azkaosa

Can there be to many ai/objects

So I've started working on a scenario where I won't to basicly populate the entire map, I found when playing that there is no real mods anything to make the world feel alive and I wanted to craft the entire world such as civilians walking around, and objects in places to make towns feel more alive but at the same time I want to have so randomly walk the map so you get a dynamic play thru everytime never know where the enemy   is making for a differnt play thru everytime, but I was so seeing before pouring a bunch of time into making a living world is there a limit to how much can be in the world at one time and how much lag will this create by having so everywhere and more objects added to the world 

Holy moly use some formatting will ya?

I've had good results using agents as civilians and a custom FSM (makes civs engage in random dialogs, meet at points of interest, daytime/weather behavior etc.) to rule them all.

No problem CPU wise, but the GPU seems to receive a good punch when having more than 300 units to render at once (with a max total of 450 active and 3800 with simulation disabled/object hidden on takistan), most likely due to the high level of detail of the vanilla models.

Didn't test this stuff with my recently aquired gtx 1080 though, quite a different beast than the brave gtx 770 which received a proper viking burial earlier this year.

AHcbiEz.png

I guess utilizing headless clients will only help for a part, since you'd still have to render all those agents.

Having more than 300 agents visible will cause all kinds of issues with arma (player getting vitruvian man pose for a few frames), especially on more demanding maps like altis/tanoa where 100-120 agents was a decent number to hit.

This is about civilians only, objects are a whole different matter.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi...

Have you looked at the ALiVE mod ? It goes a long way to accomplishing your goals - with minimal effort...

Regards,
Scott

No Mods? Look into Armaholic.com

Also try my SCAR, and SOCOM mods. Click on my signature. Also TPW adds a bunch of world population stuff. There is COS, EOS, etc. (sorry, I couldn't provide links as I'm on my phone and had to type this quick)

Cheers.

If you just want the world to feel more livey then definitely use TPW