Sign in to follow this  
Major Fubar

Total conversion mods...

Just a quick post to get public opinion, and feedback from modmakers.

There are many total conversion mods in the works - WW2, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Falklands, sci-fi etc.

My question is: are any going to get finished while OFP is still popular?

To do a decent full conversion campaign requires a LOT of work: new vehicles, units, maps, missions etc.

None of the existing mods look anywhere near completion. In fact, I'd be surprised if any are even near the 50% mark.

My concern is that it will literally take years to complete these mods..by which time newer and better games than OFP will probably be around...maybe even OFP2.

That is why I like it when mods release addons as teasers - it means we've got something we can use now. Some mods have a policy of no releases until completion, which will be a real shame if the mod never gets completed...

What do people think: are total conversions a pipe dream which will never be completed, or have I got it all wrong?

Feedback from any mod team memebers would be most welcome.

Some mods are bombing ahead, like the Malvinas campaign looks as thought it's got the base of the mod sorted.

I think some will be completed in time but others are just going to die.

I want a good Falklands one to come out - there is 2 -question is which one will come out first?

Operation Vietnam looks deaded but apparently they are doing stuff but not showing it.

I don't think that a OFP rival will come soon. Most of what is in the OFP2 wish list could be done on OFP1. Look at the demo of OFP and compare it to resistance and you realize that BIS gonna keep on OFP1 for a while.

i dunno a ofp rival cant be to far off, H&D2 looks to have big maps big enuff to fly planes, and multiplayer it sez big, i dont see it replacein my cpy tho.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ Nov. 03 2002,03:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just a quick post to get public opinion, and feedback from modmakers.

There are many total conversion mods in the works - WW2, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Falklands, sci-fi etc.

My question is: are any going to get finished while OFP is still popular?

To do a decent full conversion campaign requires a LOT of work: new vehicles, units, maps, missions etc.

None of the existing mods look anywhere near completion. In fact, I'd be surprised if any are even near the 50% mark.

My concern is that it will literally take years to complete these mods..by which time newer and better games than OFP will probably be around...maybe even OFP2.

That is why I like it when mods release addons as teasers - it means we've got something we can use now. Some mods have a policy of no releases until completion, which will be a real shame if the mod never gets completed...

What do people think: are total conversions a pipe dream which will never be completed, or have I got it all wrong?

Feedback from any mod team memebers would be most welcome.<span id='postcolor'>

OPGWC Mod is releasng his demo today(hopefully i got some big probs with the FTP, file limit ,etc ,etc)

and it has EVERY OFP vehicle retextured to desert, a completly new island with new objects and NEW TEXTURES (over 200 were used) and also 12 new weapons and new sounds for everything

So I think it could be something big but MODS should work faster. I mean what mods are doign right now is making addons but how will this MOD work , with new addons only ?

They should start making new config.bin and new data.pbo so it could be like a new game..

Counterstrike is still (quite:)) popular and how old is Half Life?wink.gif

Additionally, I suppose one could say that experience learned by modding OFP1 might put one in good stead for OFP2.

Mind you, I could be talking utter bollocks. It has happened.

Prospero

I think that they should do checkpoint every 2 months where they release their work like it happened/happens in counterstrike or DOD. All those mods kept updating so I think that ofp mods should do somethin in the same line smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Prospero @ Nov. 03 2002,19:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Counterstrike is still (quite:)) popular and how old is Half Life?wink.gif

Additionally, I suppose one could say that experience learned by modding OFP1 might put one in good stead for OFP2.

Mind you, I could be talking utter bollocks. It has happened.

Prospero<span id='postcolor'>

Reason for that is its a multiplayer game that got super popular now so many ppl play it the amount of ppl playin drags more, ofp it seems even with its great reviews and awards alot of ppl dont even know what it is, like in a screen shots forum everyone was askin what the game was.

well.. look at the total annihilation mod coming out.. they have a beta pack of units.

I hope that total conversion goes all the way..

TA in operation flashpoint! what a dream!

I have to agree that it would be a good idea for mod teams to release some units as teasers to maintain the end user's interest in the mod. I think DKM mod works in a great way, releasing new units every now and then. Of course, we must be patient because you cannot create a good mod within a few days, and quality is something we all value, right? smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cam0flage @ Nov. 04 2002,12:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and quality is something we all value, right? smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Right