Hi

is it possible to receive custom data from a server in arma?

like what htmlLoad command does but so that you can work with the html instead of simply displaying it.

thx!

4 hours ago, gc8 said:

Hi

is it possible to receive custom data from a server in arma?

like what htmlLoad command does but so that you can work with the html instead of simply displaying it.

thx!

how exactly do you want the player to receive the data?

as i know its not possible due to security reasons, the only files wich are "externally" accessible and readable are the userdata, the save profile or the squad.xml

13 hours ago, gokitty1199 said:

how exactly do you want the player to receive the data?

Any way possible I guess :)

Edit: like html for example

Edited by gc8

as i said there is no a real method to access external files, but if you tell us what you want to do will be better to find a possible workaround

16 minutes ago, tRiKy_ch said:

as i said there is no a real method to access external files, but if you tell us what you want to do will be better to find a possible workaround

Well I wanted to receive password from the server that is used to unlock the mission.

ok, you could use

_password = call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "\userconfig\myMission\Password.hpp";

then in your server arma_root_folder\userconfig\myMission\ put a file called Password.hpp with

"yourpassword"

@tRiKy_ch thanks for that solution but the problem with this approach is that you have to have the password.hpp file on every server and it also means no one can play your mission alone unless they install password file too. That's why I wanted to receive the password from global server.

I'm thinking that I could write dll addon the gets the PW but I don't know if steam addons allow dll to be downloaded with them? Or do dll's need to be manually installed?

42 minutes ago, gc8 said:

but I don't know if steam addons allow dll to be downloaded with them

Yes they do.. But you'd need a battleye whitelist.

11 minutes ago, Dedmen said:

Yes they do.. But you'd need a battleye whitelist.

How do I do that?

Ask Battleye support for it.

Also you only need it if you play with battleye. But I'd just assume that you do. Because no sense in trying to protect anything with a password if you don't use battleye.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dedmen said:

Because no sense in trying to protect anything with a password if you don't use battleye.

Not very familiar of what kind of protection the BE does. can you give an example of what could happen without BE?

47 minutes ago, gc8 said:

Not very familiar of what kind of protection the BE does. can you give an example of what could happen without BE?

users could load all dll's they want, in simple word they can use cheat or whatever they want

2 minutes ago, tRiKy_ch said:

users could load all dll's they want, in simple word they can use cheat or whatever they want

Right. However I'm under impression that BE does not prevent all cheating... But I guess it's good to have.

you're right, BE on clinet-side prevent the "classic" cheating: dll's who inject code to the game like aimbot or wallhacks, that's the motive because if you want to load a dll with BE you need it to be whitelisted

but arma have mods and if don't have control over it a user could load any mods he wants and that could bring to cheating (could you manage this via BE on the server but require a bit of work)

• Like 1