Wiki

Lost the ArmA 3 hype

On 3/10/2017 at 7:17 AM, wiki said:

So, I'm back to editing - no interesting game for quite a long time now (at least, none that I'm interested in).

As said, I've already released a new mission and I'm currently working on another one.

But when I see the lack of feedback, I think I'll make my next work private - I'm tired of making stuff forungrateful people...

Not all feedback is verbal or explicit, only tiny amount is.

And only 1 in 100 will bother to do more than play. 1 in 1000 will give actual feedback.

but every player is providing non-verbal feedback constantly.

If you work on MP stuff, I would suggest hosting your own small server.

Also if you want feedback, I would put easy-to-use links to provide feedback within the game, such as on a menu. press the 'feedback' button on the menu to open the website/forum page. make it easy for people to give verbal feedback.

When working on MP stuff, I rarely even listen to the verbal feedback, except for bug reports. What someone will tell you is not often what they are feeling:

"oh yes i love this mission" as he disconnects to go play something else. 

• Like 1

If I'm writing some new project, the only proper motivation, that makes me continue, is my own desire (as you can often read on these forums). Because I want to make it, I can forsee, how cool it may be, I want it happen and can't resist creating it (no peace of mind till it's complete). Otherwise it simply doesn't work, no motivation.

When it is done however, I'm releasing it to see, what other people will say. If they say much and provide constructive feedback, I tend to continue such project, in dialog with feedback providers, implementing every idea/request, I find cool/needed, now both for myself and the others. My ideas induce their ideas, their ideas induce my ideas and so forth. 

This is a good system IMO, because

1. Every time I'm doing, what I want for myself;

2. only if it is worthy of further effort, which is proven by amount of valuable feedback, I continue development, otherwise projects stays on 1.0 and I put my mind elsewhere, awaiting for the next irrestible idea to appear;

3. If me-users dialog is dynamic and fruitful, results tend to be both interesting and often decently popular, because "my baby" becomes "our baby", shaped now by wishes of many. 

• Like 6