Sign in to follow this  
Harnu

How low do you fly?

Kamikaze is popular, ain't it  confused.gif

btw, when I have my joystick, I can fly 160 @ 2m AGL.

Joysticks forever!!!

I recently had the honor of dropping 2 AI squads into a insertion point - right near those Christmas trees smile.gif

I wish there is a "expert flight model" for OFP, ex effect of torque, etc...

I think OFP can push a bit more on flight models, though current flight model is fun, and the infantry AI (which is the main concern) is fabulous.

OMFG... I am not getting in a chopper in any coop games with you crazy foo's!

I hate choppers...... coz you don't always know how good you're pilot is

USSubmariner, use submarines instead smile.gif

Oh, but I get so p____ed when a stinking pilot kills half the players in a NONRESPAWN coop mad.gif

Also, NEVER rely on an AI CH47 flying fast n low

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Jan. 02 2003,22:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For those cheap multiplayer servers where choppers respawn AND you get parachutes, being able to ditch a helo and drop the helo right onto the head of the enemy is useful.<span id='postcolor'>

Hell man, it's great to have paracutes and respawn!  Atleast on Public servers it is  tounge.gif   What do you mean you get parachutes on cheap servers?  Doesn't just about everyone who boards a military helo get a parachute unless they're riding cargo and will be dropped by landing?<span id='postcolor'>

umm no, you don't get parachutes whenever you fly in a helicopter. unless you're doing an airborne operation then you don't have one. pilots certaintly don't get one because you can't exactly bail out of a helicopter... the rotor blades will slice you to pieces.

as for flying in MP games, i like to fly about 20-30. theres no sense in going lower, all it does is increase the risk of danger to your crew due to a sudden lag spike or a sudden change in terrain. i go at a speed of about 250-280 and slow down to 100-120 for my final approach. a lot of people dont slow down when they near the target and then wonder why they cant immediately drop their speed to zero... i recommend bringing the speed down to about 100 once you're about 500m from the target. it works wonders biggrin.gif oh and i cant stand pilots who just bail out of their choppers. even if they respawn, that's just gay. either hover and let your cargo out, land and let them out, or circle and provide air support. just my two cents biggrin.gif

The army actually tried to work out an ejection seat system in Vietnam, but it was buggy and didn't work all the time. The rotars popped out and stuff... it's hard to explain.

Yeah, in terms of realism the parachuting from a chopper is completely unrealistic for everyone but airborne troops and special-ops. For everyone else it's sit your fat ass in the seat til the aircraft comes to a complete stop then walk to the nearest exit. wink.gif

I don't mind the lack of realism (well, yeah I do) but I do mind the fact that parachuting from helos has completely removed the need for good pilots in the majority of public multiplayer servers. No one bothers to become very good at landing because if you play mostly multi, there's no real need. This just brings the quality of gaming and players down that much more because OFP has to cater to the tards who never bother to learn. So everyone has to suffer with a cheap excuse for using helos in multi because goons can't land without flipping it.

And it's really sad because so many servers have third person view enabled which makes landing 10x easier than in first person only which requires a swift hand on the freelook button to make sure you're not clipping trees or flipping. At least in the good tournaments they disable parachutes and force you to land. Respawning I can live with, but it's just one more thing that makes shooting down a chopper not that rewarding because you know another will be back and the team is only tripped up for about 3 minutes. Lame deluxe.

Btw, I can fly at ONE METER above the ground at 300 over the hilliest terrain!! Riiiiiiight. Ya know, threads like this just become who can lie more convincingly. So I guess I'll go along with it. wink.gif

How can you guys slow down and get into an LZ going 300+ 30 meters off the ground? I normally fly at around 55 or so, goin about 200.

I can land very well with 3rd person. 1st person is much more challenging but its a fricken game, Its more fun in 3rd Person.

>Cloney

Although this is a completely unrealistic s_it, I rotate 180 degrees. When you do so, the speed will drop dramatically. I've never heard of such a procedure in real life smile.gif

>AngusHeaf

I totally agree with you. Some people use CH47 like a Transport Vehicle on 'Tribes' or something.

However, I don't know if "3rd person view is bad" is valid...

Well, when we see things, we usually "see" 60deg. and "sort of see" +-170 degrees. When we play on PC (1st person) we only see... uh... 50degrees of the eyefield.

However, with 3rd person, you can see about 160degrees.

Oh, you may say that we can use POV on our joystick, but you cannot move your head as quickly, and also the range that you see is still limited.

Also, there are floor windows on choppers, right? (As I recall from MSFS)

I love flying in 1st person mode i find it more easy to fly and land.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cloney @ Jan. 04 2003,17:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How can you guys slow down and get into an LZ going 300+ 30 meters off the ground? I normally fly at around 55 or so, goin about 200.

I can land very well with 3rd person. 1st person is much more challenging but its a fricken game, Its more fun in 3rd Person.<span id='postcolor'>

You can almost stop on a pin Cloney. Just spin 180 degrees. Do it by hitting strafe and using the tail rotor to turn. It will whip you around. Then nose down to prevent reverse.