Sign in to follow this  
franze

Naga "strider"

naga1.jpg

naga2.jpg

Fun. Very. I set up a mission with these things and watched them tear apart tanks a 3rd of their height.

No, it's basically just a really tall M113 without the ability to carry personel and missiles. Until I get Resistance, having it act as a M113 will have to do.

Does it move like a m113? I mean does it just roll around without moving its legs?

In the game it just moves around on it's feet, the boardgame it's derived from it can either squat and use wheels on the knees and feet or walk.

Does it have a walk animation? Over at www.opflashpoint.org there's a guy making a mecha from mechwarrior and he needs help with his config.cpp files. Perhaps you two should get together. If you need sound effects for the moving joints, etc., I have tons of those. Check me out some time.

No, no animation aside from the gun turret. I'm running 1.46 so I don't think a animation would be possible.

Here's a update with a more modern screen:

naga3.jpg

The guys next to it are in alpha phase but they generally represent what Naga pilots look like.

What are those objects hanging at the top right and mid right, cameras? They sort of look like mid flight refeuling on a jet... Aside from that it looks cool and I wouldn't mind if you made russian ones too so that there could be capabilities for war with this thing. You should make it so that the w,s,a,d keys control the direction of the feet while the mouse turns the cockpit and fixed gun. That'd be dope! Like the tank in medal of honor, so easy to control. Hey, maybe you could work with that guy from the forums his email is mechmoder@hotmail.com who is making a mech from mechwarrior. Realizing what you guys aren't capable of I'd still respect and be gatified toward downloading and making missions for something like this. Only thing is I'd use the existing ofp units. Those red guys stand out. As do any red coloring on the mecha itself. Without camo its a huge "Hit Me" sign.

The pilots are in alpha skins, they'll be changed later on to a more sandy color scheme. Please understand though, it does not walk yet. Right now it's just a really tall M113 with a cannon and a few missiles.

"What are those objects hanging at the top right and mid right, cameras?"

Yes, sensors. The Naga uses the three sensors for better awareness on the field. Normally they'd be pivotable, but since they have no use in the game theres no point to that.

It has a crew of two, a pilot and a gunner, so there's no need for any special controls.

I plan to make a CNCS strider once the finishing touches are done with the Naga, and once the APC that goes with it is finished; so no worries about battles between the two.

If you had maya you could animate the legs with a new program called maya 2 rtm. It makes maya made animations importable to ofp.

Yes, I made custom weapons for those pilots. I don't have maya (and probably can't afford it) so making animations with it is probably out of the question.

So are the controls for that thing basically the w,s,a,d keys move the direction of the legs while the mouse turns the turret? That'd be easy and effective.

Driver position has the default WASD controls, the gunner has the default mouse control.

You don't need MAYA, you just need to know how to use O2.

You can animate almost anything, if you know what your doing.

Franze how'd you work out your scale of the Naga?

DragoFire

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Franze @ Dec. 07 2002,12:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Driver position has the default WASD controls, the gunner has the default mouse control.<span id='postcolor'>

Franze you do remeber the Naga has "NO" turret, other than a main gun and chin cannon that only covers a +45 to -45 degree arc, with a low pitch arc.

Thus the gunner can only fire a things in the front of the Naga, but he/she can detect/lock-onto targets all around the Naga.

If you want any info. just contact me, as I've got the complete HG rule books, along with HG & HG2 PC games (which I beta tested) and have been playing it for ago's now.

Also was part of the Anaheim Weapons Systems( for HG2).

regards,

DragoFire

"Franze you do remeber the Naga has "NO" turret, other than a main gun and chin cannon that only covers a +45 to -45 degree arc, with a low pitch arc."

Yep, I do. I've got it set for about 30 degree maximum pitch and a 50 degree negative pitch, and 110 degree arc to the sides on the current model. After I get the Long Fang Naga to work right, I'll change the arcs and modify the firing points (IF I can get L strela and P strela to work).

"You don't need MAYA, you just need to know how to use O2.

Franze how'd you work out your scale of the Naga?"

I think you can use O2 to model animations, but you need Resistance (which I don't have yet) to make them work.

I built the model from the two view drawings in the Southern Vehicle Compedium One, it's not completely to scale (if I made it completely to scale the pilots wouldn't fit correctly in the small cockpit cavity). It's about 7 meters tall to the missile launchers, I'd guess about 9 or 10 possibly if you include the upper sensor antenna.

Since it inherits from the M113 class, a lot of things to do with weapons coming out of the right places and such, are hard to overcome. As is it's a very fun vehicle to use (if your driver is good!wink.gif, and to see the field from a different scale is interesting.

And another screen of it for giggles...

naga4.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DragoFire @ Dec. 07 2002,06:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You don't need MAYA, you just need to know how to use O2.

Franze how'd you work out your scale of the Naga?

DragoFire<span id='postcolor'>

U cant animate animations and memory points. :/

Franze, have u tried naming the parts equivalent to the ofp's soldier parts so that u can have arm and legs movement/animation by using the ofp's soldier's config?...afterall its a humanlike exoshell, but then i guess u cant have the cockpit to use unless u can import the ofp's config for your naga. Hmm....plenty of configuration there, hope u have the time;-). All the best

I tried making a larger soldier (in the 5 to 6 meter range) and the game crashed with him; don't think it'd be possible.

Here's another screenshot, this time of the Long Fang Naga variant:

naga5.jpg

For those that don't know, those are two 90mm cannons on the shoulders.