Sign in to follow this  
brgnorway

The Iraq Thread

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 23 2003,14:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 23 2003,12:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Probably Amatzia Baram.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, my point is that one who is born and raised in a kibbutz and a commanding officer in the reservist corps is likely a wee bit biased!<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, when it comes to intelligence in the Middle East, all those Israeli officers, academicians and diplomats that came from a kibbutz know more about milking cows than what going on in the neighborhood.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 23 2003,13:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 23 2003,14:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 23 2003,12:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Probably Amatzia Baram.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, my point is that one who is born and raised in a kibbutz and a commanding officer in the reservist corps is likely a wee bit biased!<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, when it comes to intelligence in the Middle East, all those Israeli officers, academicians and diplomats that came from a kibbutz know more about milking cows than what going on in the neighborhood.<span id='postcolor'>

I suspect they know a thing or two about milking cows, but I also suspect they have an agenda close to israeli interests - which is my point!

smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 23 2003,14:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I suspect they know a thing or two about milking cows, but I also suspect they have an agenda close to israeli interests - which is my point!<span id='postcolor'>

How blind to think that Israeli academic, who are referenced by Israeli intelligence services themselves and who specialize in the issue being discussed can never tell the truth because they're Israeli.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 23 2003,13:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 23 2003,14:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I suspect they know a thing or two about milking cows, but I also suspect they have an agenda close to israeli interests - which is my point!<span id='postcolor'>

How blind to think that Israeli academic, who are referenced by Israeli intelligence services themselves and who specialize in the issue being discussed can never tell the truth because they're Israeli.<span id='postcolor'>

Which is not my point at all. What I'm perhaps failing to suggest is that the sources you mentioned have an agenda - and that they do not balance the information provided by ICG, rivaling factions of Ansar al-Islam and numerous news-agencies.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 23 2003,07:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 23 2003,14:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I suspect they know a thing or two about milking cows, but I also suspect they have an agenda close to israeli interests - which is my point!<span id='postcolor'>

How blind to think that Israeli academic, who are referenced by Israeli intelligence services themselves and who specialize in the issue being discussed can never tell the truth because they're Israeli.<span id='postcolor'>

There's a word for that *cough*

It's simple hypocrisy, if you guys hadn't noticed. People with whom they agree are unbiased reporters of the truth, standing up for peace and justice, and those with whom they do not agree are liars. Doesn't matter if they're Israeli or not. Iraqi citizens protesting on Iraq state TV are genuinely affectionate of their brutal government, while Iraqi defectors like Kdir Hamza are leeches, willing to say anything to please their new hosts.

Yes, but any source with strong ties to either side is suspect.

The best source is an impartial 3rd party, but they are almost impossible to find.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ Mar. 24 2003,02:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, but any source with strong ties to either side is suspect.

The best source is an impartial 3rd party, but they are almost impossible to find.<span id='postcolor'>

Strong tie? They were from the same country, that's all.

Hang on, I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick here - exactly who are we talking about?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ Mar. 24 2003,02:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hang on, I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick here - exactly who are we talking about?<span id='postcolor'>

hell if I know smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 24 2003,03:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ Mar. 24 2003,02:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hang on, I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick here - exactly who are we talking about?<span id='postcolor'>

hell if I know  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

An assesment of who the Ansar Al-Islam terrorist group is, their affiliations, allegiances, ties to Saddam and to Al Qaeda, if any. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ Mar. 24 2003,02:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 23 2003,07:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 23 2003,14:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I suspect they know a thing or two about milking cows, but I also suspect they have an agenda close to israeli interests - which is my point!<span id='postcolor'>

There's a word for that *cough*<span id='postcolor'>

.....and what word may that be?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 24 2003,08:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">.....and what word may that be?<span id='postcolor'>

"Cough".

tounge.gif

Jerusalem Post's ace reporter, Caroline Glick has a report on her experiences as an Israeli reporter in Kuwait.

You'll have to subscribe to the JPOST, I think, to view it. Personally I don't like subscribing but I used a dormant WEB email account of mine for the purpose.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 24 2003,07:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 24 2003,08:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">.....and what word may that be?<span id='postcolor'>

"Cough".

tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

hehe.......you can cough all you want Avon, but the fact is that I'm not what he suggests. Nor would I suggest that you are what some idiots accuse you of being smile.gif  (that was so cryptic I'm having problems understanding what I meant  biggrin.gif  .

