Harzach

Problems with createVehicle/setPos precision

Howdy-doo,

I am trying to spawn a circular "arena" wall, with some success. The problem I am having is this:

*pic removed - eff you, Photobucket!*

I have tried every permutation of setDir/setPos/SetVectorUp after creating each segment of wall that I can think of, but the result is always the same. They never quite line up.

Here is the current (and most complicated) code I am using to debug:

Spoiler

for "_i" from 0 to 119 do
{
  _ix = (_i * 3);

_yaw = (270 - _ix);
  _roll = 0;
  _pitch = 0;

_dirx = sin(_yaw) * cos(_roll);
  _diry = cos(_yaw) * cos(_roll);
  _dirz = sin(_roll);
  _upx = cos(_yaw) * cos(_roll) * sin(_pitch);
  _upy = sin(_yaw) * cos(_roll) * sin(_pitch);
  _upz = cos(_roll) * cos(_pitch);

_x = round(100 * cos _ix);
  _y = round(100 * sin _ix);

_obj = createVehicle ["Land_PillboxWall_01_6m_F",[0,0,0],[],0,"CAN_COLLIDE"];
  _obj setVectorDirAndUp [[_dirx,_diry,_dirz],[_upx,_upy,_upz]];
  _obj setPosATL [(getPos player select 0) + _x,(getPos player select 1) + _y,0];
};

Again, I have tried every variation of setPos/setDir/setVectorUp that I can think of, so I am at a loss. What am I missing? Or is this just how it is? I could swear I was able to accomplish cleaner results in A2.

you could try these rotation tensor script:

use the first script to build a rotation tensor for ur desired x,y and z rotation.

the second script is used to apply the tensor to your vector.

if the rotation is always the same then u just have to use the first script one single time and just use the second script to apply the same rotation tensor again and again.

there is another solution posted by larrow in this thread. Maybe this could be faster... just try!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Harzach said:

_x = round(100 * cos _ix);
_y = round(100 * sin _ix);

What exactly do you think round does?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sarogahtyp said:

you could try these rotation tensor script:

use the first script to build a rotation tensor for ur desired x,y and z rotation.

the second script is used to apply the tensor to your vector.

if the rotation is always the same then u just have to use the first script one single time and just use the second script to apply the same rotation tensor again and again.

there is another solution posted by larrow in this thread. Maybe this could be faster... just try!

Thank you, I will take a look! Still, I am curious as to why these objects are not spawning "correctly" in the first place.

4 minutes ago, killzone_kid said:

What exactly do you think round does?

4 minutes ago, Harzach said:

Still, I am curious as to why these objects are not spawning "correctly" in the first place.

Succinct as ever, KK. Thank you!

*edit* - As expected, working perfectly now. What a forehead slapper!

Amazing! Glad the problem was solved.

kiZNd04.jpg

word of advice and experience ... spawn all your vehicles off-site, in the corner of the map or something. then use setPos/setVehiclePosition/etc to put it where you want it. Spawning your object at the location can present all sorts of unexpected issues.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

word of advice and experience ... spawn all your vehicles off-site, in the corner of the map or something. then use setPos/setVehiclePosition/etc to put it where you want it. Spawning your object at the location can present all sorts of unexpected issues.

but take care to don't spawn vehicles in water because it's engine will get damaged and can't be started anymore. Just my personal expierience with spawning at [0,0,0]

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

Yup, learned that one early on, and it's what I'm doing here (spawning at [0,0,0]). My error was blindly using a code snippet from other work without actually thinking about the specifics of what it was doing. Fortunately, hacks like me can rely on the scripting heroes of this forum to give us a shove in the right direction.

7 hours ago, sarogahtyp said:

but take care to don't spawn vehicles in water because it's engine will get damaged and can't be started anymore. Just my personal expierience with spawning at [0,0,0]

sarogahtyp,

I had this problem, but the vehicle just don't work on the machine that spawned it, other players was able to drive the vehicle.

no need to use 0,0,0 ...

Assuming it will be there for a few frames max, I generally do something like this:

createVehicle [<type>,[(random -1000),(random -1000),(1000 + (random 1000))],[],0,'NONE'];

1 hour ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

I generally do something like this

This just adds 3 commands and 3 arithmetic operations to the load for no reason. The createVehicle command has random radius param if you want that random placement.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, killzone_kid said:

This just adds 3 commands and 3 arithmetic operations to the load for no reason. The createVehicle command has random radius param if you want that random placement.

eh, it works :)

i would say worrying about using the + operator is classed as nitpicking.

4 minutes ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

i would say worrying about using the + operator is classed as nitpicking.

You think?

[1,2,3] - 0.0012ms
[1+1,2+2,3+3] - 0.0031ms

+ is a command, random is a command. You are adding 6 extra commands for no reason. Nitpicking? I call this waste.

3 minutes ago, killzone_kid said:

You think?

[1,2,3] - 0.0012ms
[1+1,2+2,3+3] - 0.0031ms

+ is a command, random is a command. You are adding 6 extra commands for no reason. Nitpicking? I call this waste.

that example is fake news. the goal of the 'random' is to put the vehicle in a random position, the top one (with the lower ms) is not doing this, functionally useless

also i am assuming you know how much waste and useless ms is spent engine-side and in BI scriptland, that a modder should not be wasting his precious time fretting over 0.000ths of a millisecond

6 minutes ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

that example is fake news

You drunk? 6 extra commands vs changing 0 to 100 in command param? Also you seem to underestimate how quickly time can add up.

IMO, efficiency/economy is always the better choice.

29 minutes ago, Harzach said:

IMO, efficiency/economy is always the better choice.

one resource many designers overlook is their own time ... during design, always consider your time/economy, not just cpu ms :)