Raathgar

Player character can't use chat.

OK, I am trying to make a SP mission where the main characters thoughts will be displayed in the side chat in order to give the player new tasks. However whenever I run the scenario as the main character I get no text in the chat even though the trigger activates and the chat indicator at the bottom lights up for a bit. BUT if I run the scenario as another NPC I can clearly see the text the main character says in side chat when the trigger get activated. I am very new to the editor so I might be missing something simple.

The trigger I am using has a condition of: alive VK (VK is the player variable) with a 3s delay so that I have time to load in the mission before it activates.

On activation I set: VK sidechat "text"

This is what I see when i run the scenario as the main character.

This is what I see if I run it as a different character.

Please help.

2 hours ago, das attorney said:

edit: ninja'd by gom

Perhaps, worth some explanation for non-evident behaviour (seems broken in a certain way)   >>

Not sure to understand why:

In SP preview, at least, it's always the player who sideChat.

You can test all P1 or P2 or P3...; sidechat "blabla" you want, that's player who side chat and the message will appear or not, with only one question:

has player a radio, at the time of the chat ? and  no matter with the source!

So,

1 - no matter what is written: P44 sideChat "blabla" or player sideChat "blabla" is same.

2 - P44 can be a bare unit (with no radio), the chat will work depending on player.

3 - That means also, Raathgar player had a radio when his trigger fired. He switched probably on a radioed slot before the chat.

Just test in vanilla:

make a group, leader player, other units playable.

name the units p1, p2...

in a trigger:

cond: this && time > 6  (just to fire it after the preview start and not garbling with the former empty sideChat on start).

in act:

P1 sideChat "text"; hint str time

Now, edit the loadout of some units to remove the radio (P1, P3..) Just remember them.

You have to test: starting player with/without radio

but also:

switching on other units just after the trigger fires (see the hint)

but also:

change the trigger act for a non-radio unit: P3 sideChat "text"; hint str time;

18 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Check if you actually have a radio in the inventory.

Cheers

Oh... yeah. I am an idiot. The unit I used to make the character had no radio on it and I never bothered to check. Well, now I feel really dump. xD

Thanks man, and thank you all for the replies.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Raathgar said:

Oh... yeah. I am an idiot. The unit I used to make the character had no radio on it and I never bothered to check. Well, now I feel really dump. xD

You're not alone.

Spoiler

:yay:

Cheers

• Like 2