Sign in to follow this  
Lazarus_Long

New vietnam mission!

Merry Christmas! xmas.gif

Ok, I finally finished my latest mission for the awesome Vietnam Pack 2.0. by Select This.  This mission is my masterpiece!  The fruit of many hours of teaching myself new tricks with the editor.

It's called "1st Air Cav - Welcome to the Shit!"

It's inspired by a mix of several real-life missions by 'C' Company 1/5th Cavalry,1st Air Cav during the Vietnam War - Air assult into a hot LZ, conduct a Movement to Contact, neutralize a VC strongpoint, defend a position against an onslaught of NVA troops.  Call in for air strikes.  This is the OFP Vietnam experience... Can you stay alive?

This is my first mission that I've deemed worthy to share with the OFP community, so don't be surprised if you find a bug or two. I'm fairly new to this so let me know if you have any major problems with it. If anyone wants to try it out I'll email it to you if you PM me.  Also I would really appreciate it if someone could host it for me as I have no webspace of my own.  The file is slightly on the large side (5.4MB) due to some killer music files that gives the mission it's atmosphere, but it is well worth the download.

Let me know what you think

xmas.gif

Oh wait...disregard previous reply. I just re-read your post and saw the part about not having a site to host.

My apologies.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (David Shipley @ Dec. 24 2002,19:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I could host it; I could either place it on my server, or on FilePlanet, which I have file access to.

I guess you'd have to send it to me by E-mail? davidshipley@planetavp.com.<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks for doing this! I'm e-mailing it to you now.  Because of the size of the file, it may take a couple of minutes.

xmas.gif

Edit: Aw crap... My email provider won't let me send an attachement this big!! sad.gif

Oh well, I think I may have found some good webspace for it through my cable modem provider. I should have a link up and running shortly. Check back in an hour or two.

"Ok, I finally finished my latest mission for the awesome Vietnam Pack 2.0. by Select This."

AHEM

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">From the readme:

Nam Pack 2

By Ebud, Bibmi, Eviscerator, SelectThis   (SEB)<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ Dec. 24 2002,20:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Ok, I finally finished my latest mission for the awesome Vietnam Pack 2.0. by Select This."

AHEM

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">From the readme:

Nam Pack 2

By Ebud, Bibmi, Eviscerator, SelectThis   (SEB)<span id='postcolor'><span id='postcolor'>

Ah, now I understand what SEB stands for... I was just going by what it said on the bottom of the map. I guess I should have looked at the readme closer. I'll make sure I fix the credits in the mission before I post the link. I didn't mean to leave anyone out.

Great job on the mod BTW. You guys have singlehandedly revitalized OFP for me!

xmas.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ Dec. 24 2002,21:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nam Pack 2

By Ebud, Bibmi, Eviscerator, SelectThis<span id='postcolor'>

I myself almost made the mistake of thinking SEB stood only for SelectThis & EBud, when I reviewed Nam Pack 2 on The FAQ's MOM page.

Always read the README! smile.gif

The file seems to be corupt, I will try and download it again later.

RED

I checked the file, I can't find any problems with it.

However, when I played the downloaded version, I discovered that an old annoying bug has returned. The helicopter taking your squad to the LZ tries to land in the nearby woods instead of in the LZ. I was sure that I had this problem fixed last night, but for some reason.... mad.gif I'm using SnYper's detect_choppers.sqs scriot for the insertion sequence.

If anyone can help me fix this problem I'd be grateful. I'm leaving the link open for now in case anyone wants to help me troubleshoot it! The mission is still playable despite this particular annoying event. Feel free to download it.

I guess I'm going to have to declare this mission still in BETA.

sad.gif

I had no problem with the landing, it was as smooth as a baby's buttocks xmas.gif

Problem comes when you have to defend the objective against a couple of counter-attacks. I've killed all gooks in a 2000m radius and the mission still doesn't end. I had 4x time on for 15 mins mad.gif

Anyway, fun mission xmas.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (smogmorph @ Dec. 24 2002,23:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Did you make any of the scripts by yourself ?  xmas.gif<span id='postcolor'>

The scripts used are a medly of a bunch of different scripts I found at OFPEC. I wish I could take credit for them, all I did was modify them slightly to work for my own purposes. I'm pretty sure I included everyone in the credits. If you feel like I've missed someone, let me know.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (smogmorph @ Dec. 24 2002,23:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I had no problem with the landing, it was as smooth as a baby's buttocks  xmas.gif

Problem comes when you have to defend the objective against a couple of counter-attacks. I've killed all gooks in a 2000m radius and the mission still doesn't end. I had 4x time on for 15 mins  mad.gif

Anyway, fun mission  xmas.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm... I've noticed that some of the NVA's seem to flee back across the river where they came from. Their presence prevent the end trigger. Shame, I worked hard on the end cutscene. Thanks for bringing this up... I'll see what I can do.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lazarus_Long @ Dec. 24 2002,23:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm... I've noticed that some of the NVA's seem to flee back across the river where they came from.  Their presence prevent the end trigger.<span id='postcolor'>

Try putting "AllowFleeing 0" in their Init fields

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (smogmorph @ Dec. 24 2002,23:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, you didn't give credit to "David Berka"  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Ooops. I forgot the explosion script.  Its so simple... I use it so much that I almost took it for granted.

I'll try that command. Thanks for the help.

One more thing..

The part with the civie that explodes( biggrin.gif ), aint the explosion supposed to hurt the people around it?

Stupid as I am, I didn't pay much attention to the text being displayed so I just stood right next to the exploding civie without being hurt at all. wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (David Shipley @ Dec. 25 2002,00:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just downloaded it, and I personally think it's a fantastic map! One of the most fun I've played. :-)

Good job, man.<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks, I'm glad you like it!  xmas.gif

I've fixed a few things like the fleeing NVA's at the end.  The mission now ends like it is supposed to without having to comb the jungle for fleeing stragglers!  The helicopter problem seems to have went away... Wierd, It must be a random bug.  I wish I could figure out what causes it.

Updated link: 1st Air Cav - Welcome to the Shit!

Hehe that Napalm was sooo cool, I saved my guys ass with it and took out most of the guys crossing the river with it. After I blew us all up by miscalculating where the plane would release haha. Sweet mission dude, keep it up !

Yeah, man! This is the first Vietnam mission I've played where it *really* feels like it's Vietnam, you know? Mainly because of the airstrikes, and US forces facing overwhelming odds (in numbers, at least).

Keep 'em up! -- I'm basically a Vietnam-mission-fanatic now.

More missions! -- Add the C130 mod for a mass-parachute mission, maybe? Who knows!