Sign in to follow this  
Loc-Dog

Force feedback!

I have a Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback joystick and I really don't like the way it operates in ofp. When i play ofp, it becomes all lose and really not that easy to handle. I am wondering how i can disable force feedback in ofp, so my joystick operates the default way!?

Open your controller settings in windows, there should be a FF option.

What do you mean with FF. My joystick is purtly a engine stick, if the force feedback is shut off in windows, then my stick dosen't center at all. Is there like a command you can start ofp without force feedback, if there was, then i could get my default center from my joystick engine. This is my problem, I can't see any option and belive me, i tried it all in the control panel (I think!wink.gif

I understand the FF part ok now tounge.gif. Microsoft have drivers for my controller in xp but the real software that have many extra futures does not work in xp and I have searched and looked everywhere. There is no software for my stick in xp anywhere at all (just drivers). It works just no extra options in the control panel sad.gif Microsoft, go figure. So I'm left with no software for something I payed for. Maybe this is something I sould write to them, like I would get an awnser. I would still listen to any ideas anyone else have about the disabeling the feedback in ofp.

I don't know much about FF (never owned one), but is'nt there like a switch or something on the joystic itself that can enable and disable FF ?

If your wallet can handle it, I strongely recomend the Cougar (Kick-ass HOTAS set without FF) See the link in my sig. wink.gif

I see your problem, what the real drivers should have are return to center and force feedback level settings separately. You say that the drivers are not for XP. How sure are you they will not function? I installed older drivers for my MS wheel under XP Pro, with a big warning message that they are not specifically for XP, and they work 100%, I am sure there are no problems for me.

here is something from Sidewinder manual

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you have a Microsoft SideWinder game controller that uses a version of our SideWinder software earlier than version 4.0, it's important that you read this section.

Version 4.0 works only with SideWinder USB-only controllers. If you have a SideWinder game port controller, you will need to continue using the older version of the SideWinder software that came with that controller, or you can download version 3.02 from the SideWinder Web site.

<span id='postcolor'>

If you have version 4.0, I would just throw em on XP. I would even throw 3.02 on, it is unlikely you will have major problems if they actually install.

I think it's time to toss the joystick and treat yourself to a new toy for Christmas:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Windows XP compatibility for SideWinder game port devices

This section applies to you if you own one of the following SideWinder game port devices:

SideWinder Force Feedback Pro SideWinder Precision Pro

SideWinder Force Feedback Wheel (game port version only) SideWinder Game Pad

SideWinder 3D Pro

These game devices and the accompanying SideWinder software (version 3.02) were designed to work with Microsoft Windows 95 or Windows 98.

If you have Windows 2000, the operating system includes device drivers for the game controllers listed above, so the device will function properly. However, the accompanying SideWinder software (version 3.02 or any previous version) will not function, so you will not be able to create profiles for these devices using the SideWinder software on Windows 2000. Microsoft is not planning to update the SideWinder software (version 3.02) for game port devices.

If you have Windows XP, these game devices are not supported.<span id='postcolor'>

(From http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/sidewinder/SWUpdate/default.asp)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Dec. 17 2002,14:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think it's time to toss the joystick and treat yourself to a new toy for Christmas:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Windows XP compatibility for SideWinder game port devices

This section applies to you if you own one of the following SideWinder game port devices:

SideWinder Force Feedback Pro SideWinder Precision Pro

SideWinder Force Feedback Wheel (game port version only) SideWinder Game Pad

SideWinder 3D Pro

These game devices and the accompanying SideWinder software (version 3.02) were designed to work with Microsoft Windows 95 or Windows 98.

If you have Windows 2000, the operating system includes device drivers for the game controllers listed above, so the device will function properly. However, the accompanying SideWinder software (version 3.02 or any previous version) will not function, so you will not be able to create profiles for these devices using the SideWinder software on Windows 2000. Microsoft is not planning to update the SideWinder software (version 3.02) for game port devices.

If you have Windows XP, these game devices are not supported.<span id='postcolor'>

(From http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/sidewinder/SWUpdate/default.asp)<span id='postcolor'>

He doesn't have one of the mentioned Joysticks I think... he has V2 of the flightstick which may be USB and 4.0 driver compatible.

Not supported probably means not supported... not, will not function. xmas.gif

Thants right, I have the USB crap, it says everywhere that the 4.0 does not work under XP for my stick. Mircosoft.. go f**k yourself.

I sure wish there were some way to juice up force feedback! My driver settings are at maximum for my ifeel mouse but the m16 barely kicks. The full force is felt when getting hit by a sabot shell while driving a tank at full speed and shooting the machine guns simultaniously, but I can just barely feel any recoil from the pistols. I did a search for third party drivers, hoping to be able to overclock the power, but found nothing. Immersion. God help me I do love it so.

I have recently got my hands on a Force Feedback 2 joystick and what i've noticed the Joysticks FF settings and Operation Flashpoint is incompatible. The 4.0 drivers (even the game properties part) are compatible with XP, shouldnt it be awkward if they werent? xmas.gif

What happens is that the settings for the joystick (FF level and Return-to-center tension) is ignored by Operation Flashpoint. Instead Operation Flashpoint defalts to a low FF level and no Return-to-center tension. Even if you turn FF off and set the return-to-center tension to high you still get FF turned on and no return-to-center tension. As far as i can see there is no ingame setting where you can change this. sad.gif

this pisses me the hell off, I have that same goddamn joystick payed 80 bucks for it, and now the piece of crap wont center on ofp, I mean the jet your trying to control will spin too much then when you try to get back level again it spins the other way and ends up crashing, CRAP!!!!!!!!! I hate this joystick, I've looked all over too, I wish codemasters would just release a freaking patch to enable force feedback in the game so it will work properly, Im going to go get my old old old old 4 dollar joystick that you have to adjust the crapy settings but at least that one is smart enough to go back to the (0,0) upright axis. HA HA gee I love flushing 80 dollars down the toilet ha ha fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wwwusshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh look there it goes in circles down the drain.

I've got the same stick and the same problem.

The joystick does work on games other than OFP too though. Joysticks weren't made for OFP. So if you aren't happy with it, why don't you just refund it?

But yes, it would be nice if BIS could sort this problem out for all us fools.

OFP is made for joystick as there are planes and shit, how hard is it to add a function to disable the feedback function in OFP. Its next to impossible to do loops and spins with a mouse or keyboard and boring as hell. BIS, If you guys are reading this, I've been playing your game since the first day (I'm not making that up) and I'm a hard core player, playing this game online 7 hours a day. PLZ help us ppl currently owning a Microshit Force Feedback 2 joystick. Microsoft might not be able to correct their own problems but I know you guys can! I'm not usaly this mad but when it comes to Microsoft, I get a little itchy.

Also same stick same problem.

I would love to see any kind of solution, even if its only a "default" return-to-center tension without any FF-effects.

So I thought i might take this thread back to the front page.

I bet there are more people who own this stick and can´t just afford to buy another one.The more of you write in here the higher the chances somebody comes up with something...