prototype1479

Animating In OFP

I mean a replacement of an old models to some new ones.  

It's because...

Not replacing models:

Pros : 

-Still has the old school and nostalgic feeling to it

-Better graphics = more lag

-The models I take from someone else might be not allowed so my mod might get removed from BIS forums

Cons :

-Old models look pretty bad

And also my mod is more gameplay focused rather than good looks (AI take cover script , Jumping/Climbing script , 3D aiming and possibly kickboxing if I learn animating even more)

Maybe going off topic a bit, but as long as the models are built well, they shouldn't affect performance to a high degree. I'm not saying they wouldn't account for some drain. But they'd have to be pretty badly made to cause a serious hit.

If I was to guess, based on my experience, large numbers of AI are likely a bigger resource hog. Followed by excessive and badly written scripts.

• Like 2

Hhhooolllyyy! Your reputation is at 666 gotta ruin that :D

You know it really depends on the models like for example dan mod really makes me lag.

It could be scripts tho but when I decrease its texture resolution the performance increases.

And you're right there is so many unoptimized scripts at OFPEC.

Maybe i got bad GFX i don't know but I do have a bad CPU too.

Oh also it seems like were going off topic so uhm.... ANIMATIONS ARE GREAT RIGHT GUYS?

My soul is saved....:icon_biggrin:

Going off topic is par for the course on a forum. 

Many things can affect performance. Dialing back on the detail can help, as it takes some of the load off. But that doesn't always mean it's the source of the problem. Looping scripts aren't too bad if they're sparsely used. But if there's one attached to every unit in a mission, or many units, then it would start to drain resources fairly quickly, coupled with anything else that might be happening. 

And as far as I'm aware, it's the CPU that shoulders most of the load with OFP/CWA.

And yes. Animations are great. But at the same time, confusing as hell. But they can add a whole new dimension to a mod or addon.

Animations like close combat might be a big challenge in  Ofpanim. I think in order to save your sanity to some degree, you might be better using something with IK. What that is, is entirely up to you. But it's going to need some study no matter what program you choose.

• Like 1

Fighting means interaction: one kicks ans so another falls off. Also there must be an ability to catch, so it is pretty hard to do, and a deflection blocks... There is so much guns and a vehs so fist to fist combat is somwthing uncommon, unless you are a jedi :)

• Like 1

To be forced to stand in combat with your fists being a soldier you probably need to lost your gun, your knife, belt, helmet and so on...

• Like 1

That's true. But that's the beauty of the engine. With a little skill and some motivation, you can take things in different directions if you want to. Fight in ancient rome. Become a ninja, a wolf. Or a super soldier from the far future. My point is, it's always been a mil sim, but that hasn't stopped modders from creating some really cool, strange and even funny stuff that has nothing to do with the core game.

• Like 1

Yes these limitations are annoying but its also challenging as hell and finding a solution for it is so satisfying and also I have no money to buy a professional animating program ;-(

Btw do you guys got steam? If yes then can you guys add me? (my name is Alex_Mercer_1479)

I use skype once in a while. And I'm using discord at the moment. But that's it for me.

A lot of people don't have the cash to spend on professional software. Or can't justify the expense for a hobby. So you either use something like O2Pe ,OFPanim or take a shot at blender. There's no cost involved, and the only hurdle you face is your own motivation and willingness to learn how to use it. It's a powerful application with a couple of tools that make it stand out for modding arma in particular. It holds it's own in relation to the big names.

• Like 2

Can you give me link for blender? I literally find blenders instead of the program XD

And for that O2Pe to

• Haha 1

Really? It's the first hit that comes up with a search for "Blender download". :headscratch:

https://www.blender.org/download/

You have 2 options. A lot of folks I meet trying it for the first time, go with the installer. But you don't have to. You can also choose the zip version. Why? With the zipped package you can have multiple versions without having to gum up your registry. When you feel like deleting them cleanup is minimal.

Click on the blue text ( MacOs, Linux and other versions)to reveal the other download options. Choose the right one for your own OS. You can use the 32bit versions, but if you're using a 64bit OS, then there's not much point. So go with the Windows 64bit zip.

I don't know if I have the version of the tools that has O2PE in it. If I can find the installer I'll send you a copy. You'll need it to convert to the older Mlod format, if you're using it to model. You don't require it for animation though.

• Like 1