Anyway - can you paste and copy the article from the israeli reporter in Kuwait please?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 24 2003,09:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyway - can you paste and copy the article from the israeli reporter in Kuwait?<span id='postcolor'>

Aw, can't you subscribe through a lousy WEB account?

I'm beginning to feel guilty conscienced about posting verbatim JPOST articles.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 24 2003,08:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 24 2003,09:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyway - can you paste and copy the article from the israeli reporter in Kuwait?<span id='postcolor'>

Aw, can't you subscribe through a lousy WEB account?

I'm beginning to feel guilty conscienced about posting verbatim JPOST articles.<span id='postcolor'>

hehe.....I'll try at least - it's complicated right? After all, I'm a person that with great difficulty barely manage to turn on the coffee machine tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 24 2003,09:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hehe.....I'll try at least - it's complicated right? After all, I'm a person that with great difficulty barely manage to turn on the coffee machine   tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

0764508946.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Ok, stop spamming you two. Take care of your chat via PMs.

Yet another dilemma for the coalition forces. They can't enter the cities of Iraq because of fear of collateral damage - and they should restrain themselves from incirceling the cities because it might cause a human catastrophie:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Norwegian Red Cross fears 'humanitarian catastrophe'

The Norwegian Red Cross is warning that catastrophe looms in Basra, southern Iraq. Years of Norwegian efforts to ensure fresh water supplies in the city have been destroyed by fighting in the area, and residents may soon be forced to drink sewage.

Jan Egeland, a former high-ranking diplomat who now leads the Norwegian Red Cross, said Monday that the situation in Baghdad is serious, but much worse in Basra. "It won't be long before epidemics break out there," he said.

The city remained without power or fresh water supplies for the fourth straight day, Egeland said, predicting that residents will soon be forced to flee the city or drink badly polluted water.

He said neither the Norwegian Red Cross nor other aid agencies were able to supply help to the area because of local fighting. He urged coalition forces to realize that Iraq's cities rely on a functioning infrastructure, if civilians are to survive.

Egeland, who played a key role in Middle East peace talks in the early 1990s, was in Basra himself in December. Norwegian aid workers have long been active in the area, providing water purification systems for thousands of poverty-stricken local residents who've been ignored by Saddam Hussein.

Fighting in the area led to a breakdown in water and electricity systems Friday afternoon, Egeland said, meaning that none of the purification systems was working.

"The situation is extremely serious," he said, "so we're raising the alarm."

<span id='postcolor'>

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article.jhtml?articleID=514823

A good benchmark of the public's thoughts on the war are the developments on the stock markets. When it started, stock exchanges boosted. NYSE had it's largest upswing in history. That was friday.

Today, markets are falling and oil prices are going up, meaning that the positive predictions have turned around.

I cannot stress however that the development represents what people feel *right now*. Stock exchanges have hysterical short term over-reactions to things. They are always overly optimistic and overly pessimistic. So some good news can swing them back.

On an interesting sidenote US defence stocks went down after the war started, but have recovered today and they are on the rise. It's being explained that modern warfare does not mean increased spending since the military uses what it has. In the case of a prolonged war, as it's looking right now there is a good chance that the military weapon supplies have to be reinforced in the near future.

The ironic situation is that: If you are Iraqi who supports Saddam and you want to make some money then your best bet is US defence stocks. If the war goes badly for the coalition there will be more military spending and the stock will rise. crazy.gif

Money Money Money, It's not funny.

In a rich man's world.

20% of America is against this war, that's 40 million people - twice the population of Iraq.

And don't forget the 200 million of Europe and Russia and of course the 1.2 billion of China. That's a big public opinion.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 24 2003,17:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A good benchmark of the public's thoughts on the war are the developments on the stock markets. When it started, stock exchanges boosted. NYSE had it's largest upswing in history. That was friday.

Today, markets are falling and oil prices are going up, meaning that the positive predictions have turned around.<span id='postcolor'>

Wanna bet? wink.gif