Sign in to follow this  
USMC Sniper

Questions on identifying weapons in movies

I have a few questions. Sometimes in movies I see some guns that I've never seen before, but they look realistic so I suppose they may be real. In Terminator, Arnold has this assault rifle at the police station scene that looks like an AK a bit, but only the magazine looks like a longer version of the AK47 standard clip. Can anyone tell me what kind of gun that is?

Haven't seen that movie in years so I forget the gun, but Kalashnikov made a large assortment of magazines of different sizes....

2041.jpg

2021.jpg

I wouldn't look to an Arnold Schwarsengiaoinger movie for accuracy with firearms. tounge.gif

LOL, sorry, couldn't resist.

Can you give us a picture of this weapon in the movie?

He uses an AR-18 with a 40 round magazine smile.gif

ar18b.jpg

Take that FSPilot, movies always have real guns just that they never operate realistically (eg. M16A2's on Fullauto).

Also, in tomorrow never dies, in the beginning they have this part where guns are floating all over the place, some of them I can identify and most I cannot. Ill post a pic shortly with every unknown gun outlined and numbered. Im having a very hard time looking for a pic of this so I decided to downlaod a DivX version of the movie, which doesnt matter because I have all of the Bond movies on DVD.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Nov. 19 2002,01:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Take that FSPilot, movies always have real guns just that they never operate realistically (eg. M16A2's on Fullauto).<span id='postcolor'>

One of the early versions in Vietnam did just that

That was the M16A1, but its easy to spot the differences between the two, the M16A1 had a barrel that slanted more to the inside nearer the barrel, had a lighter color, and usually did not use a banana clip. Other differences are probably on any site talking about guns.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Nov. 18 2002,17:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That was the M16A1, but its easy to spot the differences between the two, the M16A1 had a barrel that slanted more to the inside nearer the barrel, had a lighter color, and usually did not use a banana clip. Other differences are probably on any site talking about guns.<span id='postcolor'>

A better way to differentiate them are the handguard and carry handle/sight assemblies...

Almost any Semi-automatic weapon can be modified to fire at a full auto rate.

I've seen a Beretta 92F (yes, Not the 3 shot capable 93R) firing in a quick burst. Certainly it wasn't anywhere near what could be considered accurate at that increased ROF, but... well my point got lost in there somewhere.

A clanmember and friend from Russia was kind enough to record a russian TV series called "Spetsnaz" for me. He had it subtiteled so I can enjoy it to the max.

They are taking weapon things very serious in the series. They use the whole OFP weapon pool like AK´s, RPG´s, STRELA, UAZ´s, trucks..

It´s like you watch OFP on TV. Good one biggrin.gif

I am currently bringing a TV mission into OFP editor. Very much fun. Any eastern guy around here that knows the series ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That was the M16A1, but its easy to spot the differences between the two, the M16A1 had a barrel that slanted more to the inside nearer the barrel, had a lighter color, and usually did not use a banana clip. <span id='postcolor'>

Whoa there!

You obviously aren't familliar with weapon nomenclature. smile.gif

Yeah, the M-16A1 still used the triangular handguard, which was changed to a circular one with the M-16A2, as Mr.Frag said, that's the easiest way to tell the difference. The earlier M-16's had no forward assist and had an open-3 prong flash supressor. They also came with the 20 round mags. 30 round mags were introduced later on in Vietnam.

BTW. A clip is different from a magazine. A clip only holds on to the rim of the round, where a magazine encloses to round entirely. Don't confuse the two.

AR-15/M-16 site Go to the 'evolution' page.

M-16

m16a1-vn.jpg

M-16A1

m16a1.gif

M-16A2

m16a2.jpg

Hope that cleared things up.

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Nov. 19 2002,06:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Take that FSPilot, movies always have real guns just that they never operate realistically (eg. M16A2's on Fullauto).<span id='postcolor'>

So how to you explain the robot war scene in terminator 2?

Eh? Eh? eh...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Any eastern guy around here that knows the series ?<span id='postcolor'>

yes, i have first 3 . How many you have ? i got VHS tape in NY city.

They will made 9 more parts.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Frizbee @ Nov. 19 2002,03:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Almost any Semi-automatic weapon can be modified to fire at a full auto rate.

I've seen a Beretta 92F (yes, Not the 3 shot capable 93R) firing in a quick burst. Certainly it wasn't anywhere near what could be considered accurate at that increased ROF, but... well my point got lost in there somewhere.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, I saw Linda Hamilton firing one of these on a firing range in one of the "making of" Terminator 2 specials...apparently she underwent some firearms and military training form a "special operative" for her part in T2. wink.gif

I wonder what the majority of people would say about an action-movie if the movie was reallistic when it comes to weapon-physics biggrin.gif

recoil , muzzle-flash , rate of fire, size of a handgrenade-explosion , weapon-accuracy etc wink.gif

I guess that would be a dull movie eh ? tounge.gif

The only entertaining-aspect that would gain anything from that would be the sound I guess...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Nov. 19 2002,03:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A clanmember and friend from Russia was kind enough to record a russian TV series called "Spetsnaz" for me. He had it subtiteled so I can enjoy it to the max.

They are taking weapon things very serious in the series. They use the whole OFP weapon pool like AK´s, RPG´s, STRELA, UAZ´s, trucks..

It´s like you watch OFP on TV. Good one biggrin.gif

I am currently bringing a TV mission into OFP editor. Very much fun. Any eastern guy around here that knows the series ?<span id='postcolor'>

sounds very interresting. smile.gif

is there any way to see this in germany besides having a russian friend? biggrin.gif

the language doesn't matter. i've got no problems with russian.

yes its very annoying sometimes. i've seen a stephen king movie, i think it was called "Maximum Overdrive" (crappy movie but cool AC/DC soundtrack tounge.gif), where they were shooting with LAW. but they absolutely had no idea how to hold it! they didn't take it on the shoulder like in OFP, they were holding it like a firefighter would hold a water hose!

firefighter.gif

or some wannabe gangsters grab their UZIs at the colapsible stock instead of the pistol grip and the gun still shoots. wow.gif  tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">is there any way to see this in germany besides having a russian friend?

the language doesn't matter. i've got no problems with russian.<span id='postcolor'>

this is TV series. I think you can find it on Edonkey. Just search for "spetsnaz" video category. Must be 3 files 350+ in size. Divx5 format.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AKM74 @ Nov. 19 2002,17:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">is there any way to see this in germany besides having a russian friend?  

the language doesn't matter. i've got no problems with russian.<span id='postcolor'>

this is TV series. I think you can find it on Edonkey. Just search for "spetsnaz" video category. Must be 3 files 350+ in size. Divx5 format.<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks m8! smile.gif

LOL, I was watching some 80's remake of "The Blob", and some guy held a LAW out with one arm and fired it upwards so it blew the cover off a manhole. Madness! wow.gif

Does anyone know why black people in movies hold their handguns sideways? Is this some "gangsta" style or does it have an actual advantage?

i don't think it brings you an advantage. biggrin.gif it's even more inaccurate! it doesn't look cool if you ask me, it looks corny! tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Nov. 19 2002,11:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does anyone know why black people in movies hold their handguns sideways?  Is this some "gangsta" style or does it have an actual advantage?<span id='postcolor'>

Do I have a product for them!

hnsbig.jpg

It's old, but still funny...