Sign in to follow this  
advocatexxx

Going to war with iraq?

The schools do not exist to teach people, they exist so that people can learn. The tools are there, it is not the systems fault that students chose not to use them. In the end, we are all responsible for our own lives.

"Try telling that to a 14-year old"

I will, as soon as I get one. Its the friggin parents responsibility to make sure their kid gets the best education possible.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Nov. 20 2002,19:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Among 18- to 24-year-old Americans given maps:

87 percent cannot find Iraq

83 percent cannot find Afghanistan

76 percent cannot find Saudi Arabia

70 percent cannot find New Jersey

49 percent cannot find New York

11 percent cannot find the United States

<span id='postcolor'>

I gotta find out where they took this poll.  It's very, very off.<span id='postcolor'>

I can't seem to find any details on their selection methodology used . For all we know, they got off the plane in DC and went to the innercity there. I wish I could find more details on this.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Nov. 21 2002,08:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Geography is as important as latin and art.

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

And by that you mean extremely important right? OK, suit yourself, don't give a damn about the rest of the world... however one of these days you might just have to, but you won't know enough. smile.gif

Being over confident is much worse than having less confidence than you should.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

I got a perfect score<span id='postcolor'>

Wow, you must be very proud. A 12 year old kid should know the answeres to those questions. I worry for future generations. It was a multiple choice test for crying out loud! How can somebody fail that with those trivial questions??

Anyway, very sad: On the first question, the one about what the current US population is - USA came last.

Also on the "Where were the Taliban and AQ movements based?" - The US, whose war this is cam in last with only 58% knowing (compared to 84% for brits and swedes).

Lol. 20% of the Brits did not know where the United States was. I can ímagine it "No, those are the western colonies. America? Never heard of it" wink.gif

38% of the Americans didn't know where Russia is. Better to learn that quickly so that you know from which direction the nukes are coming wink.gif

84% of the Americans didn't know where Sweden is! 93% of the Mexican didn't know it either.

41% of the Swedes didn't know where the Pacific Ocean is.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Nov. 21 2002,13:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Nov. 21 2002,08:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Geography is as important as latin and art.

And by that you mean extremely important right?  OK, suit yourself, don't give a damn about the rest of the world... however one of these days you might just have to, but you won't know enough.  smile.gif

Being over confident is much worse than having less confidence than you should.<span id='postcolor'>

No I'm serious. If I ever want to go to Greece and visit art museums, all these skills (geography, latin, art) will be very important. Why, even to this day, I don't leave my house without a box of crayons and a my latin bible. And all those Shakespeare plays I've read, they'll be of utmost importance whenever I might visit England, since I want to blend in and talk just as the locals do.

-=Die Alive=-

Lol, I did not realize the quiz was that easy! Although I messed up on the religion question... I'm sure Denoir knew that one so it's ok. smile.gif

I am not surprised that almost no Americans knew where Israel is, since their media/govt blows that "country" out of proportion every single day, when actually it's a puny little shithole (well no water, constant war). The fact that American youth do not know where Afghanistan is, terrible, and not all knew where Taliban and Al Qaeda was based... and where they are wow.gif

Here are the links to individual questions:

Q1

Q2

Q3

Q4

Q5

Q6

Q7

Q8

Q9

Q10

Q11

Q12

Q13

Q14

Q15

Q16

Q17

Q18

Q19

Q20

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">84% of the Americans didn't know where Sweden is! 93% of the Mexican didn't know it either. <span id='postcolor'>

Because no one gives a shit about Sweden.

That's the price you pay for neutrality. wink.gif

tounge.gif

Tyler

Heh, that's hysterical. 17% of Americans knew where AQ and the Taliban were based, but of course 81% know where they get their oil from tounge.gif

Here are the complete results:

1)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Which of the following ranges contains the correct population of the United States today? <span id='postcolor'>

graph1.gif

2)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Which of the following religions has the largest number of followers worldwide? <span id='postcolor'>

graph2.gif

3)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> The Taliban and al Qaeda movements were both based in which country? <span id='postcolor'>

graph3.gif

4)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Which of the following organizations endorses the euro as the common currency for its members? <span id='postcolor'>

graph4.gif

5)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Which region of the world is currently the largest exporter of oil?<span id='postcolor'>

graph5.gif

6)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">  Which two countries have had a longstanding conflict over the region of Kashmir?  <span id='postcolor'>

graph6.gif

7)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Periodically, drastic changes in ocean temperature cause weather changes around the world. What is the name of this occurrence?  <span id='postcolor'>

graph7.gif

8)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Which of the following has the highest percentage of its population infected with HIV, the virus that causes the disease AIDS?  <span id='postcolor'>

graph8.gif

9)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">  Pick the only two countries that have populations of over one billion people.  <span id='postcolor'>

graph9.gif

10) </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Take a minute and look at the map below. What is the westernmost city on this map?

