spanishsurfer

Has anyone here edited the max allowable range (via config edit/inheritance) for heavy artillery when using the vanilla artillery computer?

Like the title says, I'm looking to see if anyone has seen or done this type of edit. Our CTI server is trying to find a solution to heavy artillery use on the server and before I begin messing with configs (which I'm a noob), I'm curious to see if it's already been done. 

Thanks for any tips/help!

The shells can already travel 60KM with the max range, there is no Arma 3 map that is larger than that. I am sure it calculates it from the velocity and the mass of the projectile. You would need to increase the velocity of the round to allow it to go further, so that would be good to experiment with.

On 5/11/2018 at 11:07 PM, jakeplissken said:

The shells can already travel 60KM with the max range, there is no Arma 3 map that is larger than that. I am sure it calculates it from the velocity and the mass of the projectile. You would need to increase the velocity of the round to allow it to go further, so that would be good to experiment with.

We actually want to shorten the range. Is there anything in the configs for editing the artillery computer? They are set distances, they must be in there. 

On 5/15/2018 at 8:09 PM, spanishsurfer said:

We actually want to shorten the range. Is there anything in the configs for editing the artillery computer? They are set distances, they must be in there. 

On 5/12/2018 at 6:07 AM, jakeplissken said:

Artillery uses a simple parabola to calculate projectile paths, no air friction, coriolis force or projectile mass involved.

The range solely depends on the artillery fuze, with 810m/s being the one achieving the highest range (~70km @ 45° firing elevation), simply use this calculator.

To actually override this you'd need to write a replacement mod for the artillery weapons AIcharge parameter (155mm: configfile >> "CfgWeapons" >> "mortar_155mm_AMOS" >> "Burst1" >> "artilleryCharge").

With an artilleryCharge value of 1, the muzzle velocity is 810, so take that as a reference.

A simpler way could be to make a custom magazine for the arty and adjust the initSpeed value (155mm: configfile >> "CfgMagazines" >> "32Rnd_155mm_Mo_shells" >> "initSpeed").

Assuming you'd want to limit the gun to a range of 25km you'd set this value to ~500.

Definitely would need some testing to see how this works out.

Cheers

• Like 1