Sign in to follow this  
soul_assassin

Proposed wwii addon standards

*can mods pleas make this topic sticky?

Gogs (WWIIEC team) has proposed to make some coding standards that every team involved in making WWII addons shold follow. We haven't developed a system yet but hopefully if it work out then the same thing could be applied to other areas of OFP.

The basic idea is to make standardised conversion of real ammo caliber stopping power into OFP to make it as realistic as possible so if 2 Thompson smg's come from different mod groups it takes the same number of shots to kill and inf man.

what I further propose is to write snippets of ammunition cpp code for most commonly used calibers like .30 and .45 etc so addonmakers can actually copy/paste them to spare time.

We need suggestions and I would also like for the big shot mod groups such as I44 to perticipate in this.

Yes i proposed it to Gogs... and i ment it like this example:

WW2EC ME109 with Mg151: weapons do 34 damage

i44 FW-190 A-8 with Mg151: weapons do 50 damage

And the goal is to make every weapon as powerful in any modification so the mod teams search out what figure is correct..

This way different weapons from different mod teams can be used in the same mission without unbalance..

example:

WW2 Team's Tiger was way to powerful...

What if Internal Editing made a allied tank and in RL© it could never beat the Tiger but in OFP the allied tank beats 4 tigers with ease... A big problem for mission makers..

As Soul_Assassin said.. i hope this works so other mods (vietnam , modern day) could do it too..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FW200 @ Dec. 15 2002,00:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes i proposed it to Gogs... and i ment it like this example:

WW2EC ME109 with Mg151: weapons do 34 damage  

i44 FW-190 A-8 with Mg151: weapons do 50 damage

And the goal is to make every weapon as powerful in any modification so the mod teams search out what figure is correct..

This way different weapons from different mod teams can be used in the same mission without unbalance..

example:

WW2 Team's Tiger was way to powerful...

What if Internal Editing made a allied tank and in RL© it could never beat the Tiger but in OFP the allied tank beats 4 tigers with ease... A big problem for mission makers..

As Soul_Assassin said.. i hope this works so other mods (vietnam , modern day) could do it too..<span id='postcolor'>

My appoligies,

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes i proposed it to Gogs... and i ment it like this example:

<span id='postcolor'>

Indeed Cogs mentioned it was you who came up with that idea, was going to mention it but forgot xmas.gif

I think that mods should share models and textures for their weapons so we don't have 6 different colt 1911's, 3 different ingrams, 10 M16's, so on.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Dec. 14 2002,03:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think that mods should share models and textures for their weapons so we don't have 6 different colt 1911's, 3 different ingrams, 10 M16's, so on.<span id='postcolor'>

This sounds like a universal standard for OFP, which is not a bad thing, in fact something I would very much like to see; obviously with the most realistic figures possible.

It would need a lot of co-operation between existing mods, plus further research to allay (or perhaps increase) the fears of the most stubborn "My country's tank is better than yours" Die hards.

Well i don't think sharing units is a good idea... every mod has another idea of perfection.. but making standrd damge levels might be good... that way mission makers can pick units from different teams which he/she likes but he/she doesn't have to worry about balance between the 2/3/4 team's units....

xmas.gif

I think this is a good way to calculate ammo damage for normal bullets:

Let's work with an M16A2 for now. There are many factors that can add up to the overall damage caused by a shot, such as caliber, muzzle velocity, and muzzle energy. We will take the caliber as a base right now, which is 5.56 Nato (.223 Remington). We than take the muzzle velocity in feet (2,800), turn the "," into a decimal, and multiply the caliber.

5.56 X 2.8 = 15.568

Since this is a bit much for this gun, we need to lower it with a factor. We will divide it by the muzzle energy, which is 1712. Sicne this is also a bit much, lets change it to 1.712.

15.568 / 1.712 = 9.093 (Rounded).

The damage value for an M16A2 should be 9.

If this is too complicated, or time consuming, here's a different way:

Take the caliber and make it the damage level.

So, here are some damage values for guns:

M16A2: 5.56

AK47: 7.62

AK74: 5.45

M2HB: 12.7

M21: 7.62

M60: 7.62

Etc...

This way is inaccurate though, and sometimes my first suggestion doesn't work that well either.

You guys figure the correct values out, once you have agreed on a set of values, PM me and I will move this and sticky it in the cpp forum smile.gif

OFP world today has been overrun by addons and only a few prove themselves to be really quality based. But now we really have to look into the realism of addons out there being made. No matter how good your model is there is always someone who can and will make a better one but a problem arises from the point of view of mission makers. Which one to use? And how to use addons from different mods without destroying the balance?

This needs to be disscussed in close detail with other MODS and there will be a meeting held on TUESDAY 17th DECEMBER 2002 at 18wow.gif0 GMT on our channel @:

#internalediting

on the quakenet server

I am planning to propose a new idea as well but till then i will keep quite. If you have anything to say or want to give suggestions, you are welcome to join us in dusscusion. }:-)