ianardo

Can I play Arma 3?

Hello, I need help from a computer geek real fast! I'm getting a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 with an i5-7300hq, and a GTX1050ti. Would I be able to play Arma 3 on that? If yes then would I be able to play on at least everything set to high with shadows, motion blur, grass, and AA off?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by ianardo
Wrong specs listed

That should be fine. You won't get massive performance, but provided you don't go mad with the view distance, it should be playable. Bear in mind that the performance you experience is as much about the server you're connected to as it is about the PC you're using.

My laptop is a little better spec'd than that and it plays just fine. 

By the way, you don't mention if it has an HDD or SSD. Either is fine, but SSD will make it smooth. Ideally, you'll have at least 4GB of RAM, 8 is better.

• Like 1

I have 8 gigs of RAM, with an HDD. I'll have view distance at probably 1000-1200. What FPS do you think I'd get? I'll be playing both Single player and MP.  I'd like to have 40-50 fps if that's possible. How bad will fps drop in cities and forests?

You don't need 50 FPS in this game - there's no part of this game that is so fast moving that you need 50 FPS. 30 is just fine and you should see that in most of what you do with the view distance set as you say. 

• Like 1

Arma is an incredibly detailed world which sits in (usually) a large terrain. Between these two things you'll be so distracted you shouldn't notice the FPS;)

• Like 1

played on a laptop with an integrated graphics set since the beginning of arma 2.

Never got over 20 fps, but still played many hours because I loved playing the game.

Only recently have I upgraded..

• Like 1

I was wondering about performance in cities and forests because I'd like to get arma 3 and all of the DLc. And I understand that Arma 3 apex Tonoa has ALOT of vegetation.

1 hour ago, Midnighters said:

played on a laptop with an integrated graphics set since the beginning of arma 2.

Never got over 20 fps, but still played many hours because I loved playing the game.

Man I feel. I have over 2000 hours pumped into arma 2 on a toshiba with an i3 and integrated graphics. Highest fps I got was 15. I'm upgrading to the dell inspiron to play arma 2 and arma 3. Gonna be a good change. I loved arma 2 on ultra low at 15 frames. I can't even begin to imagine how much I'll love it now that I might be able to get decent frames and graphical settings.

• Like 1

My observation is that there is some framerate drop on Tanoa in the big towns, and perhaps to a lesser extent in the deep jungle too, but it was never an issue. Certainly nothing like as bad as Paraiso or Chernogorsk.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Midnighters said:

All my laptops had discrete graphics, so I can't say, but I'd imagine using integrated graphics is going to look rough. Remember that using integrated graphics uses some CPU power to do the rendering, so discrete is a win on two fronts' it looks better and it frees up some of that CPU that we know makes all the difference here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ianardo said:

Hello, I need help from a computer geek real fast! I'm getting a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 with an i5-7300hq, and a GTX1050ti. Would I be able to play Arma 3 on that? If yes then would I be able to play on at least everything set to high with shadows, motion blur, grass, and AA off?  Thanks in advance.

This is video of a guy playing arma3 using the laptop you are considering.

Maybe it gives you an idea.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

All my laptops had discrete graphics, so I can't say, but I'd imagine using integrated graphics is going to look rough. Remember that using integrated graphics uses some CPU power to do the rendering, so discrete is a win on two fronts' it looks better and it frees up some of that CPU that we know makes all the difference here.

Well yes of course, I don't think I should've mentioned such as it is implied.

• Like 1