answer.

However, since its not performance affecting, and more about people wanting to see that "50", then I guess its not a big deal..... rock.gif