Sign in to follow this  
earl

Sr-47 / sr-74 addon

as you are using a silencer i would ditch that idea and either make a completely new mag, or make new AK-47/74's both with and without silencers, as otherwise your weapon will seem like a unsilenced gun to the ai

Actually, I think I am able to change the sounds regardless of magazine type. So that's not a problem. I don't think the suppressor would be that effective, I don't the bullets would be slowed to subsonic speeds, so the suppressor only reduces the flash and some of the sound, it wouldn't be "silenced". If anyone else has info to offer about this, please do.

I know that the Russians manufacture 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 ammo with subsonic loads, so standard ammo must still break the sound barrier. If this is the case, it shouldn't act as a silenced weapon to the AI.

"Drats, foiled again! And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those..."

wink.gif

Uhm, well, I'm planning to make a Russian weapon addon - it's not just going to be a few weapons - I want to make LOTS!

Once you make one AK receiver, you can make just about any Russian weapon without a lot of extra work.

Here are some of the weapons that are on my mind:

AK47

AKMS

AK74

AK74M

AK104

AK105

AKS74U

AN94

RPK

RPK74M

PKM

SVD

SVDS

SVDK

SVUA

SV99

SV98

V94

KSVK

VSS

AS Val

Groza (system)

9A91

VSK94

and...

uh..

maybe some more too. But this isn't about Russian weapons, there's a whole other thread for that. This is about an American weapon that wishes it was Russian wink.gif

I thought I could finish the re-texturing tonight, but I'm not quite there yet, so here's a few progress shots (mostly to show Edgie his new fiberite buttstock). Turns out I found better texture for it than I had of the old style anyway, so all around it's a great improvement. Also note the buffer tube is no longer visible.

sr47_09.jpg

sr47_10.jpg

Nice work! Perhaps an idea for the silenced sound issue...maybe make some mags specifically for the weapon which are subsonic rounds and have full silenced effect...soldiers could get these from their crates...but like the real life version of this gun...when they are in a fix regualar AK mags could be used which would not have the FULL silenced effect as stated by yourself above since they are not specifically subsonic rounds and come from fallen enemy AKs which are not silenced weapons. That way a soldier could start out with his subsonic round but still have the available scavenge rounds from fallen enemies in a pinch just like its true like counterpart. Very nice work on this again! Kepp it up!

@Edgie - no sling pin. I'm already getting heartburn over the poly count - I decided to leave it off.

@Suchey - sounds like a good idea, but how will it work when you have 2 mag types in your inventory? Will it make it seem like 2 weapon types for the same gun (use spacebar to switch between SR47 ammo and AK47 ammo) or can you have the option to "reload" the weapon like HEAT/Sabot on a tank?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (earl @ Dec. 06 2002,18:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">@Suchey - sounds like a good idea, but how will it work when you have 2 mag types in your inventory?  Will it make it seem like 2 weapon types for the same gun (use spacebar to switch between SR47 ammo and AK47 ammo) or can you have the option to "reload" the weapon like HEAT/Sabot on a tank?<span id='postcolor'>

No. You change them by the menu in lower right corner, just like you change between tank rounds. You can look at the g8 from the hk pack. It have three different mag types.

exactly...I would say the switching between magazines as your would in a tank would be the best option in my oppinion. Im not exactly sure how the dammage models work, but under this system you would alos be able to slightly decrease damage and long range acuracy in order to simulate the subsonic round...I am not a gun expert and Im not 100% sure how the dammage and accuracy would be effected when using subsonic vs. other types of rounds, but I thing having the different types of magazines would most certainly help to drive the point home that this weapon is a multi-ammo type weapon as well as highlight its ability to use the scavanged ammo from the field...I can already foresee a player saying... "damn...if only I hand not used all of my subsonic ammo I could have taken out those guards silently". Im really looking forward to trying out the weapon when you have it completed!

Great!!! I didn't realize you could do that. That also means that I can make an RPK74 that can pick up 30-round AK74 mags, but start with more appropriate sized 45-round mags.

That will really make this a great weapon then, because as you say, you can try to conserve subsonic ammo, but use regular AK mags when required.

I'm still not very familiar with weapon config files, can I have different sounds for different mags then? (subsonic vs. supersonic ammo?)

Haven't had much time to work on the SR-47, but I came across these extraordinary images that are really going to make a great texture.

SR-47 left

SR-47 right

Credit goes to Ogre_h, who simply asked KAC for some hires shots of the weapon.  Go figure!!

Things aren't going as quickly as I expected - I'm still working on the basic SR-47. I've remapped all of the textures, and used the new images shown above for the model though, and aside from a few minor fixes, the SR-47 is complete.

I still need to uvmap and texture the optics, the AK74 mag, and the muzzle flash. I think I'm going to use the burnt orange mags for the SR74, I think it will look really good.

There are some renders of the latest SR47 progress here:

http://www.baconbomb.com/modworks

The SR-47 addon is getting very close to a beta release - here are some thumbnails for the full screens that can be seen at Baconbomb Modworks, these ones aren't linked:

sr47_t19.jpgsr47_t15.jpgsr47_t20.jpg

wow...that thing looks extremely proffesional. A very nicely done job...i especially like the look of the scope. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (earl @ Dec. 22 2002,07:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The SR-47 addon is getting very close to a beta release - here are some thumbnails for the full screens that can be seen at Baconbomb Modworks, these ones aren't linked:

sr47_t19.jpgsr47_t15.jpgsr47_t20.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

Outstanding work!!! I can't to get started using it. Now if only we had some good U.S. Special Forces addons with desert uniforms like those worn in Afghanistan. sad.gif

At least we have Christoph's Middle East soldiers with those turbans and beards to simulate Taliban/Al-Quaeda forces.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Very nice work! I especially like the scope...extremely well done. I am, however, receiving an error...when I place the soldier equiped with the weapon into the editor I get:

cannot load texture sr47\editorpics\w_rs47_acog_sup.paa

...this happens with both

I look forward to the new sounds and new handling as you continue this project! Keep up the great work!

wow..the scope looks fantastic.

but one question. when i tried to have fun with in in mission editor, it says there is a file missing. i think it is the one in the briefing menu notebook, showing picture of the gun in gears section. i wonder if my error is only happening to me.

edit: guess not biggrin.gif

great job smile.gif

Sorry guys, I forgot to check the inventory images - they weren't sized right, and were never converted to PAA properly. AKM74 e-mailed me to notify me of the error, so it's fixed now.

You'll have to download it again to get rid of the error message - luckily it's a small file.

http://www.baconbomb.com/modworks/files/sr47beta.zip

Great stuff there earl, absolutely terrific work, and the sight view is far better than any previous ACOG sights...it would've been good to have a different firing sound, but then again it's probably a problem with the default AK-47/74 sounds, which aren't too good.

I'm looking forward to using these with some good Desert special ops troops - Tora Bora here we come! smile.gif

this gun looks so sweet smile.gif

i hope you manage it soon to make it silenced... not only from the sounds but also for the enemy.

so long, lets wish mankind puts down their guns and starts to calm down by playing war only in virtual reality... my xmas wishes for all of us.

greetings and merry xmas

-pang xmas.gif