?<span id='postcolor'>

graph10.gif

11)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Take a minute and look at the map below. The United States of America is shown by what number on the map?  <span id='postcolor'>

graph11.gif

12)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Take a minute and look at the map below. Russia is shown by what number on the map?  <span id='postcolor'>

graph12.gif

13)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Take a minute and look at the map below. Japan is shown by what number on the map?  <span id='postcolor'>

graph13.gif

14)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Take a minute and look at the map below. Mexico is shown by what number on the map?

<span id='postcolor'>

graph14.gif

15)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Take a minute and look at the map below. Italy is shown by what number on the map? <span id='postcolor'>

graph15.gif

16)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Take a minute and look at the map below. Sweden is shown by what number on the map?

<span id='postcolor'>

graph16.gif

17)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">  Take a minute and look at the map below. The Pacific Ocean is shown by what number on the map?  <span id='postcolor'>

graph17.gif

18)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">   Take a minute and look at the map below. Afghanistan is shown by what number on the map?

<span id='postcolor'>

graph18.gif

19)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Take a minute and look at the map below. Israel is shown by what number on the map? <span id='postcolor'>

graph19.gif

20) </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">  Take a minute and look at the map below. Argentina is shown by what number on the map? <span id='postcolor'>

graph20.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Nov. 21 2002,14:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">84% of the Americans didn't know where Sweden is! 93% of the Mexican didn't know it either. <span id='postcolor'>

Because no one gives a shit about Sweden.

That's the price you pay for neutrality. wink.gif

tounge.gif

Tyler<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif I guess that's true for most people, opposite for me. It's important to study success if you want to achieve it. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Nov. 21 2002,13:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">84% of the Americans didn't know where Sweden is! 93% of the Mexican didn't know it either.<span id='postcolor'>

5.jpg

When I want to know where Sweden is, I just think of that limp dick on the euro coin.  biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

What's da matter Sweden, can't get it up anymore? Ya know they got pills now that can cure that. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

And Finland, how does it feel to be Sweden's nut sack? Is it true that all of Finland's seamen must pass through Sweden to get to the rest of Europe?  biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Oh man, I kill myself....

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Nov. 21 2002,14:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Nov. 21 2002,13:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">84% of the Americans didn't know where Sweden is! 93% of the Mexican didn't know it either.<span id='postcolor'>

When I want to know where Sweden is, I just think of that limp dick on the euro coin. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

What's da matter Sweden, can't get it up anymore? Ya know they got pills now that can cure that. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

And Finland, how does it feel to be Sweden's nut sack? Is it true that all of Finland's seamen must pass through Sweden to get to the rest of Europe? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Oh man, I kill myself....

Did you know that 1 out of 5 Americans has genital herpies? Hope you are not American right now.

LMAO! I was wondering how to reply to his post, but you took care of it much better then I ever could biggrin.gif

If anything...these results show that ALL countries need improvement...not just the US.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ Nov. 21 2002,20:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If anything...these results show that ALL countries need improvement...not just the US.<span id='postcolor'>

I would agree with you, but from most of the results on that site I would change "not just" to "especially"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Nov. 21 2002,14:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Did you know that 1 out of 5 Americans has genital herpies?   Hope you are not American right now.<span id='postcolor'>

There is a differnce between penile erectile dysfunction and sexual transmitted diseases, but oops, they didn't teach us that in school either.

And do you know what's the hardest thing in the world?

Putting it in soft. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

-=Die Alive=-

If you look at the results there are questions that some countries did horrible in, and others that they were stronger in.

Also WHERE were these surveys done? Regions? Cities? Suburbs? Rural? In what enviroment? Mail? In person? What kind of sample? What kind of control?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Nov. 21 2002,14:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Nov. 21 2002,14:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Did you know that 1 out of 5 Americans has genital herpies? Hope you are not American right now.<span id='postcolor'>

There is a differnce between penile erectile dysfunction and sexual transmitted diseases, but oops, they didn't teach us that in school either.

And do you know what's the hardest thing in the world?

Putting it in soft. biggrin.gif

And they didn't teach you deductive resoning. smile.gif Sorry, I can't see the humor when someone doesn't get it.

Ok, let's get this back on topic, shall we? smile.gif

I agree with Akira, that obviously all countries need improvement.

fuck it. This is already too off topic for offtopic.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Off-topic forum is here so that you can discuss things that are somewhat related to the game, but not about the game itself. The forum subtitle reads:

"about wars, military conflicts and everything what pertinent to Army"

<span id='postcolor'>

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Nov. 21 2002,14:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ok, let's get this back on topic, shall we? smile.gif

I agree with Akira, that obviously all countries need improvement.<span id='postcolor'>

Same here, but I also agree with Tovarish, especially the US since they are a superpower and are pursuing various wars.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Nov. 21 2002,20:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">fuck it. This is already too off topic for offtopic.<span id='postcolor'>

No, it's not. News discussions and current events are not too offtopic. As for exactly where the line goes, it is at the moderators discretion. I think however that we are fairly consistent.